Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imposter?

Hello folks,
    I'm probably a bit of an imposter because 1. I haven't got an FAC. 2. I'm not sure if shooting deer could become a hobby of mine. So, what am I doing here? Basically, I'm looking for guidance on such matters as applying for an FAC, calibre of rifle I should get, where I should look for one, what should I expect to pay....beginner's stuff like that. I own about 40 nice acres in Central Scotland where I live. There's about 8 acres of ancient woodland, small salmon stream, and stacks of roes and rabbits. I'd call it an Eden except that I would fit the role of Serpent too well. The roes can be a problem in one or two ways, and the rabbits are a bl00dy menace. I've joined Pigeon Watch too and I've already been showered with generous and helpful info. on their forums. When I was young- i.e. not recently- I shot with air rifle and later 12 bore, rough shooting rabbits, pigeons, ducks, but now, faced with my own mortality, I've maybe become a bit soft. But I fancy a BRNO .222 and a wee rimfire for the bunnies. So, I'm likely to be more of a taker than a giver on here. I hope I'm still welcome.

Of course all are welcome! Depending on your outlook on eating your own etc and not looking at the signs, I would suggest getting n a DSC1 course for a complete overview of stalking and all it entails then think of applying later. Maybe getting into to it like many of us seems a world away but get some info, get an FAC then start taking a roe or two and stocking your freezer and enjoy taking something off the land. Good luck with your new hobby. Although I will say, once you get the bug it becomes more of a lifelong one! Enjoy the ride to getting there and taking your first deer, I know I did.

Welcome to SD............

Welcome to the better forum

Glad you upgraded to SD, welcome !

Sure you will have no problem finding answers here.
    Hope you enjoy the forum.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Thanks, folks, for your kind (and knowing ) welcomes. Yeah, I'm a two-timer as well as an imposter

It's the thin end of a wedge you know! I joined SD for similar reasons, with no fac, and now, 2 years later, I have.22lr & .243 with open ticket for foxes, deer and goats! And I only dropped into this site with passing intetest...! The enthusiasm on here is infectious!