Game Meat Laws

greenhillstairs

:) Thought it was a Goverment Scam when it was introduced, Doe's anyone else think that all the Red tape and bureaucracy surrounding "Game Meat Laws" in the Uk, is to pardon the pun "A bit Rich". Too Quote; After 1 January 2006, ALL game supplied to ANY game dealer (as opposed to a retail butcher or the final consumer) must have been inspected by a "trained hunter". A numbered declaration must be attached to each deer carcass to this effect!!.

All this B*llox, in lieu of the latest finding 100% Horse meat in a Findus "Ping Ping" Beef lasagne!!! Wot a joke! just another form of Tax with a capital "T"

i think it was a good thing to introduce this, as if you have done the 1 day course it teaches you about the diseases deer can get and how to inspect a carcass
and its organs , lymph nodes ect ,its very informative and worth while doing
also it prevents deer and game getting into the food chain that hasnt been inspected by a certificated person [ie deer that travelers and poachers ACQUIRE :rolleyes:]

also it prevents deer and game getting into the food chain that hasnt been inspected by a certificated person [ie deer that travelers and poachers ACQUIRE :rolleyes:]

I'm sorry to say that if you really think that then you are naive.
I know game dealers that take my tags off and put theirs on!
I know that some local pubs are buying from other sources and putting it on their menu. One stalker who is selling into a local pub told a gamekeeper if he didn't then the poachers would, so he believed it kept the poachers away.
Although the legislation is in place to stop them buying from other sources it still happens and no one checks.
Ask your game dealer the next time you see him if his books are ever checked to make sure he has sellers details, and then ask him if he has ever checked a sellers details are correct. Who do you check with?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say that if you really think that then you are naive.
I know game dealers that take my tags off and put theirs on!
I know that some local pubs are buying and putting it on their menu.
Although the legislation is in place to stop them buying from other sources it still happens and no one checks.
Ask your game dealer the next time you see him if his books are ever checked to make sure he has sellers details, and then ask him if he has ever checked a sellers details are correct. Who do you check with?
no i am not naive, ime quite aware this still goes on

but its seven years ago,
Ha!! One Line Bob!! Its not seven years since they announced Horse meat in food supplied via "Blue Chip" companys producing and supplying to the masses, the self same companys(Findus, Tesco's etc)of whom are supposedly operating to the most stringent Food regulations in Europe!! My point being if they aint bothering to monitor those, why regulate Fred in a shed !! They care jack **** about the publics well being, its all about extra revenue.

just another form of Tax with a capital "T"

Definition of Tax: A compulsory contribution to state revenue, levied by the government on workers' income and business profits, or added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions.

Call me a pedant but how, exactly, are the Game Meat Laws a tax? What are you paying the government in relation to them, and why?

You may well think the Game Meat Laws are bureaucratic, wasteful and needless but what they are not is a Tax, whether with a capital "T" or otherwise.;)

willie_gunn

In reality the latest food scare is actually proof that our regulations on food traceability are working. Note the use of the words "food traceability", not "food content" or "food quality".

Regulations around food traceability came into effect because of issues such as dioxyns in food and foot & mouth, etc - does anyone remember salmonella in chocolate and Sudan 1 food dye? What traceability regulations are designed to do is to be able to identify where components/raw materials have come from, what products they have been used in, and where those finished products have gone.

Although we'd like perfect transparency right across the food supply chain the reality of the situation is that most parties in that chain only have "one up, one down" visibility, i.e they can see their supplier but not their suppliers' supplier, and they can see their customer but not their customers' customer.

In the current food scare as soon as a quality issue was identified in the finished product (horse/pig DNA in beef products) the process was started to identify how this contaminated food had got into the supply chain. It was established that it was the "beef filler" and the component suppliers were identified. Once their identities were established the reverse supply chain was investigated - i.e. who had been supplied with these filler products and what finished goods were affected. Traceability let us identify all the retailers/products affected and they were (mostly) pullled from the shelf.

Without the traceability regulations we'd have no idea who supplied the contaminated components or which other products those components had been used in. We would have seen every beef product pulled from the shelf on the precautionary principle (pull them off the shelf because, although we don't know for sure, these products might have been contaminated).

The Game Meat Laws fulfil a similar function - at least in theory. If a restaurant was to test their venison and find that it was contaminated they could, via their wholesaler/supplier and other members of the supply chain, go right back to source and establish the stalker who had shot it. I say "in theory" because this is another law that is probably observed more in the theory than the practice. At least until some consumer pops their clogs because of contaminated venison.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but are You not required to register as a Food Business? and unless you are giving the stuff away to Charity for nowt, then the goverment expects a cut.This before you factor in the add on's. I've not a problem with it,if it were policed and enforced. My guess it reduces supply, that creates demand and were there is demand someone will fill it and not always legal more especially if its "Soft" legislation!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but are You not required to register as a Food Business? and unless you are giving the stuff away to Charity for nowt, then the goverment expects a cut.This before you factor in the add on's. I've not a problem with it,if it were policed and enforced. My guess it reduces supply, that creates demand and were there is demand someone will fill it and not always legal more especially if its "Soft" legislation!

You are only required to register as a food business if you're actually operating as such. If you follow the link that JCS posted and open the Wild Game Guide, then you'll see on page 18 that it doesn't affect most recreational stalkers. Even if you do need to register as a food business, there are no costs to do so.

So the government don't take a cut......unless of couse you're counting the duty on the fuel you use when you go stalking, the VAT on most of your stalking purchases, etc.;)

willie_gunn

You are only required to register as a food business if you're actually operating as such. If you follow the link that JCS posted and open the Wild Game Guide, then you'll see on page 18 that it doesn't affect most recreational stalkers. Even if you do need to register as a food business, there are no costs to do so.

So the government don't take a cut......unless of couse you're counting the duty on the fuel you use when you go stalking, the VAT on most of your stalking purchases, etc.;)

willie_gunn

If we are still doing Definations Willie, then the defination of a Business is An Organization or economic system where goods and services are exchanged for Money !! Surely you cant be so naive as to belive yes I can register a business Free and yes i can sell any goods without paying any tax!! The very basic rule of HM revenue & custom's is "If it counts as income, it's taxable";)

My guess is that if you registered yourself as a business with Inland revenue then you'd probably get a rebate. If your only selling small quantities of venison then the amount that you spend on fuel, car tax, insurance , bullets, powder, reloading gear, rifles binoculars, clothes high seats and ground rent would be far in excess of what you would make from venison.

Stalking in the new forest with a lot of ponies about I wonder if findus are interested in some venison.

If we are still doing Definations Willie, then the defination of a Business is An Organization or economic system where goods and services are exchanged for Money !! Surely you cant be so naive as to belive yes I can register a business Free and yes i can sell any goods without paying any tax!! The very basic rule of HM revenue & custom's is "If it counts as income, it's taxable";)

Agreed, but that's got little to do with the Game Meat Laws. They are about food hygiene and traceability, not taxation.

If you're then running a business providing venison then that's a separate matter and, like any producer/manufacturer, of course you need to do that in accordance with HMRC's rules and regulations.

willie_gunn

Back