Rifle mot

you can damage barrel crowns with bad cleaning practices ,but all crowns get gas errosion and fish mouth ,if you use deltonic pins you can gauge how bad it is
the gases accelarate faster than the bullet as it breaks free from barrel ,this gives you gas errosion around the edge and the crown will wash out
this is why nearly all barrels seem to be shot out or loose the accuracy edge from new and once you shorten a inch and recrown the accuracy will come back
i have done this on hunderds of barrels

Well I have yet to see this in fact the muzzle looked good on the 25-06 Parker-hale that I acquired the other year shame one could not say the same about the throat and first 10" of the bore which are quite badly heat crazed. Steve Kershaw bore scoped it for me. In fact the muzzle is quite tight on that rifle as I recall. The crazing was not visible to the naked eye due to be filled with powder and jacket fouling. It took a good cleaning for it to show.

What sort of cost have people had for a new s/s barrel and blueprinting of the action and bolt
Also who would you use for it ?

What sort of cost have people had for a new s/s barrel and blueprinting of the action and bolt
Also who would you use for it ?

For the cost of a new barrel from the majority of the "smiths" in the UK you can buy a new rifle. I believe most are quoting about £800 to supply and fit a new barrel but of course feel free to pphone or e-mail a few for quotes. Just be sitting down when you do.

I know when I enquired a couple of years ago that was the ball park figure that was being bandied about. One well known "smith" quoted me £800 just the fit and re-chamber a new BSA barrel onto a BSA Monarch receiver :eek: and that was me supplying the new barrel. The re-chamber was from 7x64 to 280 AI.

Back