Moderator's and full copper bullets.

Rowners

Is anybody aware of any negative effects of shooting full copper ammunition through a moderated rifle. I seem to remember some time ago (6ish years) that we were trying the Barnes X bullet in .308 and that it didn't group as well as our Norma 150gr BT's so we reverted back to the Norma's.

can anybody shed any light on this?

ATB

Rowners

I can't see how a moderator will have any effect on the bullet other than perhaps changes in barrel harmonics due to the change in ammo. Could be that it was simply that that particular load didn't suit the rifle. After all the bullet should never actually contact the moderator.

Only thing I can think of ( so by no means in depth! ) is a bullet stability issue.

The 'copper' bullets will be longer per a given weight and whilst the barrel rate of twist may be fine for accuracy, if the moderator is a close fit at the baffles stability may throw things a little.

Not talking about bullets flying side-ways, but initial stability on muzzle exit. Eg Atec advising 30 cal mod for 6.5 rifles.

Is anybody aware of any negative effects of shooting full copper ammunition through a moderated rifle. I seem to remember some time ago (6ish years) that we were trying the Barnes X bullet in .308 and that it didn't group as well as our Norma 150gr BT's so we reverted back to the Norma's.

can anybody shed any light on this?

ATB

Rowners
never had a problem,as its been said the bullet probably didnt suit your twist

Moray, I feel you may be on to something with this. We found through x 3 .308's, 2 sako's and 1 tikka that they all suffered in terms of grouping. They would shoot a 4 inch disk at 100yrds so was fine for clients but we found that removing the moderators they would group better. We have recently tried Lapua full copper expanding through our .338 Lap Mag and this too seems to suffer on holding a tight group. I feel further investigation may be necessary.

Rowners.

Tried GMX in 308 through two Sako's - 85 and 75. Despite Hornady claim, the load did need backing off a bit, but thereafter did shoot to same point of aim as the SST - both 150 grain. Both grouped fine mod on or off - one had 30 cal ASE Northstar the other a S5.

On deer performance was very poor though.

I've found the Barnes TTSX copper bullets to be more accurate than any other bullet I've tried and that has been quite a few out to 1000yds I've shot them out too, performance on deer has been awesome nothing has touched them but that's only my findings and as we know what suits well in one rifle may not be any good in another....

Would agree that the knock down power of the Barnes was unparalleled would have loved to continue using it. Not one wounded stag with clients even the odd questionable shot.

The Ttsx and TSX bullets are different beasts to the old X bullets. I have found the TSX group as well as ANY other bullet I have tried and better than most. The X bullets of the past could be a bit fickle though. I believe that this is due to the pressure relieving effect of the bands on the shank of the bullet. I think it is also important to recognise the differing expansion properties of the copper bullets. In general each bullet will behave like a heavier lead core bullet would do. Consequently to match performance of a 150g 308 lead core bullet, a 130 grain TSX would be appropriate.
To be honest most people who post about them seem to be converts to the concept and the sceptics appear not to have use the bullet in anger but merely don't like the concept. Cost could be an issue as well but the cost pales into insignificance compared to the other stalking gear and is mitigated by the reduced meat loss

The Ttsx and TSX bullets are different beasts to the old X bullets. I have found the TSX group as well as ANY other bullet I have tried and better than most. The X bullets of the past could be a bit fickle though. I believe that this is due to the pressure relieving effect of the bands on the shank of the bullet. I think it is also important to recognise the differing expansion properties of the copper bullets. In general each bullet will behave like a heavier lead core bullet would do. Consequently to match performance of a 150g 308 lead core bullet, a 130 grain TSX would be appropriate.
To be honest most people who post about them seem to be converts to the concept and the sceptics appear not to have use the bullet in anger but merely don't like the concept. Cost could be an issue as well but the cost pales into insignificance compared to the other stalking gear and is mitigated by the reduced meat loss

Couldn't agree more !!

Couldn't agree more !!

Think youv'e hit the nail on the head!;)

Back