RTA RSPCA Dilemma?

Monkey Spanker

Got a call in the middle of the night from the National RSPCA control centre to attend a fairly local Deer RTA. Being fairly 'bleary eyed' at the time, my reply was that I'd had a couple of cans of cider earlier and couldn't therefore cover it. Having since thought about it, and the recent scandals regarding them wasting so much of their charitable donation money against countryside pursuits, I'm thinking that my next answer to them might be that they should go and pay for a vet to do their dirty work and not expect me to do it for free!
As much as I don't like to think of an animal suffering, which is why I volunteer on the police call out register for RTA's, I recently decided that I would no longer support the RSPCA because of recent events. So, I am left with a dilemma regarding political stance versus deer welfare!???
What should I do next time they call?
MS:confused:

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but - I would have thought you are registered with the police, not the RSPCA. Therefore you could explain that if they want you to go out then you will make a charge for incurred expenses - fuel, ammo, your time etc. Then present them with a bill at the end of it?

Just a thought - that way you are fulfilling your moral obligation to put the animal out of its misery as quickly as possible and also serving your political agenda by making the RSPCA realise that they don't get things for free.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but - I would have thought you are registered with the police, not the RSPCA. Therefore you could explain that if they want you to go out then you will make a charge for incurred expenses - fuel, ammo, your time etc. Then present them with a bill at the end of it?

Just a thought - that way you are fulfilling your moral obligation to put the animal out of its misery as quickly as possible and also serving your political agenda by making the RSPCA realise that they don't get things for free.

The trouble is, that not everyone knows that they should call the police! I've been to one where various individuals had called the police who called me, a local vet, and the RSPCA. I also get individuals which call me directly. I've done quite a few for the RSPCA and the individual operators which I meet have all been very understanding and grateful for my help. I quite like the idea of telling them that there will be a bill raised to see thier response! I'm sure that every vet would raise one? I've had some where there is no way a vet or RSPCA could have managed. They'd have to agree then!
MS

Do it one more time and submit your invoice afterwards for "professional services", they have an army of solicitors submitting them with no conscience so why should you!

That should prove a point and stop the phone ringing.

MS... Correct me if I'm wrong here but.... My mate does this in the Bristol area, it too is co-ordinated between police and RSPCA but he gets paid a call out fee for each icident he attends... somewhere round the £60 a pop if memory serves!

Last edited:
Deer welfare every time .Dont think the deer need to suffer inspite of the RSPCA ..Ithink people are begining to see through this charity,that its the political arm of the anti brigade is not lost on a great many more people now they have seen the donations made to help animals used to fund a court case that had no chance .A bigger waste of money you could'nt find. Keep up the good work . ...........................Ps talk is cheap , i do the same type of call out for the same people so know exactly how you feel ...

MS... Correct me if I'm wrong here but.... My mate does this in the Bristol area, it too is co-ordinated between police and RSPCA but he gets paid a call out fee for each icident he attends... somewhere round the £60 a pop if memory serves!

It depends upon where you are mate. Some constabularies pay, others don't, and some don't even have a call-out scheme!
I've done it for years for free! I did write to Suffolk Police and suggested that they could maybe do a token £10 per call payment to cover costs and maybe encourage more people to do it. Their reply was that it was a 'Public Service' and that if I didn't want to do it, I didn't have to! I nearly gave it up at that point but didn't! It is a thankless task, but I do it as my way of giving something back for all the healthy ones I shoot!
MS

I think you have to put welfare before any political nonsense personally, but I was going to say the same as vipa ( I think we have the same mutual friend?)... the RSPCA pay per call out round here. This is for calls routed through the RSPCA, not the police.

Ours is a voluntary scheme ,no pay or exes .The league against ops sorry the RSPCA do pay if called out by them .

I think you have to put welfare before any political nonsense personally, but I was going to say the same as vipa ( I think we have the same mutual friend?)... the RSPCA pay per call out round here. This is for calls routed through the RSPCA, not the police.

