Thread: Roe buck rta

Roe buck rta

Have just witnessed possibly the worst display of humane dispatch of a roe buck that had been involved in a collision. The buck had obviously suffered serious damage as it was unable to stand people were kneeling on it because "it's trying to run away" car headlights torches the animal looked/was terrified. Although I stalk roe in the area I have a lot of respect for them. The police arrived and I offered some advice and was told "we are dealing with it " the vet arrived injected several pain killers looked at it for at least Twenty minutes then decided to put he buck to sleep. All of this took over an hour. In my eyes not at all acceptable! Rant over.

I'd guess most likely vet was sedating the beast, that can take a while to work especially in a stressed animal. If the vet didn't have a gun and only unskilled help it can be a nightmare getting a vein to put these animals to sleep.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I know what you mean, a couple of years ago I was third on the scene of an RTA, doe with a smashed back and leg pinned to the fence of a kids play area.
    Lady driver wanted to call the vet, fella the RSPCA.
    A small village in Dorset, no vet for miles and which driver would pay!, last RSPCA call out took 1 1/2 hours!
    I managed to talk them into letting me sort it out but they were all for waiting for the RSPCA!

The poor thing shouldn't have been put through all of that though. I knew there was no going back for it so why sedate it it should have been dispatched immediately following the vets inspection. Which to be honest was a waste of time as the back end of the buck was clearly broken due to its orientation. But hey I'm no vet......

If the cops say they will deal with it then let them its not nice watching any thing die but that beter than the alternative (Doing Nothing)

Our local police(sussex)/council have with the help of the D.I ,deer groups & local stalkers started a deer warden scheme,were by a warden will get called out to humanely dispatch a wounded animal to prevent this sort of problem.We have one of the worst roads in the country(A22) for deer related rta's.The scheme seems to work well with minimal delays in dealing with a fairly distressing situation. there are no fees or expences,this is i think a case of giving something back.

Yet another reason why I will be adding Humanian to my repetuar(sp), when I get over there, next year. I hate to see, or hear of, an animal in any pain. As I will be retired, I will be available, at any hour, to dispatch an injured animal as painless and quickly as possible. There is just no excuse for waiting and letting the animal suffer; they feel pain, just like us.