deer dog register

I am not surprised by the fact these sorts of registers will start appearing from every where
what does surprise me is the fact they are being launched with out any one having any idea or knowledge about them before hand
or any info available on the site itself :confused: so it gives the site a good solid base to start with
before expecting others to sign straight up
but it all fits into place now , knowing who is behind this ;)
Anthony
Just be very carefull here and find out exactly what your insurance policy covers you for , before even attempting to take a call out from such a site
let us know how you get on , as i don't feel this is the right site for me to frequent
ATB

I hadn't seen this new site until I read this post.

I have, therefore, to confess to being somewhat bemused when I made my first visit and saw the advertisers being used:

DeerDogRegister.jpg

I'm not sure the young lady on the right would be very happy knowing she was on any type of 'dog register', deer or otherwise ;)

In all seriousness, adverts like this wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence as to the site. :confused:

willie_gunn

OK, thanks stone for your advice i will wait and see what happens, at the moment i have the BDS stalking insurance which covers me for the police RTA's in Hampshire, but as you say dont know how i would get on useing the dog and if he was to cause an accident.
I am not going to nock it till i find out more, i just think the concept of some sort of register is a good thing and if i can help someone out with a lost deer then i will, but if things are not run correctly then its not for me.
Hope we can meet some day as it seems you are very knowledgeable on this subject.

regards Anthony

I think stand buck may be right, too much jumping through hoops, bits of paper that don't mean much.

Just need to get people with dogs out doing it, not talking about it.

Stand Buck said:
Jason said:
Maybe it time for tracking assesments/ tests......

That's just what the Deer world dose not need yet more paperwork.
i agree with both of you here
But we do need some sort of testing so it makes it more creditable and at the end of it all you would not want some one who has never tracked before turning up and being completely out of their depth , not fair on either party
so a general competence test that is testing but not out of this world which does not cost the earth to get that bit of paper of acknowledgement and judge by those that hav an idea with common sense involved not just ticking box's cos officialdom says thats how it should be
the worm is turning ;)

willie_gunn said:
I hadn't seen this new site until I read this post.

I have, therefore, to confess to being somewhat bemused when I made my first visit and saw the advertisers being used:

DeerDogRegister.jpg

I'm not sure the young lady on the right would be very happy knowing she was on any type of 'dog register', deer or otherwise ;)

In all seriousness, adverts like this wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence as to the site. :confused:

willie_gunn

She is a popular girl I have just seen her on facebook!

What sort of test?

If it were up to be it would be follow a trail laid with 150ml of blood for 1000m across gorse and heather followed by a 300m chase before bringing the deer down and pinning it until the handler arrived. All off the lead and in a park full of deer as you wouldnt want the dog tracking unwounded deer.

If it wouldnt do the above then it would not be a dog for me, or a certificate worth having.

That should be about good enough shall we call it the DSC3 Dog Stalking Certificate 3 :lol:

The best deer trackking dogs I have seen and owned have never been trained or certificated to track deer they have just done it, there are quite a few members of this site who they have dragged out of the S#~!.

What better recommendation than feedback, word of mouth and personal recommendation?

This system has a proven track record and works, if it aint broke dont fix it.

The WSCC was a certificate that was intended to be voluntary but look what has happened, a voluntary dog tracking certificate is all very well, but that dose not mean it will not become mandatory like the wscc has evolved.

[quote="Stand Buck

What better recommendation than feedback, word of mouth and personal recommendation?

This system has a proven track record and works, if it aint broke dont fix it.

[/quote]

HOOOOOORRAAAAAYYYY
As i said the worm is turning
looks like we are on the same wavelength ;)

I agree with you about the fact that it is a bad thing someone turning up with no idea of what to look for and a dog that is out of it's depth and has never tracked wounded deer befor.
please tell me who is going to tell my dog is upto the job, and who is going pay for me to travel to where ever the testing centre is.
I think if someone was to turn up and and they where well out of there depth, word would soon get around.
I am shaw there are many people on this site, who have been helping freinds and other stalkers who have lost wounded deer for many years and have not had there dogs tested, BUT JUST WONT TO HELP.

Anthony

Anthony

i will try my best to answer your questions at this time
i hav set up my own dogs for deer days at my own expense
WHY you ask
to get those interested and who hav a passion in working dogs to get involved and on the right guide lines
at this moment intime i am looking for and approaching creditable dog handlers who know what they are talking about when it comes to working dogs for deer and tracking
their credentials says it all in my eyes and word of mouth makes them even more creditable ;)
as for training and assesment it is being looked at implemented country wide at our expense so hopefully by getting all parties interested in helping out by PM'ing me some details, i can sort out a venue close to all concerned in that area
though were are looking at a contribution factor here
fairs , fair and all that just to help cover costs
so you will be tested by a fellow dog handler who knows thier stuff
as a voluanteer i would hope you would find a little spare cash just to fund your own fuel , as i said hopefully most will not hav to travel to far if poss
how far would you travel for a free days stalking and would you quibble about the fuel cost
hopefully all that show interest are passionate about working thier dog/s
i hav trained my dog just for deer and quite willing to travel just to give her the work and improve my knowledge and experience
i hav done this off my own back and now getting help and support of such geniune people that also want to be involved
yourself included
i am gratefull for that
intime those others out there that are willing to help will come forward when they realise it is not just about making money but genuine people that want to help
they will want to be apart of that , as they are that sort of person
ATB
ATB

