Checking Zero...

Sprocker101

How often do you guys check your zero?? Before every stalk? just if you miss? or any other time?
I think i need to do it more often, just for peace of mind more than anything else...!

Have a plink with a rifle every couple of days from rim fire to centre fire. Can't beat keeping your eye in.

These days only when I change scope :)

no point chasing your zero around - if it's done properly in the first place it won't move; more chance of you being the error than your rifle!

Same as bunny here, used to check it all the time when i wasted money on cheap scopes since i got a decent one can't remember when i last touched it

hi i used to check zero from every batch [box] of factory ammo
but am now reloading so from what i hear i wont have to do it until accurracy/or fouling of barrel shows i nead to ?

If you are worried about your zero then you need to check it. It may be spot on, but if you are worrying about it as you take the shot then you wont be concentrating on what really matters. A decent scope, properly secured to a rifle that is handled properly shouldn't give any cause for concern about holding zero. Within those parameters the only time I think you need to check zero is if you have an 'unexplained' miss or you change ammunition. I've never really noticed a significant difference between batches of the same thing but if you change e.g. from 100grn soft points to 95 grn ballistic tips then you'll need to check and possibly adjust your zero.

no, nothing happened.
However, once i had it in my head i just had to check it! It was still bang on, but just wanted to do it as Bandit say for confidence when shooting live quarry, to make sure i was concentrating 100% on a humane shot...

I check;

1) if i undertake a service/ scope change/ stock removal/ deep barrel clean(using solvent) etc

2) 3 bullets from a newly reloaded batch(just incase i have mixed up a recipe)

3) I know i have accidentally knocked the scope or rifle

4) A shot does not hit an animal where i aimed

5) Periodically just for confidence

Am in total agreement with Buckbones,good to keep your eye in,I like to check zero fairly regular anyway,never any difference in poi,I quite often take my 22 out and have a plink with subs

I check;

1) if i undertake a service/ scope change/ stock removal/ deep barrel clean(using solvent) etc

Can't say fairer than that. Thanks JCS

I check;

+ 1, though I dont bother after barrel cleaning as experience with MY rifles has shown that it isn't necessary.

Andy.

I check;

+1

I'm with buckbones here......... Every couple of weeks I take the centre fires down the field just to check and get some practice in.

you simply cant beat trigger time to boost confidence , and when the time comes its second nature.:cool:

I like to check zero before every stalk if I possibly can. For the price of 1 round it gives me 100% confidence to take headshots if needs be.

Back