300 win. Mag

The Winchester is a fine cartridge of .30 calibre. Due to the larger volume of powder burnt and the higher velocity the recoil is more than say the 30-06. The neck is a bit short for my liking but truth be told it never gave me problems. The rifle i owned and used in this chambering was a Ruger No1B that I traded to a dealer the enable me to acquire four collectable rifles. I also traded a vintage Model 1922 Mauser made for the Pan American games and acquired Thre DWM Model 1893 Mausers and my Medwell & Perritt sporting rifle.

If it were not for them I would probably still have the Ruger. Of course powder costs were a lot less then than they are now.

The Winchester is a fine cartridge of .30 calibre. Due to the larger volume of powder burnt and the higher velocity the recoil is more than say the 30-06. The neck is a bit short for my liking but truth be told it never gave me problems. The rifle i owned and used in this chambering was a Ruger No1B that I traded to a dealer the enable me to acquire four collectable rifles. I also traded a vintage Model 1922 Mauser made for the Pan American games and acquired Thre DWM Model 1893 Mausers and my Medwell & Perritt sporting rifle.

If it were not for them I would probably still have the Ruger. Of course powder costs were a lot less then than they are now.

I have been trying to find some one that has one locally to me so I can have a go and see if i like it (recoil wise)

If you re-load, and have access to a chronograph, it is a cartridge that gives the flexibility of loading from 308 Winchester levels up to 300 Holland and Holland levels. However this comes at a price:

1) Some say that in a shortish length action some heavier bullets cannot be seated properly. That is they don't have a parallel section in the right place to be gripped by the very short case neck of the 300 Winchester. In fact for 220 grain bullets a 30-06 has probably similar usuable case capacity in the same length action.

2) It is a belted case that give two issues:

a) ONE LESS cartridge in the magazine. I like four or preferably five up. As that way I am not worrying about dropping cartridges out of my pockets

b)The belt can in poorly constructed rifles give feeding reliability issues. I'd always say try any secondhand rifle with dummy bulleted cartridges for this
before purchasing.

3) Factory ammunition is expensive and usually FULL POWER.

4) You can't carry five spare rounds in a surplus UK 7.62mm NATO or USA 30-06 or German 7.92mm Mauser stripper clip in you pocket. The "poor man's
cartridge pouch"!

5) Some reloaders say that there is a special knack to loading so that the cartridges headspaces on the shoulder instead of the actually irrelevant belt.

where abouts are you mate might help ,if you are close to yorkshire your welcome to have a crack on mine, i have an old sako l61 the action is wonderfull and i have had lots of comments how nice the rifle is i am glad it was traded to me as it wont be leaving my grip, atb wayne

where abouts are you mate might help ,if you are close to yorkshire your welcome to have a crack on mine, i have an old sako l61 the action is wonderfull and i have had lots of comments how nice the rifle is i am glad it was traded to me as it wont be leaving my grip, atb wayne

Yes I will be hand loading for it, I was thinking of buying a sauer 202 300 win mag. Thanks for the offer mereside but I live in Braintree in essex so it will be another far for me but a very kind offer all the same

I have just put in a variation for one having consider the full compliment of .30 and .338 cartridges (like the )6 but the French thing was a pain)

I considered a RUM and the only benefit I can see if the lack of belt
Fireformed brass should headspace off the shoulder anyway

I have a .270 and this appears on paper to be the .30 ballistic twin!

130gr .270 is +1"@100yds, 0"@200yds and -6.5"@300yds 3000fps MV

180gr .300WM is +1.1"@100yds, 0"@200 and -6.4"@300yds 3000fps MV

if you are worrying about recoil then I suspect .30 magnums are not the best option.

only two words to worry about with recoil....eye...relief!

I have just put in a variation for one having consider the full compliment of .30 and .338 cartridges (like the )6 but the French thing was a pain)

I considered a RUM and the only benefit I can see if the lack of belt
Fireformed brass should headspace off the shoulder anyway

I have a .270 and this appears on paper to be the .30 ballistic twin!

130gr .270 is +1"@100yds, 0"@200yds and -6.5"@300yds 3000fps MV

180gr .300WM is +1.1"@100yds, 0"@200 and -6.4"@300yds 3000fps MV

if you are worrying about recoil then I suspect .30 magnums are not the best option.

only two words to worry about with recoil....eye...relief!

