Replacing a sound moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxhunter

My T8 is about knackered and I am going to replace it.

Do I have to apply for a variation to have the T8 removed from my certificate and have the new one added?

Or can I buy the new one from a RFD and have him destroy the old one and inform the police of this.

On my FAC the sound moderator is entered as makers name UNKNOWN.

Thanks for any advice.

Legally speaking you have to dispose of your nackered one, then apply for a new slot to buy your new one.
in practice I believe some rfds might replace your mod and turn a blind eye to the paperwork etc.

If there's no visible marking (NVM) ie serial number or manufacturer, and your FAC states this, any RFD I know will swap out on a 1:1 basis and will then deal with the old mod...

Cheers
i.

My FAC states Makers name UNKNOWN and ID Number NVM so I should be able to just swap it on a 1:1 basis then.

Thanks

I always thought a moderator for a particular cal. Was the same as a rifle regards slots on your licence, if you "sell" your knackered one to your RFD then you have a slot for a new one. Just inform your FEO within 7 days - 1 sold 1 bought
No issues
Wingy

I always thought a moderator for a particular cal. Was the same as a rifle regards slots on your licence, if you "sell" your knackered one to your RFD then you have a slot for a new one. Just inform your FEO within 7 days - 1 sold 1 bought
No issues
Wingy

Is this correct?
i was told that if you sell a rifle to an rfd in order to buy a replacement you must send in your fac and do a 1 for 1 variation to free the slot up.
i was also told that legally this is the situation with mods (although its not always like that in practice).

Do I have to apply for a variation to have the T8 removed from my certificate and have the new one added?

Or can I buy the new one from a RFD and have him destroy the old one and inform the police of this.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,
Don't forget that Jackson Rifles T8 is covered by a limited lifetime warranty (if your mod is over 2yrs old).

Thanks for any advice.

Yes you do. Lack of serial numbers temp dealers and fac holders to fiddle but its highly illegal.

Illegal under which bit of legislation?

At a guess. The firearms act!

If you really think it is legal to swap items on your FAC just because they don't have a serial number, then give your local police dept a phone call and ask them to clarify it for you!

At a guess. The firearms act!

If you really think it is legal to swap items on your FAC just because they don't have a serial number, then give your local police dept a phone call and ask them to clarify it for you!

They'd be the last people I'd ask. Nor would the Home Office be well-placed to give an answer, since like the police they'd like everything to be controlled as much as possible. Having said that I'm not about to swap a moderator, so this concerns a hypothesis about what the law means, rather than advice to someone who is in need of a new mod.

There are those who believe that a moderator that is not an 'accessory to a S1 firearm' is not subject to FAC control.
They might also believe that a moderator is not an 'accessory to' a S1 rifle unless it is attached to one.
If would then follow that a moderator not attached to a S1 rifle is not subject to FAC control: and futhermore this could be true notwithstanding guidance from Police and Home Office that moderators able to withstand fullbore pressures should not be sold to folk who don't have FAC-authority to use them.

:)

Last edited:
Illegal under which bit of legislation?

Whether it be an authority for a rifle or an accessory like a sound moderator the authority has the same status. according to section 57(1) of the 1968 act; any accesory designed to deminish the noise or flash of a section 1 firearm is also subject to a section 1 certificate . Therefore the remaining parts of the firearms act that apply to section 1 certificates and the items they licence apply such as the firearms rules/fees regulation statutory instruments that dictate that a variation has to be sought for the authority in the first instance and a one for one variation sought to change old for new, after having disposed of the old one from your possession.

They'd be the last people I'd ask. Nor would the Home Office be well-placed to give an answer, since like the police they'd like everything to be controlled as much as possible. Having said that I'm not about to swap a moderator, so this concerns a hypothesis about what the law means, rather than advice to someone who is in need of a new mod.

There are those who believe that a moderator that is not an 'accessory to a S1 firearm' is not subject to FAC control.
They might also believe that a moderator is not an 'accessory to' a S1 rifle unless it is attached to one.
If would then follow that a moderator not attached to a S1 rifle is not subject to FAC control: and futhermore this could be true notwithstanding guidance from Police and Home Office that moderators able to withstand fullbore pressures should not be sold to folk who don't have FAC-authority to use them.

