Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota HiLux

Toyota HiLux

I am curiouse about the Toyota HiLux 4x4 4 door with the diesel engine .

I've seen a great many of them while in the Philippines but have never driven one .

Have any of you guys driven these and the gas engined version that we normally see here in the USA ?

I am curiouse about the thoughts of the gas version verses the diesel version .

Now with that being said I doubt if I'm able to get the diesel version in the USA anyway .
    GO Manny Pacquiao !!!
    Doubles , 6.5mm' s , 444 Marlin's , cast bullets , Sika Deer and the Philippines

Hi 6 point.
    I do not think a Gas/Petrol Engine is available in UK. As you may be aware our Petrol prices are frightening at 1.33 per Litre. So most any commercial or working vehicle has a Diesel in it. Modern Diesel Engines are very good and have come a long way in the past 10 years. For example the 3.0 Diesel in the Jeep has more Torque than the 5.7 Litre V8 Gas.

I'm sure yorkie is right , i spoke to a pal of mine that used to work at a toyota dealers and he had never heard of a hilux petrol model apart from very early models,a petrol version would have a very poor resale value to say the least...!!

The hilux is available in petrol! It is a V6 monster imported from OZ. and they don't like LPG! The young lady that had one at work had to wait 4 months to get a new engine for her's. as the first one she had in the truck. was knakerd after 3000 miles running LPG.

I had a tricked-out Hilux 3.0 diesel on hire for 16 days through Zambia and Namibia last year.

Utterly stunning piece of kit - could'nt say enough about it. It was never even phased in any conditions - including spending three hours in low box 4x4 grinding through the softest sand you can imagine on the edge of the Kalahari.

I have no idea why anyone would want a petrol engine - endless gut-churning torque and very good fuel consumption (important when the filling stations are hundreds of miles apart) - as others have said the modern diesel is miles away from the status of twenty years ago (maybe where the US is in engine technology?). Also very comfortable.

I did own one of my own (also in Africa) a 2.4 diesel - very good and did a lot of hunting from it, surprisingly good as a single cab in 'extreme' 4x4 mode.

the indestructible Tallywagon!

"Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I have had the 2.5 diesel version from new. Bought it in 2005 and other than a rear exhaust box ( which I have just fitted), tyres and service the only thing I have paid for is diesel. I will be looking at a new one in 2 years time and have to admit that other than the new Ford I will be looking at the new model.

I would like the Toyota Tundra, if i lived in America that is.
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    As you may be aware our Petrol prices are frightening at 1.33 per Litre. So most any commercial or working vehicle has a Diesel in it.
    ...And diesel is currently 1.39
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    ...And diesel is currently 1.39
    Terrible isn't it, I notice it most when filing tank from empty.
    I bought the car in July 09 and filling tank cost about 30, now it takes nearly 45
    Not sure how much longer I can afford it, after all at 70mpg it doesn't last long