Thread: Roe Doe

Roe Doe

about 5 weeks ago i got my first farm with a few deer on it and was asked by the farmer to get rid of them asap.
    The deer (3 roe) were living in a 4 acre wood which was surrounded by an orchard on 3 sides, the orchard being the reason the farmer wanted them removed. on my first recce of the wood i caught a glimpse of the deer and over the next week i saw them another 3 times.
    The farmer rang me and said 1 of the deer had been run over which left me just 2.
    I built myself a high seat at work from an old ladder and put it in the wood but had no luck so i moved the high seat to the other end of the wood and early last saturday had a doe walk within 10 yards of me but due to being the wrong side of the hedge offered no shot.
    I went lamping foxes on tuesday night and saw the deer in the orchard and thursday after work i had another stalk and got within 50 yds but again they winded me and were gone. Bloody frustrating this stalking
    This morning i was up early again and in the orchard by dawn, i stalked around the entire orchard but saw nothing so i headed back to the truck and whilst walking along the edge of the wood i was looking in desperation for the deer when suddenly barely 40 yds in the wood was a doe, i expected her to race off again but she didnt move so as slowly as i could i put the 25-06 onto the sticks and sent a 100gn sp on its way,
    she collapsed at the shot and then the other roe appeared and instead of being a small button buck or doe it was in fact a very nice 6 point buck in velvet.
    I carried out the gralloch and carried her back to the truck, im not sure what she weighs but shes big
    Hopefully the buck will stay around for the next 5 weeks.
    Im very pleased on getting my first succesful solo stalk under my belt and look forward to many more
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	549.7 KB 
ID:	25085

Well done!
    Now you just have to hang on until April for the buck. It's a shame you can't leave him grow for a few years if he's young and showing potential.

Well done! I had my first solo successful stalk last summer, its a great feeling! Shame the farmer wants them all gone.
    Hunted - England, Scotland, Poland, South Africa and Spain.

Great stuff, still yet to get my proper solo stalk! Lovely looking rifle too. Addictive stuff this stalking lark!!
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Congrats, I will never forget my first solo. It's a great feeling, and especially when you're getting a farmer on side.

nice one Jonty

Shame he wants ride of them but it's you or somebody else mate.

You could always ' move the buck a couple of miles in my direction

Good going mate. You have worked hard to get at them. I will lend the high seat for my muntjac patch when you dont need it.

Catch you soon mate..

Thanks for the comments, Charlie it's a Tikka 690 in 25-06 which I bought very cheaply,
    Jon if its all the same to you I think I will deal with the buck myself
    Jamie, it's been hard work getting some deer of my own to manage and I will have to make you a high seat of your own as the manager of a large orchard next to this farm has asked me to reduce the number of roe and fallow on his farm

great stuff mate. My 1st fallow could be on the cards soon then