How much dhould I be paying for dsc 2 stalk

marshall4323

Guys, apologies if this is a frequent question!
How much should I be pay for a dsc 2 witnessed stalk?
Also if any of you guys are available to help please feel free to pm me details! I live and work between Bristol and New Galloway so either of these areas would be ideal!

thanks
Jack

Last time I went was £85 (outing fee) plus something to cover the admin, £35 would not be far off but I think these things are very much a case by case basis

lots of AW won't charge extra, but you will need to cover the outing fee. Some do some don't. It varies quite a bit i think.

Regards

We charge for the stalk, normally a cull to keep costs down, and I charge £30.00 to fill in the paper work whether it be 1 or 3 animals .

I spoke to five AW's before I started the DSC2 assessments. Typically their charge was £40-£50 for the outing including any paperwork, but any venison would become theirs to sell - however you could buy it off them at wholesale prices. Just be aware that some AW's may charge you a trophy fee in addition to those charges - this is where it can add up. I recommend you clearly tell your AW in advance you're not after trophies, just cull animals.

Just be aware that on average candidates require five stalks to complete one ICR. So 15x£50 is.....a lot of money (My calculator blew u working this out ;)
You may be better off booking a Professional Hunter and AW with very good land for a full day - the rate for that would be around £240-£250, if you're lucky you get 4-6 Stalks in on that day and complete two of the required three ICR's.

Quite a few candidates manage to complete three ICR's in one day with the same AW, and good for them. My personal view is that your Portfolio will look stronger if you use two or even three different AW's.

Last edited:
I charge on top of the usual £40 for witnessing and all what follows but only when an animal is grassed.
I have done 15 papers this year alone and have about another 10 dsc2 stalks booked in for this and next month so my price cannot be far out.
Last doe season I wrote about 40 stalks up and 5 during the bucks.
I rarley have any problems with any paperwork issues or clients questioned more then usual.
My fee means you are getting experienced write ups and questions to answer.
Worth it for peace of mind.

Guys, apologies if this is a frequent question!
How much should I be pay for a dsc 2 witnessed stalk?
Also if any of you guys are available to help please feel free to pm me details! I live and work between Bristol and New Galloway so either of these areas would be ideal!

thanks
Jack

Summed up in one word "Nothing" .

no one pays for an AW certificate, no one can guarantee you anything other than a walk.

i read stig's post £85.00 plus £35.00 total £120.00 then the sell the carcass another £40.00 we're now talking bloody good money for what !!

This requires to be standardized to stop the normal working guy being ripped off big time . 90 % of working people are not picking up £160.00 or or close to it per day .

Expenses for fuel etc is all that is required in my opinion .

Summed up in one word "Nothing" .

no one pays for an AW certificate, no one can guarantee you anything other than a walk.

i read stig's post £85.00 plus £35.00 total £120.00 then the sell the carcass another £40.00 we're now talking bloody good money for what !!

This requires to be standardized to stop the normal working guy being ripped off big time . 90 % of working people are not picking up £160.00 or or close to it per day .

Expenses for fuel etc is all that is required in my opinion .

Yes, its just the same with those robbing car mechanics/plumbers/dentists/sparkys/solicitors, after all, they've only had to gain ten years or so experience, buy a van, rent a workshop, get a load of qualifications, buy tools, build a reputation, do a tax return etc etc. Money for nothing really.

Maybe next time I want the services of a professional in some field or other I'll ask if he'll just pop round to my place and do the job for nothing other than a drink for his fuel, who knows, maybe i'll be lucky?

Yes, its just the same with those robbing car mechanics/plumbers/dentists/sparkys/solicitors, after all, they've only had to gain ten years or so experience, buy a van, rent a workshop, get a load of qualifications, buy tools, build a reputation, do a tax return etc etc. Money for nothing really.

Maybe next time I want the services of a professional in some field or other I'll ask if he'll just pop round to my place and do the job for nothing other than a drink for his fuel, who knows, maybe i'll be lucky?
well said.
like i said earlier I have done many many dsc2 witnessed stalks
5 last week alone.
they paid me and i was happy so were they.
how many have you done for free this year W.S.?
not that many i bet.
it would take forever to put everyone through it at mates rates as things dont seem to happen quick for free.

Gents, please let us not get into arguments over this, again!

