Sunday's Muntie

I spent sunday stalking for CWD and whilst i had seen a few they were either on the hoof (me having nearly stepped on them in cover) or out in the middle of a flat field with a road as a backstop (not particularly safe). Nothing shootable so i decided to head back to the car for a quick bite and a drink at about 3pm and then headed out again to stalk into a highseat for the evening.

I reached the corner of a grassed field and noticed a muntjack in the far corner, it hadn't seen me and the wind was in my favour so i ducked into cover had a quick check with the binos to seen he was a buck with one antler. Got the rifle up on the sticks to see him jump through a fence. I waited around for a while but nothing else was moving so i continued into the highseat.

All was fine, quiet but looking promising until the farmer decided to drive round the field on his quad checking the bird scarers and bangers. Oh well, he didn't know where i was so not to worry. I decided to double back on myself and re-trace my footsteps from where i saw the muntie buck. I passed the field into a wood block and stalking quietly along and then suddenly stopped to see a muntie streight in front of me, about 40m. Rifle on sticks and bang. Dropped on the spot with a few kicks. Well chuffed. As i approached i could see he was indeed the same muntie i saw in the field earlier, one antler and a knobby stumpy thing on the other side. He had quite a good set of tusks though, sharp too!

Anyway here he is, a bit of a scrapper i recon...
IMAG0285.jpg
IMAG0287.jpg
Jim

Nice one, great little beasts I really look foward to starting on them every year with our guests and then I'm thoroughly p*****d off with them at the end, frustrating little buggers sometimes :lol::lol:

Wayne

Nice one, great little beasts I really look foward to starting on them every year with our guests and then I'm thoroughly p*****d off with them at the end, frustrating little buggers sometimes :lol::lol:

Wayne

I love stalking them, they are my favourite deer to stalk at the moment, I've only shot two (seen a good few more), I find them really challenging. Good fun, and the drag out is never too bad :D

Jim

I'm the same I love stalking them on foot.

I call them "funsize" you havent got to worry about where you got to extract them from.

I was shuffling the deer in the fridge the weekend ready for the game dealer I certainly enjoyed moving the Muntys around compared to the big Fallow buck in there:rolleyes: I'm getting too old, my backs not good:old::lol::lol:

I'm the same I love stalking them on foot.

I call them "funsize" you havent got to worry about where you got to extract them from.

I was shuffling the deer in the fridge the weekend ready for the game dealer I certainly enjoyed moving the Muntys around compared to the big Fallow buck in there:rolleyes: I'm getting too old, my backs not good:old::lol::lol:

oh yes, poor old man!
Somewhere on here I read about guests, friends, clients who were left alone to drag out the bag of the day?
I do remember dragging a nice roebuck through the most scratchy type of whitethorne hedge I could think of, getting back to daylight and glimping in the lense of your video-camera, my friend....:tiphat:
No further comment!

oh yes, poor old man!
Somewhere on here I read about guests, friends, clients who were left alone to drag out the bag of the day?
I do remember dragging a nice roebuck through the most scratchy type of whitethorne hedge I could think of, getting back to daylight and glimping in the lense of your video-camera, my friend....:tiphat:
No further comment!

Thats what mates are for, unfortunately I was too slow to film you crawling through it:D:lol::lol:

Sorry Jim for hijacking your thread.

Wayne

No Wayne, you crack on...always good to hear a bit of banter between mates.

Good to see you supporting your friend with his drag out, having the photographic evidence to support his banter, otherwise its just heresay and fisherman's tales!

No Wayne, you crack on...always good to hear a bit of banter between mates.

Good to see you supporting your friend with his drag out, having the photographic evidence to support his banter, otherwise its just heresay and fisherman's tales!

right daft dog!
Did you all notice the evil laughing at the end of the little video?
Next time he will blame me, because the roe doesnt drop on the spot, or so.....!

Hey, back to the thread, sorry... Me and my friend Heini started all this swap hunt thing with my new friends from the UK with Wayne on the Munties and its still one of the most interesting animals to go for (did I really write this..? as ​the roebuck addicted hunter on earth...?:banghead:), so good luck for many more! I hope to give it another try myself next spring.... HELP Wayne!

Atb:tiphat:

Michael

Back