:)

Dalua, we have your paper and you will get a response but please do not allege that they are off ticket or not controlled until screwed on.

If you want to own a sound mod for use then it must be on an fac whether or not its attached.

Dalua, we have your paper and you will get a response but please do not allege that they are off ticket or not controlled until screwed on.
If you want to own a sound mod for use then it must be on an fac whether or not its attached.

I hope my post was clearly, and merely, an invitation to those who like to think about what the law means to do just that.
I'm not sure what to make of your second sentence!

Dalua, i think "for use" seem to be the key words in the previous post, that gives the impression that if you have no intention of using the mod you dont need a licence to possess it

Ian.

If you transfer your moderator to (private sale or rfd) you then free up that slot to then fill it with a newly acquired moderator for the same calibre specified on your license.
Both sale and purchase have to be informed to your FRD

If you transfer your moderator to (private sale or rfd) you then free up that slot to then fill it with a newly acquired moderator for the same calibre specified on your license.
Both sale and purchase have to be informed to your FRD

Totally incorrect once you have taken up a slot on your fac for either rifle or moderator you have to apply for a new one no matter the calibre

This is where it all falls down. I can buy a .22 proofed SAK mod without a firearms certificate for use on my air rifle. I don't have to lock it up. I can sell it on here and post it to the new buyer. Could I not buy a fullbore mod with the correct thread and screw it on to my air rifle? It would never need to be entered on a FAC.

When I applied for my FAC I already had an air rifle and a Parker Hale proofed .22 mod for it. When I got my FAC I was granted slots for a .22 rimfire and a .22 moderator. I bought a SAK mod. It is listed on my FAC as unknown maker and no serial number.

Where IN LAW am I committing an offence if I use the Parker Hale mod on my rimfire and the SAK on my air rifle? Neither have a serial number. I am using the serially numbered rifle with an unknown moderator. Perfectly within the confines of my FAC.

My local RFD stores moderators in unlocked draws. Unless they are attached to a weapon to which a FAC is required they have no legal status. I could go out tomorrow and buy dozens of them.

Dalua, i think "for use" seem to be the key words in the previous post, that gives the impression that if you have no intention of using the mod you dont need a licence to possess it

Ian.

This is exactly what dalua unhelpfully poses, you cannot in essence acquire a black market mod and hold it as a bit of trench art or whatever and say you have no intention to use it and avoid the requirement of a certificate. anything designed as an accessory to a section 1 firearm to diminish the noise or flash is caught by the legislation.

i concede that a sound mod in the process of manufacture is not a sound mod until its manufacturing process has ended. That does not include any notion that if the plastic bush isnt cut for your rifle that somehow that gets around legislation. Equally nor does a sound moderator thats designed to come apart for cleaning not be a moderator when its parts are squirrelled away in different places.

a final note: Regardless of a sound mods inability to be used there and then..... Wait for it......Its still a sound moderator de facto and de jure.

i have a car, no petrol or a wheel removed doesnt mean its not a car.

This is exactly what dalua unhelpfully poses, you cannot in essence acquire a black market mod and hold it as a bit of trench art or whatever and say you have no intention to use it and avoid the requirement of a certificate. anything designed as an accessory to a section 1 firearm to diminish the noise or flash is caught by the legislation.

i concede that a sound mod in the process of manufacture is not a sound mod until its manufacturing process has ended. That does not include any notion that if the plastic bush isnt cut for your rifle that somehow that gets around legislation. Equally nor does a sound moderator thats designed to come apart for cleaning not be a moderator when its parts are squirrelled away in different places.

a final note: Regardless of a sound mods inability to be used there and then..... Wait for it......Its still a sound moderator de facto and de jure.

i have a car, no petrol or a wheel removed doesnt mean its not a car.

So if i fit a t8 moderator to my sub 12 ft lb air rifle am i breaking the law if i do not have an FAC
Geordie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back