Thread: Primary Shot at Deer

Primary Shot at Deer

Good afternoon fellow stalkers and other interested parties.

I've just read in the SGA magazine that the UK's first Deerstalking Fair is imminent and I'm really looking forward to it.

The organisers appear to be really experienced, capable and responsible stalkers, according to the tone of the SGA article.

I have read through some of the threads on this site and I am delighted to read that there are a few other stalkers out there, like myself, who are not afraid to speak plainly and I find that quite refreshing.

This site seems to favour the humane despatch of deer through recognised and accepted best practice guidelines and it appears to promote the welfare of deer, over mere financial gain.

There are many people out there who can definitely talk the talk but they cannot and never ever will, walk the stalk.

To that end, I am looking for feedback on this genuine question:

Is it wrong to stipulate that the primary shot at every deer on the ground that you are 'managing' should be a head or a neck shot?

I would add that there are no dogs available for tracking wounded deer, in this hypothetical scenario.

I am completely new to this forum so please forgive me if I have failed to adhere to any site or general protocol, for if nothing else, the passage of time has taught me that I am far too plain speaking for my own good.

Hmmmn, If you have done a bit of reading through the site, you should have found a thread on head shooting, many, many replies on it.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Nr Newport (shrops)
    wild animals = big bit shot

park/behind fence = head or neck shot

that my take on this scenario

loosing a few at the game dealer should never be put before DEER WELFARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it just me or is there a distinct similarity in name to another member on here........
    I smell a wind up!

jamross65 is organising the deer fair you talk of. You have registered the username rossjam56.

PM me please. If you can convince me it is a genuine coincidence I'll reopen this thread.

I might also add that your introduction is rather thin. Perhaps you might like to give us a bit more information, as my colleague has already pointed out your sign in name and that fact that you have already tried to start a thread that is bound to raise eyebrows is not the best of starts.

And thats me speaking my mind straight as well.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to