Moderators - AGAIN

Coal

Right

Ive made my mind up that im putting a PES on my .243 but do I go for a over the barrell type (at £270) or a screw on the end of the barrell (at £160)? Has anyone got one or used one?

Any thoughts please...

I've got a PES over the barrel type and there okay. personally I'd wished I'd bought a JetZ (small and more compact). but as I have a PES on my .243 they good.

I use a PES over the barrel, blissfully quiet on my .243 and as debated on a previous thread usually see the shot reaction through the scope. I would recomend one.
John.

Coal

The PES are well made, but very very heavy compared to some of the newer moderators on the market, A-Tec are good, but try having a look at the new “Ranger” from Jager sporting arms, it is light, fully strippable, and at only £175 very good value while giving nothing away in suppression to any of the other makes.

If you really want a PES I might know were there is a “Scout” going cheap as the guy does not use it any more since he has one of the above. ;)

Best rgds

Tahr

Thank you for the replies. I am now thinking of going back to the drawing board... however are muzzle cans better than over the barrel?

Coal said:
Thank you for the replies. I am now thinking of going back to the drawing board... however are muzzle cans better than over the barrel?

Both designs have there merits, the over barrel moderators tend to give a better balance rifle as some of the weight is further back. Muzzle mounted cans are better if you are shooting a large number of shots one after another (not really a stalking issue) as the barrel can get very hot with a over barrel moderator fitted. Another point is if you have a semi-auto then it is not always possible to fit an over barrel moddy. Most moderators are built aboard with at least one eye on the semi-auto/military market. Hence why you see a number of muzzle mounted cans about.

For the UK stalker all aspects being equal the over barrel design is probably the better design. IMO

Best rgds

Tahr

I think most moderators are ok. You dont see many people with cautionary tales just "i use xyz and it does the job" personally i use an ase utra s5 and it "does the job".
One thing to think about is that if you have any thoughts of getting a 30 cal in the future it may be worth getting a 30cal can. I had to drill out my s5 to .30 when i got my .308 works fine but i could have avoided the aggro. People may tell you that it wont be as effective however this isnt my experience.

Regards

Pete

pete evans said:
I had to drill out my s5 to .30 when i got my .308 works fine but i could have avoided the aggro. People may tell you that it wont be as effective however this isnt my experience.

Regards

Pete

I think for most moderators your advice is fine Pete, I too have run 22cf on 30cal moddies without problems, however there is one brand of moderator on the market that seems to need to be matched carefully with the bullet calibre, other wise sound reduction is greatly compromised.

Best rgds

Tahr

I put an AES UTRA Stainless reflex Mod on my .243 £240 and it is whisper quiet. Being stainless it is more resistent to corrosion, doesn't need to be stripped down, quick spray of WD40, left to evaporate and awaty you go.

Weighs a bit, but compensates the recoil and muzzle flip beautifully. Good investment so far.

SS

I've got a stainless steel over-barrel PES on my Tikka T3 (.243). It is a bit heavier than some of the other models I considered, but my T3 is stainless/synthetic so is fairly light to start with. I went for a S/S mod as it seemed a bit daft not to given the rest of the rifle is weatherproof... :confused:

UPSIDES: very good taming of noise and muzzle-flip, weatherproof construction - and feels like you could knock nails in with it without worrying about denting the thing. :lol: Slimline design - unlike its owner...

DOWNSIDES: you notice the extra weight when your rifle swings up from underneath your shoulder on the sling, and notice it even more when you're halfway up a big pull up a hill :eek: . ( bright S/S finish easily covered up with a cover from Garlands, if memory serves me right)

Overall, despite the extra weight, don't regret my choice at all. Would recommend.

Thanks Merlin

Im going to order one at the weekend although im also looking at the end of barrel type before just to check which I prefer.

I have a PES T12 scout on a 222rem. I have just bought an ASE Utra for my soon to arrive 260rem.

I have used the ASE on my buddies 243 quite a bit recently.

The ASE is the way to go.

Better noise reduction to my ears than the PES, plus it is about half the weight.

If your barrel is 24", I wouyld cut it back to 21" and go with the ASE.

Coal said:
Thanks Merlin

Im going to order one at the weekend although im also looking at the end of barrel type before just to check which I prefer.

I will say again, look at the Jager sporting arms Ranger mod, before you buy or you could regret your decision. ;)

Best rgds

Tahr

Thar said:
I will say again, look at the Jager sporting arms Ranger mod, before you buy or you could regret your decision. ;)

Best rgds

Tahr

This is a bit unusual, you have been heartily reccomending A-tec moderators for years, are they not up to much anymore?

"Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-Tec, A-Tec, A-Tec wieghs less than a Wildcat and is Quieter. I have one on my 270, it is a pussy cat to shoot. I have T8 plus a couple of ones I have made myself, the latest one has a Titanium baffle stack. The A-Tec is the best factory one out there in my opinion.

Best rgds

Tahr"

Hi DL

If you handle a new Jager sporting arms moderator you will see it is very simlar to the A-Tec with one or two of the A-Tec weakness ironed out. The big difference is the price, the Jager sporting arms one is only £175 this is about £100 less than the A-Tec. The baffle stack is all stainless steel on the Jager one with the body being aluminium. I believe that Titanium baffle stacks will also be available at an extra cost in the near future.

8 to 9 years ago I thought the T8 was the best moddy out there, then for a while the PES was king of the hill, but like in a lot of things time moves on and improved and or better value produces come available.

I recommend this moderator because it has a stainless steel baffle stack to resist corrosion, aluminium body for lightness and it conductive properties, it is a overbarrel design so it upset the rifles balance as little as possible, it is at least as effective in sound reduction as anything else, it is made in the UK and cost less than most other moderators out there.

I think they are at least worth looking at, before anybody spends there hard earned cash on something they may latter regret.

Best rgds

Tahr

Ase Utra Compact Sound Moderator

I have an Ase Utra Compact on my Sako 6.5x55 it does the business. I did look at some others however the T8 was bottom of my list. Here's my setup if you are interested:

SakocompositeLR.jpg

photopro

Thar said:
I think they are at least worth looking at, before anybody spends there hard earned cash on something they may latter regret.

I'm still looking at moderators with interest, like you say there are progressions all the time, & I'd like to think I had bought the right one.

DL said:
I'm still looking at moderators with interest, like you say there are progressions all the time, & I'd like to think I had bought the right one.

At the minute it is a bit like buying a new mobile phone or computer, you do your research, look at all the pro’s and con’s and go and buy what you think is the best for you, only for 6 months to a year latter somebody brings out something better or as good but £100 cheaper. :eek: I guess you can only look what is available at the time and make your decision at that point.

Here is a bit of inside info’ for you. I made a very light weight moddy for a 223 over a year ago see photo, I have heard this week from my mate that it will be going into production with a few small improvements, price wise it will be very very completive. It weighs in at 276gms and extends in front of the barrel 4”.

And before anybody asks I will get no financial benefit from this, I let a mate have it because you help your mates out when you can. :D
PIC00416.jpg

PIC00419.jpg

Best rgds

Tahr

Back