Thread: when to start kids

when to start kids

right guys i have a 7yr old who was with me at 5yr old when i got my first and only deer so far he is real keen to start shooting he comes out with me even if just taking dog out i was thinking of trying him with air rifle obviously with it being in my company at all times and rifle being in my security do u think 7 is too early or not

cheers adrian

Never to early to teach basics and safety issues as long as he's warm dry and interested take him every chance you get.

If he`s keen enough there`s no reason why he shouldn`t start having a plink now. Only you can make sure he`s safe enough.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Hi adrian as above never to young to learn about safety and good handling, both my 2 sons and my daughter were around the same age when they had their first guns they all had Air arms S 200s that was nearly 17 yrs ago now and my youngest son and my daughter are both regular shooters at our local club and both are very into clay shooting.

I have guns because i love shooting, what i hate is red tape and been screwed by a Dishonest Government.

my 8 year old has shot cans and targets with air and a few rimfire calibres
    if he could shut up and sit still for longer than 5 seconds he would come with me more often!

so long as they are interested count your blessings!
    most kids seem pre-occupied with PS3 and iphones!

Agree with what,s being said, gentle start and hammer home good practise, it'll be second nature when they go out in the field.

Start them when they ask to go, they may give up after some time and come back to it, my father used to take me digging foxes in west Wales which was a good 3 hrs in them days, the Only thing I remember was the little cafe outside Carmarthen where all the Sunday diggers used to meet. Shows how young I was or it was the beer the other diggers let me sup when we got to the pub.