Some people say they kick like a mule yet I have seen young kids and women on you tube shoot them so what is the reality

I dont get this surely a gun that smacks you in the eye has an ill fitting stock/ scope more than recoil issue i use a .300 rum regulary, and in the past shot .300 wetherby mags and .375 hollands never had one come near to smacking me in the eye

I shoot mine with a Jet Z compact on the end and don't even notice the recoil.

But it is a Match barrelled Blaser LRS2 which is pretty heavy.. but there are others I know who shoot standard barrels in the Off-Road Pro stocks without problems.

atb
Fizz

I like mine, win mod 70 stainless syn. You need a 26 inch barrel to get the best from it.
I shoot 180 to 220 grains through it.
Recoil? Its still not a large gun. If recoil is an issue with one of these, I'd suggest its the setup.

When reloading all my belted magnums (except the Capstick & Lott) I headspace off the shoulder not the belt. Unless youve cut your chambers with the same reamer use a different set of dies for each rifle you have in that caliber to save setting them up each time. If you headspace off the belt you can get away with one set per caliber.

Cheers Sharkey

I dont get this surely a gun that smacks you in the eye has an ill fitting stock/ scope more than recoil issue i use a .300 rum regulary, and in the past shot .300 wetherby mags and .375 hollands never had one come near to smacking me in the eye

because you had proper eye relief and knew how to hold it.
"Weatherby eyebrow" is nothing more than poor hold and poor scope position IMO

I shoot mine with a Jet Z compact on the end and don't even notice the recoil.

But it is a Match barrelled Blaser LRS2 which is pretty heavy.. but there are others I know who shoot standard barrels in the Off-Road Pro stocks without problems.

atb
Fizz
Where abouts in Hertfordshire are you

Some people say they kick like a mule yet I have seen young kids and women on you tube shoot them so what is the reality

Felt recoil is down to rifle fit, rifle weight and already held ideas. Then followed by technique.

The 300 Win Mag by the laws of physics will give slightly more recoil than say a .308 due to pushing the bullet faster and by using more powder. Same goes for the .270 Winchester over say the 260 rem or 6.5x55.

There are many who claim the 270 Winchester is vicious on recoil. OK is a light weight rifle the recoil is quick/sharp but is not vicious.

One has to ask why you feel that the .300 Win Mag is the best cartridge for you?

Although as I said earlier it's a fine cartridge it's probably not the best one for use in the UK. Due to the powder volume used it tends to be loud. A 22" barrel is about the shortest one really needs in this chambering and 24" or 26" is better still so bearing in mind the strive we see on here regularly for short barrels tis not ideal. Factory ammunition is expensive. Then we come down to the Police licensing officers ...................................... in my experience they do not like the word "Magnum". You mind find they do not like your idea at all.

Just pointing out some drawbacks

I have a 300 Weatherby Mag and would confirm a scope with generous eye relief allied to correct positioning relative to your 'hold' is to be recommended. It should also be remembered that for most people what seems right at the bench will change significantly when shooting prone unless you have an adjustable butt as the classic hill shot moves shoulders and head forward in accordance with the laws of mechanics.

If you're going to load it down then don't bother as you may as well get something that is more efficient and comfortable to shoot from the outset.

Cheers

K

Hi,
I am also on the Weatherby team, 0.300.
I Can only recommand this kind of caliber either weatherby or Win.
Very flexible for reloading. Flat shooting, long distance.
But yes, i have to admit that i had a couple og weatherby love bites through the yers.
TDH

The one I shot was a dream to fire. Lovely feel and the recoil was not an issue at all.

The muzzle deflector on it made pretty images out of the air in front of you as well. which was nice .

The muzzle deflector on it made pretty images out of the air in front of you as well. which was nice .

Unless you happen to be on the bench next to you!

I've been three benches down at the BSRC range and watched my cross hair jump a good few inches off aim when a 270 with muzzle break went off. Well that's the excuse I'm sticking to for dropping into the 9 ring on my last shot!

K

Unless you happen to be on the bench next to you!

I've been three benches down at the BSRC range and watched my cross hair jump a good few inches off aim when a 270 with muzzle break went off. Well that's the excuse I'm sticking to for dropping into the 9 ring on my last shot!

K

:lol: I believe you bud,, millions wouldn`t , :rofl:

Back