I think stone at the end of the day we both wont the same things,
we both have trainded a dog just for deer, we are both very passionate about working our dogs, and top of my list and probaley yours to is deer welfare ( people ask me why i do police atr's, again deer welfare and 9 times out of ten its at 3 am in the morning )
but i am still not sure about this testing thing and what its going to cost me, as i am on a bugget and yes i have been offered free stalking but could not afford the b&b and the cost of getting there.

regards Anthony

Anthony
i agree with what you are saying , as i am in the same boat
i can't afford much more than what i do now
luckily most of my stalking is free :D

as we develope in the stalking game all that will happen is costs will only rise
that is not what i called heading forward, as it prices itself out of the market for a lot of geniune folk
which then will suffer as they are then forced to pay out such sums of money to carry on in thier chosen direction because it is forced on them, directly or indirectly
this is life i was told :confused:

training is cheap if you are motivated , a group of you can evoke such a day at a very low cost, just need a plan to work to
assesment is then made easier if you all work to the same guidlines and are already upto to speed before you take any assesment
but it is the guidlines we need to agree on and except
as for travel
like i say enough interest in your area means limited travelling for most concerned
ATB

Stone,

People do not pick up on game shoots, for free and a pheasant is only worth pennies.

What is £30 or £40 for a successful find of a Red stag worth £400 in venison alone or a Lifetime trophy of a Gold Sika stag worth £800 for the trophy and another £150 for the venison.

Good dogs are not cheap. So why should people who do not have time to train one or space to keep one or even a lifestyle that allows you to have a deer dog, not be expected to contribute a little to someone who turns out on a freezing cold wet December night. Complete with their deer dog that cost £500 as a pup costs £40 a month to feed, £15 a month to insure, £50 a year to inoculate, £50 to get stitched up when it cuts itself on the stock fence finding their lost deer.

Not to mention the diesel for the handler to get there and back.

And you want them want them to do it all for free AND then spend even more travelling to working tests that WILL eventually become compulsory and costly just as the BASC / BDS Level 1 courses have. :confused:

BASC already charge £175 for their Dogs for Deer course. :evil:

Sorry you idea of utopia dose not float my boat.

I have run dogs in working test and trails and the dogs I used are were never the first choice dogs for beating,picking up or shooting.

Trails / working test dogs and proper shooting dogs are as different as chalk and cheese.

Just MHO what do I know I have only been doing this 25years :lol:

Stand buck

lets try looking at this in another way
a pheasant is worth say £30 (low end)
you normaly shoot say 70-150 birds on a reasonable day
now if you are talking trophy shooting
then add another tenner per bird +vat and double the bag size
then you are talking £2 a brace for any remaing birds possibly more if oven ready
those that hav such shooting or stalking normally will hav a trained dog/s in place already of their own or defo one at hand

dogs in a picking up line are suitably trained as a rule and that normally comes from years of training experience or being suitably trained by others
luckily those people hav come up through the ranks by word of mouth
if they started the whole process again of working dogs for shooting as such,
then what sort of testing would be devised for that
they hav a system that works so can't see any reason for any-one to try and devise a new one or testing to boot
stalking dogs are new to the whole concept , though they hav been around for many years , centuries infact one way or another, but only now is the UK grasping that fact due to the upsurge in new stalkers that are being bombarded with the fact they need to get a dog
i agree , they don't
if those dog handlers years ago had pushed their weight in the stalking world, we would not be talking about it now and be more on how tests hav gone to far or that breeding has changed
as for costs for doing the job
i beat and pick up for free , hav never not done since i started to work
but yes a bit of petrol money has been helpfull at times
but any more grattitude than that, has been through a days shooting, pigeon shooting , bit of rabbiting and lots of foxing
once had a bit of stalking thrown in for good measures :eek:
it was offered i never asked :D
but for those that are after more reward money wise, then make sure you are suitably insured for your own piece of mind;)

regards

Stand buck

I am with you on this one, we all know that the best feild trial dog in the world are not what the keepers wont, they look very good picking up that 400-500 yard blind retrieve wile his 8-9 compaions sit with there master and the picker up the other end of the line has all his dogs out hunting finding birds that are worth £30-£50 each.
I have many freinds who trail dogs and they tell me its bad to let there dogs hunt to much.
as you say chalk and cheese comes to mind, wheather the same is true of tracking trials i dont know.
as for the money side of it i dont wont any for helping an fellow stalker out i just dont wont to shell out for a pace of paper to tell me my dog is ok at his job.

Anthony

cookingfat said:
as for the money side of it i dont wont any for helping an fellow stalker out i just dont wont to shell out for a pace of paper to tell me my dog is ok at his job.

Anthony

now we are getting somewhere
for those that know me already know that i am not about coining in, that is why i hav lots of potential names with available dogs willing to come on board and help where they can, if they can
guys and gals thank you for the pm's concerning this 8)
as for that piece of paper Anthony
i think you are being mislead here
testing does not me qualifations , might be more to do with prooven ability and commitment
word of mouth also at times comes with chinese whispers
so some times it is better to be sure ;)
but if this is taken on by a higher authority then testing will mean a bit of paper and command a high price to suit
surely we are better to avoid that as much as poss
regards

Back