Hi Folks,

Could someone please explain the advantage of a 30mm tube over a 25mm. Is there a notable difference to the user?

I am aware that a larger objective diameter captures more light - does a larger tube transmit that extra light to the eye.

When a scope is termed wide angled, what gives it that wider vision?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Tube diameter is more about scope strength and adjustment (as in windage and elevation) than it is about light transmission. See Zeiss's very good explanation here:

This is why a lot of the tactical scopes come in 34mm tube diameter and larger - you get more adjustment capability.

Can't comment on the wide-angle question, other than that field of view and magnification work inversely - i.e. the larger the magnification the smaller the field of view and vice versa.

30mm allows for more adjustment and for possibly stronger and chunkier adjustment mechanics. As mentioned 30mm is stronger stiffer than 25-26mm with the same wall section. I don't think it has any effects on the optical quality.
    30mm scopes are mostly heavier. A few of us are slowly going back to 1" tubed scopes. Even schmidt and bender came out with a new light weight 1" scope "Summit" this year.