Thread: Z-Aim Hunter Shooting Rest, Any Good?

Z-Aim Hunter Shooting Rest, Any Good?

Hi all,

I've been looking at options for a bi-pod and came across these on the net:

Z-Aim Hunter Shooting Rest

Has anyone ever used them and are they any good?

It looks like a great idea to me but a first hand opinion would be nice before I part with any cash.

Many thanks,

Hmm .... Interesting idea but looks a bit pants as it will probably wobble side to side! Have you tried a bipod or quad sticks?

Like you say it looks like it would wobble from side to side and not be as stable as a bipod, but it would be good to have a play with one.

From what I've seen working in Norway in the past the Scandinavians seem to know there stuff when it comes to hunting.

I have had one for many years fitted to my stalking rifle and it is excellent.
    It takes a little bit of time to practice to get used to various different position and get good at deploying it but it doesn't take long to do.
    Its well made, light and silent in operation, more importantly its incredible versatile to the extent that its being fitted to the custom rifle i've ordered as part of its build.
    Ive never noticed it being particularly wobbly at all far from it, when shooting from prone your doing something wrong if you side loading pressure.

The only downside to it is its unorthodox looks but for field sports shooting it knocks a bi pod into a cocked hat - now for the range thats another matter
    Really nice in a high seat too when the rest is too low you can just raise it up a tad.

I've been thinking about one for a while, but not being able to find one in stock locally to try has been an issue. Keep us informed as to how you get on, should you go for it.

Thanks for the info Jungle,

I really like the look of the Z-Aim but one of the things I'm not sure about is how it attaches to the forend? My rifle is a lovely old Parker Hale and I don't want to have to do too much to fit a Z-Aim to it. As and when I removed it would it leave much damage?

Its attached using a rail and a couple of spacer washers, not unlike a dovetail rail. Its meant to fit using the front sling stud hole (you remove the sling stud) and the front action bolt, this would leave no damage to the stock at all. I didn't like the idea of using the action bolt so mounted mine slightly further forward using the front sling stud hole and another hole drilled into the stock. Ive taken this off now for fitting to my new custom and simply filled the hole with an extra sling stud like you see on many rifle though if you didn't want to do this a brass rifle washer and acre would be an elegant option. The whole thing then slide onto the rail and is held in by two allen grub screw which are tightened from the side.

Some before and after pics - I don't have any pictures of just the rail on sorry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010358 (1).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	24909

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	24908

With Xmas coming anyone got ant new views on this?