5 meals from a 5 kg muntjac

mo

Here are a few of the meals I made up from a muntjac shot this week.

1. Slow cooked venison with leak, carrots and sweet potatoes.

2. Muntjac Pilou toped with roasted almonds. For this I used the saddle cut into "double chops" with the bone left in for more flavor

3. Muntjac Meat Loaf

4. Bones used for venison stock

5. Venison stock.

6. a muntjac wellington I did last year.

The stock will be used to make a soup tomorrow and will be served with home made wholmeal bread

the final meal I will used the remanding mince and make a lasagne.

It would be a lie to say I don’t enjoy the sporting side of stalking e.g. using field craft to stalk into a wild deer to deliver a humane shot but harvesting a organic healthy meat and using it is the main ambition.

This is just my opinion but I can not understand why people stalk and shoot deer only to give it up to the game dealer? for what? a few extra quid? I understand pros can only eat so much venison them self’s and use the carcass money to pay for the lease and costs etc but us amature stalkers should make more use of what we harvest from natures larder. I remember speaking to a guy once who had just shot a deer on an estate we were stalking. I asked him if he’s going to take the carcass home and get some top steaks of it. His reply was No, he doesn’t like venison so he will leave it. I was shocked. but hay ho that’s just me. Everything I shoot I use. If I cant eat it I wont shoot it. The only time I drop venison at a dealer is if I’m stalking and take a hind and calf or similar. I will usualy keep the calf and take the hind to the dealer if it will not fit in my freezer. If I’m out on a paid stalk and grass a deer I usually always take the carcass home with me.

Attachments

• muntjac stew.jpeg
    muntjac stew.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 50
  • muntjac pilou.jpeg
    muntjac pilou.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 53
  • muntjac meat loaf.jpeg
    muntjac meat loaf.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 49
  • muntjac bones.jpeg
    muntjac bones.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 47
  • muntjac stock.jpeg
    muntjac stock.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 42
  • muntjac wellington.jpg
    muntjac wellington.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 47
Next time your down this way, bring sum of that Slow cooked venison with leak, carrots and sweet potatoes down with you;)

Nice!

I love the varied sorts of meals you can make with venison. I too get a good variations of different meals from a muntie/cwd. Recently I've had:

Soup made from the stock of boiling the bones.
Black Bean vension served with noodles
chilli, lime, honey, sesame seeds corriander (and some other stuff) with noodles
Backstraps fillets coated in cracked pepper and chilli flakes, pan fried and then served with a dribble of raspberry gin.
lasagne...venison makes the best lasagne!
next on the list are Burgers and sausages!

All the best!

Daft dog I may have to get a couple of them recipies of you! black bean venison sounds fab!

Next time your down this way, bring sum of that Slow cooked venison with leak, carrots and sweet potatoes down with you;)
no problem mate! hope your keeping well? Have you neen sparky latley?

Last edited:
That lot looks great! I have to admit, I'm slightly envious of anyone who is skilled in the kitchen, as I am a hopeless chef ( apart from pancakes- an art I perfected in the summer of 1997)
Mrs Buckaroo8 doesn't like venison so I give it away to friends+family mostly (some of whom are kind enough to invite me round to share the meals)
My faithfull hound gets more than his fair share of the trimmings aswell!

Field to freezer in motion - nothing more satisfying... except for maybe the final tug that ends the battle of removing said munty from his skin.

Slightly envious of anyone who has the skill and time to prepare a meal from the wild harvest .My butchery and culinary skills just about stretch to skinning a pack of bacon and frying it .All my deer go to a dealer im ashamed to say .

Daft dog I may have to get a couple of them recipies of you! black bean venison sounds fab!

Enough haunch, diced into inch cubes for however many people your wanting to feed. Remove all the silverskin off the meat. then..

The following for the marinade is per couple your feeding:
- 1 heaped tablespoon of black beans (get from a chinese food wholesalers). Soak them in water for 5 mins and drain as they are very salty.
- Half a bulb of garlic
- a teaspoon or cornflower
- 3/4 level teaspoon of dried ginger (or equivlent of fresh)
- 1 pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- two pinches of cracked pepper corns.

for the veg (per each couple):
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 10 (ish) mushrooms

for the noodles:
sharwoods egg noodles (medium). 1 slab of noodles per person, poor boiling water onto them in a pan, bring to boil boil for 20 seconds and then plunge into cold water. drain.

So to cook:

Make the marinade...add to the meat and then leave for as long as you want.
In a smoking hot pan, put the meat, when approx half cooked (a couple of minutes), add the onion. Toss it for a minute or so and then add the other veg. When nearly ready add the noodles to the pan and cook it all together for a further 45 seconds on a hot pan.

Total cooking time is about 5 mins....don't cook it for too long otherwise the meat starts to get chewy!

The best black bean you could want. Can also serve it with rice instead of noodles if you prefer!

Enjoy

Slightly envious of anyone who has the skill and time to prepare a meal from the wild harvest .My butchery and culinary skills just about stretch to skinning a pack of bacon and frying it .All my deer go to a dealer im ashamed to say .

you really want to keep a few back for yourself. your missing out on a huge aspect of stalking. come up to oxford and I will show you. Just done a 16kg muntie. Nice bit of fillet, couple of rolled joints some mince, diced and no horse. result.

Thanks mate.Will keep that in mind .Just so very easy to point the vehicle towards ReMingtons place and offload what would be a time consuming ordeal for me resulting in two back legs and a blood stained kitchen .

Back