Ruger M77 Scope Mounts. What's the difference?

ShootinPeter

I bought an M77 243 for bambi bashing without realising the significance of special scope mounts.

What, if any, is the difference between the high, medium and low, (1"), mounts?
e.g. for a scope with 50mm object which mounts do I need?

Not only that, is there any difference between the scope mounts on a Mk.1 and Mk.2?

Pete

I bought an M77 243 for bambi bashing without realising the significance of special scope mounts.

What, if any, is the difference between the high, medium and low, (1"), mounts?
e.g. for a scope with 50mm object which mounts do I need?

Not only that, is there any difference between the scope mounts on a Mk.1 and Mk.2?

Pete

If by "mounts" you mean "rings" then they are all the same. All Ruger centerfires, and rimfire bolt guns take a proprietary ring that mounts to the machined recesses on the receiver. What height ring depends on the barrel. Usually a Medium will make it over a sporter-weight barrel with a 50mm objective. Sometimes though, the problems arise at the other end with the bolt handle not cleanly clearing the rear eyepiece.~Muir

OK, Scope "rings" :)

If by "mounts" you mean "rings" then they are all the same. All Ruger centerfires, and rimfire bolt guns take a proprietary ring that mounts to the machined recesses on the receiver. What height ring depends on the barrel. Usually a Medium will make it over a sporter-weight barrel with a 50mm objective. Sometimes though, the problems arise at the other end with the bolt handle not cleanly clearing the rear eyepiece.~Muir
Well, that sort of helps, Muir but you need to remember I'm a novice here.
I've seen "rings" described as "High" and "Medium" such as here http://www.opticswarehouse.com/acatalog/WARNE_1_INCH_RUGER_77_SCOPE_MOUNTS___RINGS.html
So I guess what you are saying is that Medium Rings are used on sporter-weight barrel and High Rings on other-weight barrels?
Do I have a "sporter-weight" barrel?

Pete,

Feel free to PM me on this. I have a Ruger M77 Mk2 - and moreover may have a set of 1in rings that should suit a 50mm objective going spare.
If you want to buy new, then you'll need high mounts, but Ruger mounts are different heights because of the stepped receiver - so it is confusing. Like I say - feel free to PM me.

E t R

Just for interest I have a set of rings for a K77, (incorrectly supplied for my M77), which has a list of Ruger ring sets on the rear of the packaging:
K77 Rings Rear.JPG

Back