stoney object in stomach

norma 308

PC240250.jpg

found this in the stomach of a fallow doe i shot this am ,she was in good health and was pregnant .i put the £1 coin for size as you can see its big did she swallow it or did it form there ?
interesting anyone had similar ?
cheers norma

Look up Bezoar stone.

I've found all sorts of stuff in deer rumens over the years, usually related to litter, but never a true Bezoar.

How old would you say the deer was? Do you still have the jaw?

Are you going to keep it? I would be happy to pay postage and make a donation to a charity if you were willing to pass it on?

Glyn.

They're called Enteroliths. They are stomach juice/enzyme concretions around a foreign body. The fallow that mine came from had 3 in it plus a load of rope a plastic wrap.

Mark

Attachments

• 2012_0216_160333AA.jpg
    2012_0216_160333AA.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 77
No worries glyn you can have it ,I did ring chris Rodgers this am to see if he knew what it was but I guess he was having his hair done or something for some sort of tv show lol .send me your address ,wouldn't mind a look around the park some day in return .
Cheers doug

That's very kind of you Doug, I'll send my address and it goes without saying that you are welcome to come for a look around any time that you are in this neck of the woods. Best wishes, Glyn

That's a really interesting find. I've heard of bezoars but never seen one, other than some dodgy looking examples on eBay ;)

Glyn, apparently they're full of magic powers, so hold on to your hat :D

If anyone else finds one I'd be happy to buy it - would be good for my talk in the village.

willie_gunn

Hopefully it will bring me good karma giving it away ,I had a lucky morning when I shot the two fallow does and long may that kinda luck continue .
regards
norma

I'm counting on it having magic powers! I hope that it's better than those magic beans that I bought from the quaint Romany travelling lady with the beard!

i have found a few this season, there was a good article in a recent Deer Magazine about Enteroliths and Bezoars. Fallow seem to be quite prone to them.

Hello Willie
I have what i think is a bezdar stone, it was in the rumen of a fallow i shot about 3 years ago. She was about 5 years old and in good condition and had a feotus present. You can have it if you can make use of it, just send me your address.
Cheers
Martin Tomlinson

It'd be interesting to carryout an SD survey to see how frequent these are. As I posted earlier I found 3 in one fallow I culled. Since then I always palpate the rumen of all deer I cull to see if I can find anymore. To date I haven't. Next time you gralloch a deer just have a good feel of the rumen. You don't have to cut it open, that is, unless you find one.

No worries glyn you can have it ,I did ring chris Rodgers this am to see if he knew what it was but I guess he was having his hair done or something for some sort of tv show lol .send me your address ,wouldn't mind a look around the park some day in return .
Cheers doug

Hi Doug,
Thanks for sending me the stone, not sure if the magic powers are kicking in yet!
We collected £87 for the East Anglian Air Ambulance on our beaters day and I haven't paid it in yet so I'll make it up to £100 as a gesture towards your postage and goodwill.
Cheers,
Glyn.

Hello Willie
I have what i think is a bezdar stone, it was in the rumen of a fallow i shot about 3 years ago. She was about 5 years old and in good condition and had a feotus present. You can have it if you can make use of it, just send me your address.
Cheers
Martin Tomlinson

A huge "Thank You" to you, Martin, for sending the bezoar to me. :thumb:

It is very much appreciated and displays, once again, the terrific generosity of members of this site.

willie_gunn

Hi Doug,
Thanks for sending me the stone, not sure if the magic powers are kicking in yet!
We collected £87 for the East Anglian Air Ambulance on our beaters day and I haven't paid it in yet so I'll make it up to £100 as a gesture towards your postage and goodwill.
Cheers,
Glyn.
The stone has great powers certainly brought me a bit of luck since I found it had a great couple of days in Scotland I usually struggle to see a deer this time shot 4 roe and a goat !
I too will look for other stones from now on
norma

Back