As it happens csl :lol: yes we do!

personally as a Deer Manager deer welfare comes FIRST, and that goes for any animal that maybe suffering, regardless of what views i hold for the various organizations the welfare should be the priority

I've had some where there is no way a vet or RSPCA could have managed.

Some vets are rather well armed too! I know what you mean about walking wounded and a young vet turning up with a bottle of Euthetal and a syringe.....

Don't dismiss us all.

I'm sure that every vet would raise one?

Absolutely. If anyone calls me out in a professional capacity they get a bill. I am in business and if I don't make some money at the end of the year I will be very sad.

I have billed both the police and the RSPCA and being paid from both organisations. The RSPCA has an agreement with private vets that they will contribute £60+call out+'reasonable OOH fees to emergency treatment or euthanasia of unowned or wild animals (unowned dogs are the dog warden's responsibility now).

I suspect the RSPCA are using recreational stalkers to save themselves the cash.

If you didn't do it they would have got someone else who could. Animal welfare is important, but it doesn't come above your own welfare. They don't make one phone call and then wait for it to die.

If they (RSPCA or the police) are calling you out then you should be paid for it - even if just a token gesture (£50). If these people didn't offer to do this for free then these bodies would HAVE to pay a vet or slaughterman. These schemes seem to have people falling over themselves to join and I'm not sure that helps anyone.

Some vets are rather well armed too! I know what you mean about walking wounded and a young vet turning up with a bottle of Euthetal and a syringe.....

Don't dismiss us all.

Absolutely. If anyone calls me out in a professional capacity they get a bill. I am in business and if I don't make some money at the end of the year I will be very sad.

I have billed both the police and the RSPCA and being paid from both organisations. The RSPCA has an agreement with private vets that they will contribute £60+call out+'reasonable OOH fees to emergency treatment or euthanasia of unowned or wild animals (unowned dogs are the dog warden's responsibility now).

I suspect the RSPCA are using recreational stalkers to save themselves the cash.

If you didn't do it they would have got someone else who could. Animal welfare is important, but it doesn't come above your own welfare. They don't make one phone call and then wait for it to die.

If they (RSPCA or the police) are calling you out then you should be paid for it - even if just a token gesture (£50). If these people didn't offer to do this for free then these bodies would HAVE to pay a vet or slaughterman. These schemes seem to have people falling over themselves to join and I'm not sure that helps anyone.

What a great post! I especially like the bit where you say 'Animal welfare is important, but it doesn't come above your own welfare'. A proper old school vet.

Your Spot on VIPA the RSPCA do pay call out fees in the region of £60 a call out

I thought the idea was to help the deer ? I can see where your coming from as a business but if people want to give a little time and effort and it helps whats wrong with that ? not every thing has to be about money surely !

If he pops the deer twice does he get £120??

Your right to have a conscience for the wounded deer and if you don't go out at silly o'clock at your own expense don't beat yourself up.
Somebody else will get a call and the deer will be taken care of.
You guys do a good job more often than not in unsociable hours and should be paid at least £50 I pay that much walking through the doors of my vet , I have no idea what he would charge for a call out at 3 in morning plus drugs.

Excuse the pun ' stick to your guns'

craggy

Try asking the RSPCA how much they contributed to the campaign to ban fox-hunting! The blighter's always have their hand out for contributions from a lot of folks who enjoy country sports who probably are not aware of the size of the contribution. Advise them of the cost then send them the bill for time travel, disposal etc.

We, ALL, as sprotsmen, and women, who love our sport and the 'un-written' rules, shouold band together and set prices for do humanian work for the RSPCA. When we have to go out, in the middle of the night, we charge the same, or a wee bit less than a vet. would charge and, perhaps the RSPCA would wake up and smell the coffee (tea). They think we, who do take on the tough job of being a humanian, do it for free and as long as it is done that way, theywill continue to take advantage of us.

If, as it has been claimed, on thie thread, that the RSPCA feels the Humanian job is volunteer, then, if they don't want to re-imburse expenses, we as Humanians ( will also be one when I FINALLY, get over there), should "volunteer" out of doing the job for free. Re-imbursing expense, set down clearly, is not a great deal to ask for.

Just my two penc.

Back