.338 and firearms dept.

Henry Straker

Have been stewing on the idea of a .338, to be used on deer and vermin. My gut tells me that the firearms lot (police) might be a bit funny about this - was wondering if anyone has applied for a .338 (to be used on deer and vermin) and had any problems in acquiring the variation?

i know someone whose having a struggle to get vermin on .243, ;)

might be down to the area you in tho, because you hear all different stories.

Henry,

Don't even bother filling in the variation form. I can confirm from personal experience that the immediate answer will be a refusal. In addition to which, the military and thereafter the NRA recently passed specific rules concerning firearms to which the 338's is included that restrict their usage on ranges.

I had so much hassle with my 338 Lapua when moving from an English constabulary to a Scottish that i ended up just selling the rifle. In the end, i'm glad i did sell it then because a few friends have been forced to sell theirs, it's now a buyers market and they've lost alot of money.

You'll cry when you buy the ammo - even if you intend to reload for it. Over £100 for 100 good lapua cases, double the quantity of powder = £70 a bottle!

Question - what the hell will you shoot with it? I used to use one in order to try and buck the wind at long ranges - ranges around 1000yds. For example, my most consistent load was a 225gr bullet with 91grs of vhit160 - this threw the bullet out at approx 2700fps. That's around the same speed as a .243 round with less than half the bullet weight. I'd imagine the meat damage to be excessive and any stalker/keeper would likely boot your arse!

If it's just a 'heavy hitter' you want then why not consider the .300 Win Mag? It has similar long range capabilities, 3/4 of the bullet weight and only marginally more expensive to reload than a 308 / 30-06.

If you're determined to get an 'open ticket' with a .338 then i suggest you tell plod that you've found a colony of Grizzly Bears on your patch ;)

I have had the use of one recently and I can't imagine using on on the hill, having to carry one, with scope, bipod, ammo and then everything else you take stalking, no thanks. I would find the length a severe inconvience too, don't know what I'd leave on the hill, the carcass I'd just shot or the rifle...........

TJ

I have a .338 LM for target shooting and would not want to use it for stalking its heavy, noisy and i would imagine that there would be a lot of damage to the animal. A friend of mine did fancy a .338 federal but was told by his firearms department (derbyshire) that they only allow cals over .30 to people who go overseas.

Just spoken to the firearms lot (Northumbria) and they said that Home Office guidance forbids .338 for anything other than dangerous game overseas. I asked if it could be used on deer here if the former was ther case and she said that they had recently given permission to a fella who hunts the dangerous stuff o/seas to also use it on the bigger game species in the UK (i.e. reds).

Friend of mine had an Acuracy International 338 Lap mag for deer and boar.
A great long range accurate rifle, but an absolute pig to carry and set up (no quick shots with one of those )
Was brilliant rifle/ round when used for what it`s designed for, killing things at long ranges. but sod carting it around on the chance of a quick shot .

Similar experience as Scotsgun. Had one for targets to 1000 and it was great, though expensive to shoot (I reload)
Wouldn't want to carry one anything further than from car to firing point.

Not had too much experience with deer stalking but, having seen the damage my 243wsm does to Roe, I wouldn't fancy pointing a 338 at anything in the UK

I have a 300wsm for bigger stuff and that is a heavy, hard hitting beast. So much so that it may be being swapped out for something lighter in the future

My Howa /Hogue stainless 7mm WSM is a sweet carrying rifle , It chucks 162 Grn Hornady's like thunderbolts, & if I can't get cases, Just neck down .300WSM. :D

Pretty similar experiences as everyone else re 338LM.

You need at least a 28 inch barrel, shorter and you leave unburnt powder, most are heavy, not suitable for stalking - my own is a pretty portable 15lbs :lol:

They are sweet to shoot, providing you have brake or moderator fitted, but I would lay money that you wouldn't get one on ticket for deer in the UK.

My own is used on targets out to 2000 mtrs on closed (military) ranges in the UK.

Did I mention they are also expensive to feed - reloads you are looking at circa 2 quid a pop. Factory - a fiver - more expensive than a 50 cal to shoot.

But fun, neverthless ;)

338 Win Mag

I have owned a 338 Win Mag for over 20 years, used it on Red Stags, meat damage not bad, 250gr SP, although 210gr are faster and flatter, and very effective. Accuracy outstanding, recoil is brisk but not unmanageable. My prime weapon of choice has to be my Finnlight in .270 Win, recoil is similar to the .338 but a lot lighter to carry, I my opinion 338 LM is too much gun for the Hill.

Well my mate has a 338lm on an open cert for deer and i have an other syndicate member who was given the option of 300wm or the 338lm for deer but not both so he has the 300 for deer and 338 for target on his cert,I belive if your ground has been passed for all deer class calibres then it is possible to push for one.

Well I don't have one but Lincolnshire who is not know for being at all reasonable or even sensible have allowed one for deer stalking. Funnily enough I have since bumped into the guy who has it.

The ammo cost don't bother him as he don't pay for it it seems HM Government supply it ;) Seems excessive for Muntjac and Roe though :rolleyes: but when it's all said and done you cannot get deader than dead! ;)

However Lincs won't allow me to use the 9.3x57mm for deer :rolleyes: :cry:

scotsgun said:
If it's just a 'heavy hitter' you want then why not consider the .300 Win Mag? It has similar long range capabilities, 3/4 of the bullet weight and only marginally more expensive to reload than a 308 / 30-06.

Don't hold your breath, I have a super accurate custom 300 win mag back home in NZ. On my ticket it says it can only be used on the range or on game outside the UK.

I can't see how you can shoot a roe with a 30-06 and that is al-right and the 300 is too much gun for a red stag??? FFS, I used to use it on chamois and goats amongst other things a bit messy but dead is dead.

What about varminting, ie using a 243 on a fox? surely that is overkill, so why not the 300 :evil:

Not every 338 is a Lapua Magnum! There is not only 338 Winchester Magnum but also the excellent 338-06 (now more than just a "wildcat") and the 338 Federal.

Indeed although not common and short lived BSA produced a 330 rifle specifically for styalking firing a 160 grain bullet at 3000fps - the 330 BSA.

I would think it is not unreasonable for deer in particular sika but you may find that eyebrows would be raised if you asked for it "for vermin" as opposed to the authority to use it on vermin encountered by chance whilst stalking.

And the NRA? What do they know about stalking? They can't even defend properly represent target shooting in this country having failed us totally in 1988 and 1996. The NRA? Any opinion they might have on the suitability of any calibre for stalking is a joke!

What about varminting, ie using a 243 on a fox?

Errm? That is what it was originally designed for in the USA! Coyotes...with the ability to take a 100 grain bullet for whitetail deer.

enfieldspares said:
What about varminting, ie using a 243 on a fox?

Errm? That is what it was originally designed for in the USA! Coyotes...with the ability to take a 100 grain bullet for whitetail deer.

My point is that using a 243 on a fox is IMO no different to using a 300win mag or equivalent cal on a red deer, especially if taking them at range.

Back