DSC1 Teachers how much experience

crouch valley

After reading many funny comments and micky taking about the DSC qualification. I was wondering how much experience would you expect the person teaching the course to have. Practical as well as class room based .And would you ask this when booking a course. And who monitor's this.

Are they teachers or instructors?I am not a teacher, but I am an instructor in some things, for my training to become an instructor, I follow a system, I do not do more than is in the book, not more than is expected. It's a system that we (The Armed Forces) have used for years, it ensures everyone who is an instructor in the subject can come in and take over. So Joe Bloggs takes the lesson to Lesson Number 3, Sam Smith can come in and take over the lesson knowing that where he will start lesson 4 from is where Joe Bloggs left lesson 3, there will be no difference in methods of instruction as we are all trained to do it in a certain way. From experience, you do not need to know a subject to instruct it, but you need to know the subject to teach it....That's my opinion anyway....

You are quite right tartinjock I should have used the word instructor and not teacher. But in your write up you say for my training to become a instructor. So dose this mean you should be trained to become a DSC instructor or is there a minimum standard to become this.

My course was run by David Stretton of Donington Deer Management. There may be lots of people around who know as much as him, but I doubt there are many who know more.

My course was run by David Stretton of Donington Deer Management. There may be lots of people around who know as much as him, but I doubt there are many who know more.

Neil you are very true there. I bealeave he wrote a lot of the original question bank. His equipment and DVDs are very good.

But in your write up you say for my training to become a instructor. So dose this mean you should be trained to become a DSC instructor or is there a minimum standard to become this.
As I don't know what the DSC Instrustors have done in a previous life, I can't answer that, but I'm sure they will have had to do lesson plans, give lessons to the interview panel,and those Instructors will, on an annual basis be validated by an outside agency to ensure that there "Methods of Instruction" are competent. TJ

Education in any field is absorbing and imparting knowledge. Many can absorb but to impart is a true gift. There are many who say they have been out with so and so and learned so much. That is why tutor recommendation is so important. The tutor may not be the best qualified but what he has, he has the ability to pass on. I have sat in on lectures where the teacher has been dull as dishwater and left wondering what hey were talking about. Jim

Tartanjock, I agree with everything you say with reference to the Instructors and also in an ideal world it would be good if they did take a page out of the military system. However as both you and I know this does not happen all the time. On my DSC 1 course it was fairly plain to see that on a few of the lessons it was very obvious that the instructors had not prepared the said lesson and also that he had not even taken the time the evening before to go through the viewpoint presentation so that he could at least try to look a bit prepared, Indeed he stated after 20 minutes on one of them once he had went to pot that the lesson was usually given buy ****** ****** and that he was standing in.

So my point is that knowledge of the subject both thoery and practical is great and of course desirable, but prior preperation is paramount.

I am about to go on a course as an introduction to obtaining my AAPGAI qualification to teach flycasting for salmon and trout. I had a call from one of the course leaders who put it to me quite well. He said that you could be the best caster in the world but that does not mean you will be any good at teaching it...

I think that is a fair comment.

As I don't know what the DSC Instrustors have done in a previous life, I can't answer that, but I'm sure they will have had to do lesson plans, give lessons to the interview panel,and those Instructors will, on an annual basis be validated by an outside agency to ensure that there "Methods of Instruction" are competent. TJ
You would like to think so wouldent you?

All these threads suggest to me there is a real need to do something different here. I am thinking that a mentoring course/club kind of thing.

Where you could get hands on experience looking at things like a gralock from a deer.

You could go into depth. With things like stalking practical(just practice mind wearing hi vis to see how close you can get to a deer) this could be done on public land. So no one would stand to lose thier ground to people they are trying to help.

picking up tracks and traking deer. Could also be coverd again on public land

Practical rifle training from a quilified instructor. I thinking NRA club/coach level. Cumulative in a test where all the shoots are taken at 100 meters. with a proper RCO in attendance.
Modules on each of the 6 speices of deer in the uk or make it regional if you like so it is relivent to your area.

Yes you could end up doing the DSC L1 exams. If you so wished. Altho I think you might have problems getting DMQ to recognise this kind of thing. As they will want their profit from it. And so might push the price of this up to much.

Now as for the quality of the instructors who take the classroom elements of this.
Well I know a few AW's that will state they do what they do for free( a contribution to petrol) The ones I know personally are very good at what they do. They are also keen to pass on their not inconsiderable knowlage. They also mean what they say when they just want to give something back.

You could do most of the classroom stuff at a scout hut or alike. On a Sunday for example. The rfile elements could be done at a gun club with a range. There must be loads of us who belong to gun clubs that could get this sorted. Even if the course candidates join on a probation basis.

I for one would be very happy to give my time for free. There is a scout group up the road that will rent you the hut for £11 an hour. Less if you make a regular booking. If there were 10 people that wanted to do it. that would cost £1.10 per person per use.

If people are indeed interested in improving the standards of sport and you have loads of experience. why not join in.

The joke that has become the DSC L1 cash cow. Needs to be addressed.

Is this a way of getting some credibility back.

I am about to go on a course as an introduction to obtaining my AAPGAI qualification to teach flycasting for salmon and trout. I had a call from one of the course leaders who put it to me quite well. He said that you could be the best caster in the world but that does not mean you will be any good at teaching it...

I think that is a fair comment.

Neither does it mean that fish will be caught.:coat:

Had a test on the public highways back in 1985/6, class one trucks.. guy in the passenger seat had a car licence, his teaching/instructing/testing, was all done on Crown Authority.

The vehicle inspectorate does not hire mechanics preferring butchers and bakers. You tell them what is right or wrong and they do not speculate. The mechanic thinks about what he would do to repair it.

The joke that has become the DSC L1 cash cow. Needs to be addressed.

Is this a way of getting some credibility back.

So many people on here have got such an issue with lvl1 that I don't understand. I did mine with Trevor Banham and I thought it was an excellent course, if you have any idea what training costs in the real world then you would understand it is actually very good value.

Level 1 is supposed to be an introduction to deer stalking using industry recognised best practice, level 2 is an assesment of those skills. Give it a few years and everyone who has got such an issue and refuses to do it will just be overtaken because they refuse to adapt.

DSC is here to stay it seems so just get on with it. With regards to the OP there is good trainers and bad trainers in everything and remember the the old saying "those who can't, teach!" :D

Neither does it mean that fish will be caught.:coat:

You make a very good point becasue sometimes it appears to some that the day is more about seeing how far they can cast instead of trying to catch a fish...

However, how about when all these training courses started up? I mean, who decided that those that started teaching were the best for the job? Who assessed the potential assessors and said you are good enough to teach? And then I suppose you could ask who looked at the assessors of the potential assessors....

You make a very good point becasue sometimes it appears to some that the day is more about seeing how far they can cast instead of trying to catch a fish...

However, how about when all these training courses started up? I mean, who decided that those that started teaching were the best for the job? Who assessed the potential assessors and said you are good enough to teach? And then I suppose you could ask who looked at the assessors of the potential assessors....

And now we come down to that old adage"Chicken or Egg?" Which really did come first?:D

Back