Toyota HiLux

6pt-sika

I am curiouse about the Toyota HiLux 4x4 4 door with the diesel engine .

I've seen a great many of them while in the Philippines but have never driven one .

Have any of you guys driven these and the gas engined version that we normally see here in the USA ?

I am curiouse about the thoughts of the gas version verses the diesel version .

Now with that being said I doubt if I'm able to get the diesel version in the USA anyway .

Hi 6 point.
I do not think a Gas/Petrol Engine is available in UK. As you may be aware our Petrol prices are frightening at £1.33 per Litre. So most any commercial or working vehicle has a Diesel in it. Modern Diesel Engines are very good and have come a long way in the past 10 years. For example the 3.0 Diesel in the Jeep has more Torque than the 5.7 Litre V8 Gas.

Yorkie.

I'm sure yorkie is right , i spoke to a pal of mine that used to work at a toyota dealers and he had never heard of a hilux petrol model apart from very early models,a petrol version would have a very poor resale value to say the least...!!

The hilux is available in petrol! It is a V6 monster imported from OZ. and they don't like LPG! The young lady that had one at work had to wait 4 months to get a new engine for her's. as the first one she had in the truck. was knakerd after 3000 miles running LPG.

I had a tricked-out Hilux 3.0 diesel on hire for 16 days through Zambia and Namibia last year.

Utterly stunning piece of kit - could'nt say enough about it. It was never even phased in any conditions - including spending three hours in low box 4x4 grinding through the softest sand you can imagine on the edge of the Kalahari.

I have no idea why anyone would want a petrol engine - endless gut-churning torque and very good fuel consumption (important when the filling stations are hundreds of miles apart) - as others have said the modern diesel is miles away from the status of twenty years ago (maybe where the US is in engine technology?:D). Also very comfortable.

I did own one of my own (also in Africa) a 2.4 diesel - very good and did a lot of hunting from it, surprisingly good as a single cab in 'extreme' 4x4 mode.

I have had the 2.5 diesel version from new. Bought it in 2005 and other than a rear exhaust box ( which I have just fitted), tyres and service the only thing I have paid for is diesel. I will be looking at a new one in 2 years time and have to admit that other than the new Ford I will be looking at the new model.

...And diesel is currently £1.39

Terrible isn't it, I notice it most when filing tank from empty.
I bought the car in July 09 and filling tank cost about £30, now it takes nearly £45 :(
Not sure how much longer I can afford it, after all at 70mpg it doesn't last long :stir:

Neil. :)

£1.41 for diesel here, was 1.43 the other day ffs

Just put new boots (general grabber ATs) on my hilux so expect a drop in fuel economy but heyho, needs must and I wouldn't be without it

The diesel crew cab i had did 340, 000 miles, & still pulled well . Services are a must . The body more or less disappeared with rot here, the heater packed in, the wipers were iffy at best. after 15yrs of graft & log trading it was exported & i still was £800 in pocket !

ps- over priced & over hyped, thanks to Mr clarkson:-|

I have 17yr old hilux surf 3.0 d looked after it well it's got 137000 on clock and passed mot with just a bulb needing fitted I have had more trouble with my new invincible 12 plate been back at garage 3 times for truck and 4 times for hood leaking . But they are still good to drive and seem ok off road

I would like the Toyota Tundra, if i lived in America that is.
Cheers
Richard

To be honest for here in the USA I would prefer a new Chevy Silverado 4x4 4 door . But since Obama kinda bought General Motors out , I'm a bit negative to the GM product .

Now with that being said I might give consideration to a Toyota next time I get a new one .

My gunsmith buddy just recently bought a slightly used Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 Crew Cab thats pretty well loaded . While I have NEVER been a Ford person that isn't a bad ride !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back