Factory ammo 25-06

jon15

What is the best factory ammo for the 25-06, I want one round for muntjac through to reds, I will also shoot some foxes but primary a deer rifle, any suggestions, will be going through a Blaser R93 22” barrel. Happy hunting.

Difficult to say what is best jon but in my experience the Sako 117 grain soft point is excellent. That Bullet will serve you well for all your needs. The Brass is good too if you should ever wish to reload at some point in the future.

Yorkie.

What is the best factory ammo for the 25-06,....

It's very hard to say. In the dim and distant past I used Federal and Remington. If I was buying ammo today, I would probably try RWS first. Ultimately, it's a question of what your rifle likes best. I've had success with Sako ammo in other calibres, so it's got to be looked at too. Regards JCS

I would buy a few different boxes of 20, all 100gr or above and try them out. Every rifle's different but as Yorkie also noted, the Sako 117gr were excellent through mine. Another point (!!) to remember is if you are taking some stalking with a guide they sometimes say "soft noses only please, don't bring ballistic tips" - so the sako would be a good universal for this reason which would rule out the federal 100gr nosler BT's which I found to be excellent and also the Hornady 117gr superformance which I have also used and been really pleased with. It just depends where you put it, what your rifle likes and what you can easily get hold of (its all b expensive - except maybe privi which I never got round to trying). Let us know how you get on.

Difficult to say what is best jon but in my experience the Sako 117 grain soft point is excellent. That Bullet will serve you well for all your needs. The Brass is good too if you should ever wish to reload at some point in the future.

+1

See if Hornady do a SST load for it otherwise try and find a 100g Nosler round.

Federal do a 85g Nosler aswell.

Sako 117 well worth trying......Federal 117 Speer Hot Core......if this groups its a great bullet, worth trying at least......have fun trying em out, all the best !

I like the sound of a slightly heavier bullet, so will try the sako 117 and Hornady 117 BT will let you know how i get on. thanks

I like the sound of a slightly heavier bullet, so will try the sako 117 and Hornady 117 BT will let you know how i get on. thanks

Jon. I tried the 120 gr Remington Core Lokt, so that might be another heavy option? Remington used to have a useful comparsion option on their website, but I can't find it. I have found the Federal one and they list 7 options for .25-06.
Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle
Regards JCS

Last edited:
Have just zeroed it with 117 g hornady BT, shot a 2 cm three shot group at 100m, very happy.

30yrs ago I owned a 25-06. It was the first gun I reloaded for. My best reloads were 5 shot groups @ around 1.25'. A friend, who owned a gunshop, gave me some 25-06 Federal Premium Game Kings to try. Darn, if the first 5 shot geoup wasn't just under an inch. If you're buying loaded ammo, Id hunt with Federal Premium Partitions and practice with the Gamekings. I've no experience nor knowledge of the 25-06 Fusions, but hear great things about them in other calibers. capt david

FWIW, if you have access to a chrony, I sold my 25-06 before I got one, You might check your speeds. The factory spects are usually pretty 'generous' if you have a22inch barrel, as much as 150fps slower. dp

I use the Federal 100grain ballistic tip V Shok.I am using a sako 75. This ammo is very accurate in this rifle and will easily produce 1/2 groups at 1ooyds. I have tried lots of ammo over the years and nothing comes close. Hope this helps.

My Steyr Pro Mountain shoots my Hornady 117grn BTSP home loads at about 2680fps and groups at .75". I also just bought some 100grn PPU ammo for £14.99 a box and they shoot 1.75" groups!! They work out about the same price as my home loads and at 100m they're good enough for deer.

Mate has bought a sako 85 in 25-06 after shooting mine he is having trouble finding factory ammo it likes. Wants it for all deer, any recommendation as he wants to buy a few brands and try them. Many thanks.

100grn federal classic
& same federal premium

Were clover leaf in mine

& privi partisan shot bout 1- 1\2". But I thought they maybe didn't expand too great

But cheap & with a look if it groups

Back