Bull Bars

K333ROE

Having just purchased a Nissan King Cab I made enquiries about a bull bar.
1. I was told they have to be made for the vehicle, you can't get a welder friend to fashion one for you.
2. It could increase your insurance by hundreds.
If you have an accident and your bull bars or tow bar is not factory fitted you might have no insurance, this was something I never considered before.

Last edited:
Bollix. The laws relating to Bull bars changed a few years ago, and yes there are restrictions on fitting them to vehicles, but the insurance side is rubbish, I have had a number of vehicles with aftermarket, or even my own design bull bars and had no problems. Just tell your insurer up front and make clear that it is an aftermarket bar and you are covered.
Oh and it has never increased my premium either.

On the other side of the coin. A mate of mine was quoted a huge sum for insurance for a 4x4 with bull bars :eek:. Due to the quote he did not buy the said vehicle and found another without BB for a much cheaper price. As with most insurances, it must be who your with.

Think the law change effects behicles registered afterit April 2007. Where only factory fitted collapsible bull bars may be fitted.

one way around having metal aftermarket bull bars/metal bumpers is to fit a winch as it then becomes structurally necessary. This is how all the serious off-road boys get around it.

Back