Semi auto and solid slug

6.5/284matt

Can you shoot slugs through a ordinary barrel with cylinder choke or does it have to be a special barrel?

cheers. Matt.

Yes you can shoot slug through an ordinary barrel.

Poor answer (what's a ordinary barrel ) full choke , three quarter choke ,half choke , quarter choke, improved cylinder ,there all ordinary barrels ,but I wouldn't put a sold slug through three chokes .

Acurracy with information like this could just save someone's life .

Poor answer (what's a ordinary barrel ) full choke , three quarter choke ,half choke , quarter choke, improved cylinder ,there all ordinary barrels ,but I wouldn't put a sold slug through three chokes .

Acurracy with information like this could just save someone's life .

Look above it's been discussed recently. Brenneke slugs are designed to pass through any choke.

Look above it's been discussed recently. Brenneke slugs are designed to pass through any choke.

There was no mention of brenneke slug in the post .

There are a number of slugs on the market the brenneke and sabot slugs( (Plumbata)are made to compress, totally different make up the normal lead slugs where car must be used in which choke there fired through .

Last edited:
I would go for cylinder choke or an improved cylinder choke in a smoothbore shotgun
barrel it's best for slug accuracy. Alternatively get a Slug Barrel.
Better to be safe than sorry !

Last edited:
Read through the link for Brenneke type slugs. Mention is also made in the previous posts about other types of slug e.g. sabot type which is really intended for use in cylinder barrels especially rifled barrels which are something rarely encountered in this country due to restrictive legislation. I used to shoot slug through a cylinder choked multi choke shotgun.

How does that work then? all the factory ammo that i've bought carry a warning against using heavy choke, as far as i understand it (correct me if i'm wrong) the tighter the choke the more the restriction at the muzzle ? so how does a breneke fit through a hole significantly smaller than its diameter?
Surely if you force a solid slug through a restricted muzzle it must increase the risk of causing terminal damage through over pressure? maybe someone could explain the mechanics of firing a solid through a choked barrel as opposed to a true cylinder?

That's the purpose of the fins on Brenneke type slugs to commpress so that they will pass through a full choked gun. Obviously as previously mentioned sabot type slugs should only be fired through barrels that have no restriction. All the information is in the link that CSL supplied.

Read through the link for Brenneke type slugs. Mention is also made in the previous posts about other types of slug e.g. sabot type which is really intended for use in cylinder barrels especially rifled barrels which are something rarely encountered in this country due to restrictive legislation. I used to shoot slug through a cylinder choked multi choke shotgun.

There was no mention of it when I typed the reply I know what the script is with slugs I've been using them for years ,and yes there on my ticket .

Of course you are correct by using cylinder choke whilst using slugs .

Brenneke and (sabot slugs plumbata) which are plastic cased are made to compress through tight chokes where as solid slugs DO NOT compress , where in lies a loss of your sight a hand or death by a barrel blowing if your unlucky .

Last edited:
Doesnt make sense 99% of shotguns come with choked barrels or multi chokes from full through to improved cylinder , cylinder is very rare in shotguns these days .

I was referring to the barrel it's self not specifically the choke/muzzle. I didn't know if you needed a slug barrel that had thicker walls.

Not so sure about saboted slugs through a tight choke WS they are something that I have avoided because they tend to work best through unchoked rifle barrels. I do use the Lee slug in conventional plastic wads so I suppose in a way you could describe them as saboted but I was refering more to the factory sabot slugs.

I was referring to the barrel it's self not specifically the choke/muzzle. I didn't know if you needed a slug barrel that had thicker walls.

You will need to read the details on the box but usually comercial slugs are designed to work in conventional shotguns including semi-autos at normal working preassures.

Not so sure about saboted slugs through a tight choke WS they are something that I have avoided because they tend to work best through unchoked rifle barrels. I do use the Lee slug in conventional plastic wads so I suppose in a way you could describe them as saboted but I was refering more to the factory sabot slugs.

The sabot type I should have put down at plumbata type which are plastic sleeved by a plastic type wad I'll see if I can find a picture of them they are very accurate .

Back