The answer is do you want your DSC 2, if yes then approach AW's and get their prices, experience and track record in successful stalks. Then when you are happy and satisfied with the answers go with it. If you are lucky and have someone who can do it for you at cost, then well done you. If you engage the services of a professional remember they are just that and it is how they make their living, so you will be charged accordingly. Remember you are buying a stalk with the additional paperwork on top of that, would you do extra work at your particular job for free.

Research it, shop around but always remember you cannot pay Mini prices and buy a Rolls Royce.

Enough of the bickering!

John

Just cant please some people .

Ive just finished a job for a couple that there builder walked away leaving half a job, after being confronted by building inspectors for some of his building practices he legged it with the cash .

One of the reasons for my helping others for no payment in return, Ive had cancer twice many, many people bent over backwards to help me with benevolence and many other things , through some very harrowing times ,ive only found it fitting to return help to those that require help no matter who or what they are .

John that will be 3( i didnt know it was a race) , for nothing and one on the table .as i type, if thats ok ,it seems that there are very few that give anything back to anyone for nothing on this site .

but john we all know what happens when it becomes a race the portfolios get sent back . ive never yet had any come back to me ??

Last edited:
I believe the cost should be free it is a qualification that already costs from DMQ .If a pro like John Robbo or any one else for that mater takes some one out stalking he gets paid for it and bloody good money. The filling of the potfolio is just an add on for a qualification that actually gets them clients. Christ dont rip them off for that as well. I do see pro,s who will take you out at normal cost and will include the AW section for free.
Might be an idea to get a list up.
John i do my fair share mate no worry,s there and have never charged for one. I see malc has a deal of free paper work so its not every pro that charges.

Like jayB has said its a free market out there. And for the record I have never had one sent back either. This is my job. And as for gifts I have supplied stalks for charities, my fathers and save the rhino those were/are for trophy bucks so a big loss to my outfit. Before I was pro I did many for free as an C.W.
But my time costs money the tax man and my bank manager will laugh if i say just pay my bills with good will this month last week i turned down £160 for paperwork.
The cost of stalking clients pay for the paperwork etc takes time, thats precious time i dont have with my family who often wonder where i am.........out making a living.
regards john

I have leases to pay for, vehicle to run, fuel to pay, high seats, chiller, quad and trailer, dogs all of this needs to be paid for.

Simple answer is its up to you who you use, just ask around, it dosnt cost anything. For myself I have signed off a fair number and it only costs the outing fee £75.00 I do not and never have asked for payment to undertake the paperwork. Thats not to say that others should not. It is a free market as John has pointed out, so its up to the individual to choose who he goes with.

Lets leave it at that shall we, PLEASE.

Hi All
I think all you professional stalkers should all go out and get proper jobs you would have much more time to be able to go out stalking and things:stir::rofl:
Geordie

Last edited:
Our salesman's favorite line "profit isn't a dirty word".

We all have got to make a living.

I once tried to find a driving instructor giving there services away for free but failed ;)

Hi All
I think all you professional stalkers should all go out and get proper jobs you would have much more time to be able to go out stalking and things:stir::rofl:
Geordie

Who is the professional stalker ,sorry to point out these people are outfitters ,not stalkers .

Professional stalkers shoot here own deer .

I think I can pitch this a little better than has been said so far back and forth...

A candidate should consider that 'mates rates' deals are a great way of paying very little to go out and practice on ground that may not be productive and requires many visits before any real opportunity presents itself. This can become a false economy when a candidate runs up many hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles, not including other expenses to try and knock in their 3 culls.

If we weigh this up against the professional services of a full-time stalker you can find paying is actually a much smarter and possibly cheaper option. The pro-stalkers typically know exactly where the deer are on their ground or at least the places of best opportunity and with a nudge in the right direction the candidate has an altogether much higher chance of connecting with a deer.

If there are deer on a ground in good numbers then the candidate will have a far more realistic chance of connecting than if there are only occasional deer or 'the odd few'. A candidate should prepare themselves with this consideration:

If you can afford to pay for stalking on ground where the deer numbers are good then you are likely to generate more opportunities when stalking. I you have your own ground and can get an AW to assess you then make sure you have spent time spying for deer and the places of best opportunity so that your stalking time has the best chance for a cull. If you have no ground and are not in a position to pay for witnessing then network as best as you can and try and get someone like Bob who will help you out for a bit of fuel and a bottle once the deed is done.

Sometimes, a stalker is just not able to access the opportunity to undertake level 2 because of logistics and cost. The best advice in such circumstances is just to be patient and see if it works out better for you in the future.

Back