1000 yrd AK.

tusker

Just watched "Sons of Guns" and they biult a 1000 yrd sniper rifle on an AK action. looked the part and performed well over 100 yrds (my estamate). Question is would the cartridge ,7.62 x 39 be up to 1000 yrds. Probably not enough down range energy? What do you all think?

Tusker

I own 2 rifles chambered for 7.62x39, a 1952 russian sks and a CZ 858 ( the civilian version of the vz 58) mechanical accuracy aside, the 7.62x39 runs out of steam past 300 yrds. I wouldn't want to get hit by one at a thousand yrds, but there are a lot of other calibers that would leave it in the dust.

The sks is popular here as a short range ( under 150 yrd ) deer rifle, I've seen a few white-tails taken with them over the years and they performed quite well. Some people put it in the same class as the 30-30 winchester. Its similiar, but the 30-30 uses heavier bullets and IMHO is a more reliable killer on deer sized animals. So I'd say no, its definitly not a thousand yrd cartridge.

AB

I don't know what it is, but I seem to have a fascination for this cartridge.
The day I stick a variation in for a bolt action in 7.62x39 is getting closer I think.
No real need for one, I just want one :oops:
Not sure about deer in this country, but I have found several loads that if correct would be easily deer legal.
That aside I'm sure it would make a nice light rifle for fox and small deer.

Neil. :)

I have a Romanian PSL, which is a sniper rifle based on the AK platform. I have no doubt that the bullet will travel 1000 yards, just not sure that the gun will deliver it to its intended target! Should mention that the calibre is .308Wing

Last edited:
I don't know what it is, but I seem to have a fascination for this cartridge.
The day I stick a variation in for a bolt action in 7.62x39 is getting closer I think.
No real need for one, I just want one :oops:
That aside I'm sure it would make a nice light rifle for fox .

Neil. :)

It is indeed:D

Back