roe doe with start of antler growth

6.5rem700

had to distpatch a roe doe [road hit] the other day
and she had the start of 1 antler ,has anyone come across this before ??
i did some reading and it can happen in older barren does
so i went back to were i left her [a week later] and opened her up to have a look
everything seemed in good order, but condition had gone down hill ,to be expected ,
she was pregnant with 2
took some picks with my phone ,not the best picks sorry
antler growth was about 1in high and 1in in dia and covered in fur [not the velvet/ smooth antler type]
the bullet in the picks is a 22.250 for scale

Attachments

• pick 1.jpg
    pick 1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 71
  • pick2.jpg
    pick2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 75
Shot a doe a couple of years ago she had about 1 1/2" growth on both sides and no anal tush
Wingy

Yes, not uncommon, maybe one in 100 in my experience. It's due to a hormonal imbalance so that is more likely in old animals but, like you the 3 I have culled were both pregnant and neither were terribly old.

Here's one I shot a couple of years ago:

AntleredDoe-JawandSkull.jpg

If you kept the head of yours it would be worth boiling it, and the jaw, out.

willie_gunn

I have a young doe with about an 1inch on each. Didn't know what was best to do with her leave or take her off. Any thoughts?

Well, all of mine have been healthy but I'd be inclined to take her out in the Winter in case a (less rigorous..) neighbour mistakes her for a buck and shoots her when she has dependant young.

I have a young doe with about an 1inch on each. Didn't know what was best to do with her leave or take her off. Any thoughts?

Back