Three Legged Roe

poor thing needs shot. I have seen a few kicking about myself, that one looks as if its been caught on somthing cheers Hootsman

Not saying it doesn't need culling but.....

If you search through the site there are numerous reports of three (and even two!) legged deer that have "recovered" to lead pretty normal lives. We had a three-legged roe doe that was around for several years and bred successfully. Deer are remarkably resilient animals.

I would have said that she was urinating/scent marking in the first photo, rather than resting on the stump of her rear leg, which maybe makes it look worse - in the second photo she seems much more balanced. As I say, just speculation on my part.

willie_gunn

I came past a bit later and got another picture of them couched, there is nothing to say this is a new injury and apart from a definite limp it is still getting about.

ThreeLeggedRoe3.jpg

As have said before, I have in one herd at the moment 3 Fallow does that are on three legs all of which appear happy with their lot,
2 of them have yearlings running with them, and all jump fences etc without to much trouble.
If however any of them start to struggle their end will be very swift.

This Roe doe wasn`t going about very well before I took it into custody.
HWH.
3leggedDoeBeastriggs14thFEB09.jpg

A 7 pointer Red Stag which had problems. [ Mine started when I had to drag it down a mountain with no help either mechanical or human.]
Picture taken just prior to loading it into my vehicle.
HWH.
DSC_0137-2.jpg

Saw the doe up close again this morning up close but unfortunately no camera. The stump is completely healed and although it walks on its stump which looks awful, once it is running you can't spot the difference between it and the others.

If the stump is completely healed she will be fine, as willie gunn says they are very resilient animals and cope quite well with the loss of a limb, have seen several over the years including a red hind which had lost both front feet.

Back