Advertising Board at Deerstalking Fair

jamross65

Opinions sought.

I was talking with my mate about a suggestion for an idea that had been made on here and mirrored one we had also seen at other events, whereby folk with items for sale bring them to the fair and leave them on a stand for folk to see and buy.

Well, we thought about a variation on the theme.

If we put up an advertisement board at the fair, anyone who wants to bring anything they want to sell or swap, can put a card on the wall with the items listed and a mobile number. Anyone at the fair looking and interested can make the call and perhaps buy the item there and then. Saves the hassle of posting and providing a table for goods and space. Notice however how I didn't say 'saves them money' on posting an item through the GPO though.

Because there will be an honesty box at the board that will ask for a donation for being allowed to advertise on it. I would think anything up to a fiver would be fare given postage on some items but that is solely down to the person using it because 50p is 50p and welcome.

Postcard size only for posting advert to keep it sensible.

There is a local charity, Aberlour Child Care Trust that offer respite for families with children suffering from physical and learning difficulties that are based a few miles away in St Boswells. I think they would be a worthy recipient of any proceeds or donations?

Not sure though if folk want to come to a Fair and worry about bringing stuff with them, although what trouble is there in sticking something in a boot and if it does not sell taking it home? Plus point, feeling good about dropping a couple of quid in a box regardless. Trust me, I have met some of the kids at this service and it would break your heart...

Anyone think this would work or not enough folk with stuff to move on?

Can`t see any reason why it shouldn`t work.

Neither can I Basil, just not sure if those coming would see a benefit to them when they can pop a thread on here for example. As I said, any amount made over the weekend would be worth it regardless...

I won't be there but it sounds an excellent idea and there is nothing to stop anybody posting on here an item for sale that will be available at the fair on the day.
The only downside would be the pain of lugging something about with you that you may not want to carry.

I won't be there but it sounds an excellent idea and there is nothing to stop anybody posting on here an item for sale that will be available at the fair on the day.
The only downside would be the pain of lugging something about with you that you may not want to carry.

thanks for highlighting that possible issue.

there is no real problem though, because I should have explained that the item can be left in the car as the parking is all within a minute or so walk of the venue so if you got a call you could pop out for the item or both of you do the deal car boot style.

If you want to sell it bad enough you`ll take it .. unless of course it`s larder sized!! If you didn`t sell to one there`s a chance you will sell to another.

A very good idea other than large items, firearms could be an issue, I don't like leaving them in the car at the best of times, but imagine plods face when reporting it stolen and a dozen unknown suspects who you have shown it to !
Wingy

Back