any news on the rut yet,has it started

7mmWSM

anyone seen any activity yet around the country,just thinking if its worth a trip to my ground in Scotland this weekend

Just got back from Dumfries. Saw no sign of rutting behaviour, in fact, of the 14 deer seen in 3 days of stalking, at no time did we see a buck and doe together.

Having said that, my mate and I ended up with a buck apiece, and had a nice view of a doe with twins, so a good trip nonetheless.

Novice

novice said:
Just got back from Dumfries. Saw no sign of rutting behaviour, in fact, of the 14 deer seen in 3 days of stalking, at no time did we see a buck and doe together.

Having said that, my mate and I ended up with a buck apiece, and had a nice view of a doe with twins, so a good trip nonetheless.

Novice
Thanks for that just so happned I have just called a mate who returned form the same area as you,saw and harvested a couple but didnt see and activity,probably another week or so yet

Returned from D&G this week a day early as there was no activity at all.
A very wet week and very cold as well, not good rutting weather, though I did see a buck with a doe 20 miles east of Newton Stewart at 1.30 in the afternoon in the middle of a wheat field in the pouring rain, so there may be hope yet.

the rut has started here about 12 days ago, but note i said started not "ON".
seen bucks chasing does only last night and this morning but it is half- haerted.
the wheather is'nt helping its raining again now.
Used to shoot in D&G alot myself rut was usualy aug.

Was in Hampshire this w/e. Lots of rutting activity and very distracted bucks. Stalked right past a doe this morning who was calling so hard for a buck I was convinced that the entire population was going to arrive at a run!

Nice weather for a couple of days so probably brought it on.

Here in my part of Hampshire, was out with a client on friday evening, lovely sunny warm evening lots of bucks chasing bucks but no sign of rutting yet.

Anthony

still only half hearted activity here in south norfolk .
The weather is not helping raining again although were having a tad of sunshine as well .
Some thing is definatly going to happen soon the bucks are on the move patroling their boundarys . Say 3 bucks sat morning not 1 of them had a doe near them .
My money is on the first couple of weeks of august if the right weather moves in .

Cheers lee

On my patch in suffolk the rut is certainly on watched a buck chasing and covering a doe this evening and the other half called in 2 bucks, in all 4 bucks in the larder this evening 3 of them taken by ladystalker and thats the buck cull done for us now.

Borrowed a Buttolo last night and thought I would see what this roe calling malarkey was all about on a morning stalk.

Well its different, not quite like normal stalking! I had tried one or two spots but with no reaction, I came through some mature woodland to some young hardwoods of about 12ft in height and with very dense ground cover. I employed the 'less is more' technique to calling as I had been told. After about my third call I heard crashing in the plantation just to my left, but it was the sound of a deer running away. I think one had come out onto the ride close to me, but whilst I was looking the other way, it must have seen me and made a rapid retreat. I thought that would be it but the deer started to bark at me, and from the sound I could tell it was moving left to right across my front and heading slightly away fom me. Another call resulted in multiple barks some distance away. Feeling I had nothing to lose I moved slowly down the ride aiming to get to the end of the woodland and look around the corner to see if the buck(?) had come out into the open on the far side.

On reaching the bottom of the plantation I had decided to have another call, a few seconds later I could hear something crashing from my left, before I had time to realise what was happening, he was there on the ride ten yards away, resplendent in a head dress of bracken and grass. He froze for a millisecond as he saw me, then ran off looking quite odd with all the vegetation on his antlers. I gave the buttolo a firm sqeeze and he stopped instantly fifty yards further down the ride looking back over his shoulder in my direction. The rifle was waiting on the sticks and he was down before he realised his fatal error.

All quite exciting really. I'm off back to work for a couple of weeks starting tomorrow so that was my roe rut started and finished in the one day but I'm looking forward to next year already. Might even go out and buy my own Buttolo.

I was out last thursday with my AW hoping to get lucky and come away able to fill out the first part of my level 2

We saw a lovely buck chasing the doe for all he was worth near Blandford.
However no sign of rutting
Settling in the long grass and hidden for quite some time he popped up eventually and paid the price.

Two more to go

Terry

Back