DSC1 And Open Licence

Gary Mills

I have book in for my DSC1
I have been turned down 3 times now for an Open for my .22 and 17HMR
Can any one tell me once i pass (if i pass) will this help in any way in getting an Open
Some people say yes and others say it wont help in any way

ATB
Gary

No expert. But neither are deer legal. DSC1 is to do with deer not vermin. So I don't think they would open it up on the fact you have done a deer course. May be wrong. Have asked the FAO and why you have been turned down.
How long have had your ticket and how much land. This may have a factor.
Andrew

A think a lot depends on how long you've had your ticket and how much land you've permission on
don't know if level 1 will help you cos you're rifles are not deer legal
I know i got my open ticket before i did level 1 but it was a while ago (years)

They may well give you a deer legal calibre on an open ( need open for paid stalks) but does not follow they would give open on your your rimmies.

My FAO said yes
But it was poo pooed by some one else all 3 times and he will not give me any reason other than he thinks i do not have enought experience yet

there is a safety specific test component to the DSC 1 regarding the safe use of firearms on quarry, that is a good measure of competence well at least to some forces!

You need more than one ground though or invites and quite often a letter or two inviting you as a guest to shoot is all you need.

A think a lot depends on how long you've had your ticket and how much land you've permission on
don't know if level 1 will help you cos you're rifles are not deer legal
I know i got my open ticket before i did level 1 but it was a while ago (years)

I have 308 and 243 deer rifles
and i have deer on my licence as long as i go out with some one with a open on the deer Cal

Gary
how long hav you held an FAC for ??? Wot are your conditions...??
DSC will not matter a jot because of the calibres you hold
this is a licensing matter based on how long you hav held and FAC for with theses specific calibres

Maybe its just that you've not had it long enough then or not enough ground to shoot over it can help if you know someone a stalker or keeper that could put a word in for you

Right I see the problem
most FLD's want you to go full term on an FAC before they open it so you can gain experience
which now is 5 years
legally i believe only 2 years is the rule but only under exceptional circumstances will you get it before your next renewal
if you really are that bothered then you will need to take legal action now or proove your experience beyond all doubt, don't mess about just asking for it
Either take them to task or wait untill next renewal
you hav waited 4 years so far
if on next renewal they still disregard your application then take them to task
but remember you hav asked for it already and been turned down and that is not just the first time either
you need to prove your worth I am afraid

Gary,
I got my .22 opened after having a FAC for only a year - just wrote and asked them to open it and they did!
But, I did speak to the FEO on the 'phone first, and what he was interested in was basically how much I'd used the rifle in that year. If it had been just sitting in the cupboard for a year I don't think it would have been opened, but I told him how often I went out after rabbits, how much target practice I did, and how much ammo I'd gone through in a year (which of course he could verify by looking at the list of purchases on my ticket).

so, maybe they don't think you're using it often enough to gain the relevant experience of using it? Just a guess.

I have 308 and 243 deer rifles
and i have deer on my licence as long as i go out with some one with a open on the deer Cal
Another load of crap
get your or a mentor to write a letter in to say you hav a safe attitude to deer stalking and hav culled many deer in their presence to a satisfactory standard to present deer into the food chain
that should get that condition removed so you are free to go and stalk deer as and when you like

just remember the only thing the pod are looking for with granting a open license is ---- has this person got the neccesary skills and experience to JUDGE if land is suitable/ safe to shoot on and use the right rifle for the land etc etc.

I managed to get a fully open ticket after only 2 years off staffs police for 22 ,223 , 243 ,308 but it was a right battle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i got there

My FAO said yes
But it was poo pooed by some one else all 3 times and he will not give me any reason other than he thinks i do not have enought experience yet

get them to write to you explaning why they will not open then send this to BASC on here DJC

forgot to say do everything in writing/email i never speak to them on the phone, if refused get a full reason in writing and then act upon it

DO EVERYTHING IN WRITING ALWAYS/VERY VERY IMPORTANT

My FEO told me when I applied for my licence that my level 1 ment nothing when it came to gaining my FAC as it was about the deer nothing about owning a rifle but in saying that they always issue an open ticket in scotland.

You're licensed under the Met right? - that answers your question if so as I gather they aren't at all keen on giving open licences to anyone.

is this correct that you need an open ticket for paid stalking???

No. Your ticket will say "...or land deemed suitable by the chief of police..." - any pro stalker will have their land cleared.

An "open ticket" only requires that you have lawful permission on land you deem suitable.

Back