First Deer Dog

As`I was following him he didn't really wander off. I always knew where he was and was curious to see what he would be up to. Turns out just a lot of sniffing. It however changed to education when he suddenly realised he was away from me with what looked like a stranger coming for him

If he was to take off would you have been able to catch or stop him? I speak from experience. I was once loading the landrover up with a doe when I let the Teckel out for a wee, looked for dog, gone, were talking seconds! 11 hours later i found her about 500m away!:-| Emotions went from anger to I'm going to shoot the bloody thing to worry! Not a nice evening!

As a first dog I would get a Lab. I have 3 plus a GWP who is awesome but not a dog for a novice trainer.

We use a lab for deer work but don't use it for anything else I have another lab for that side of things ,I am by no means an expert but if you do use a lab,after the general obedience training get the deer work training done first before using it for other disciplines ie rabbit ,pigeon Ect .i wouldn't want a deer dog going off after birds and rabbits and every other thing living in the woods .
good luck
norma

Last edited:
i noticed you have 3 labs and a gwp wot do you use your gwp for I have one and find him hard headed when training but hunts well point ect just getting him onto a blood trail and will follow it

i noticed you have 3 labs and a gwp wot do you use your gwp for I have one and find him hard headed when training but hunts well point ect just getting him onto a blood trail and will follow it

I use the GWP for everything I use the labs for i.e. picking up, roughshooting, tracking deer, wildfowling. He's not a great peg dog though!

I have a lab and a border terrier. Lab is too bird obsessed but the terrier is great, not yappy like a JRT and has a good nose. Far cleverer than the lab too

Back