Whats this called?

The Croc

As above, found on the side of the motor, while getting 20 plus ticks off the dog last weekend after coming out of a wood, after Squirrels and Pigeon.

3734428225_c65c55c466_m.jpg

Brian

Is it a trick question? From the title of the photo its apparently called Brian ;)

Seriously, looks like a grasshopper to me (short antenna, light brown) but presume there's something about it that makes you ask the question? What size was it, any distinguishing features, what colouration?

willie_gunn

It might be a cricket, apparently they are spreading north through England at a fair rate with global warming.

Willie
It was light tan/beige in colour and about 2" plus long, doesn't look like any of the Grasshoppers I've seen.

"From the title of the photo its apparently called Brian" :lol:

Brian

"From the title of the photo its apparently called Brian"

Sorry, I couldn't resist :oops: ;)

What length were the antennae? In the photo they look short which made me think it was a grasshopper rather than a cricket. I wondered if it might be a locust, seeing as how they are also spreading north, but would need to see the abdomen to have a better idea.

I guess it could be someone's escaped exotic pet!

willie_gunn

Brian

Difficult to say - we're beyond the limits of my insect knowledge - but at that size I'd think it must be someone's escaped exotic.

willie_gunn

Well if it was a TICK that size , you should be worried , :eek: Cricket !GRASSHOPPERS HAVE LONGER ANTENAE. They are also carniverous and will eat your dog in a nanno second!.!! . If your dog comes running back like a skeleton, ! Trust me it,s a grasshopper that ate him!.(or a cricket ) :lol:
Trapper ;)

i think its a cricket rather than a grass hooper its deffinatly not a locust as willie has asked but what kind of cricket it is is anyones guess i expect if you look into it there will be hundreds of different species of cricket and grasshooper in britain.

It is a bush cricket, getting quite common down here in the south. They match their surroundings for colour, so have seen them brown and green in colour. I saw Bill Oddie handling one on one of his programs a while ago and it bit him, so quite useful animals!

Brian

Interesting replies! Digging around the internet on this, I found:

http://www.lakelandwildlife.co.uk/grasshoppers.htm

and

http://insects.about.com/od/identifyaninsect/a/grassorcricket.htm

I also found this Malawian recipe for crickets :eek: :

To cook bwamnoni (large green bush crickets) you have to remove wings and horned part of legs. After that, boil them in water for five minutes, then dry in sun. Fry with a little salt and a little fat if desired. This dish is served as a relish.

Although given their very useful service in biting Bill Oddie I'd prefer to encourage them rather than eat them ;)

willie_gunn

what is it

I'm very disturbed at the information stating it is a bush cricket!, I hope it's not going to be in or around any of the "bushes" I like to get down in! :lol:

At least I know what it is.

Willie
Thanks, I'll have a look at those later.
As you say some interesting replies.

Thank you Gents

Back