Lense Covers

Finnish

I have a 8x56 Swarovski scope and at the moment I have the lens covers you have to take off and put some where safe. Does Swarovski make the flip up ones that stay on the scope or do you just buy any one's that fit the scope.

I have found with Butler Creek covers on my eyepiece they can catch when open and snap off at the narrow part on the cover. I have lost 3 @ £9.50 like that. I am going to switch to an alternative manufacturer with a harder plastic cover. The Butler creek covers on the objective work great.

I would not use clear plastic covers on your objective as they can catch the sunlight when you are walking with your gun on your shoulder and keep giving off flashes. I noticed my mate over a mile away so the deer should spot it!

I wrote to Buler creek in the USA enclosing the broken cover but they did not bother to reply?

Dr Spin is right,
Butler Creek has downgraded their plastic it seems.
I used to buy a set and sell it with the scope years later, now I've broken three front covers and 2-3 back covers in a year. Brought back a load from my visit in the states last christmas which are used up now.
The clear plastic ones are just as useless.

edi

I bought a S&B 8x56 last summer and have so far broken two butler creek front covers and one rear cover, they seem to be very easily broken.

I've had Butler Creek's on my Zeiss for about 8 years with no problem and so have just spent 20 quid putting them on my new IOR. I looked around but there aren't really any other options. Guess I'll have to keep my eye on them to see if they disintegrate....very disturbing :eek:

willie_gunn

Finnish
If you still want the Butler Creeks the sizes are:-
18 eye 1.7" (43.2mm)
47 obj 2.46" (62.5mm)
These were ok on a Swarovski 8x56 L Kurz

Paul

The "free covers" you tend to get with new scopes are actually Butler Creek Bikinis.

Reason behind them is that a lot of US States have a restricted number of deer tags available and most hunters have a very limited opportunity to be permitted to shoot a deer. Tends to take place in the bitter winter months. Flip ups would freeze so they came up with the Bikini. Both ends are held on by the connecting band so a tight fit isn't important.

A sudden snap shot can still be taken but fundamentally it's a throw away for the one opportunity you get on a deer that season. Basically plan B for when plan A has a problem.

Stan

Back