What woodburner

Got a Broseley hercules. Big but a great job. Take a look at the new Broseley Evolution, they apparently qualify for the new renewable energy payment

Morso has my vote:
Well built cracking fire will last you a long time
Fitted 3 of them now - 1 day each; dead easy !

best deals for Morso and all kit and rough guide is :

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/

Good fmaily service; supplies parts and advise at good prices ( prepare to haggle )

TOMSK

Another vote for Morso - after having buckled the front of a steel stove one windy night, went for a Squirrel and never had any trouble with!

Not what your looking for, but I have an Charnwood Inset multi fuel with back boiler
i feel it's the best decision Ive made, runs 6 rads and the house is always warm, so a thumbs up for Charnwood

woodburner regs

Thread revival, I have just bought a woodburner and intend to get it installed shortly question for the woodburner users on here did you install it in accordance with the building regulations document J ? 200mm either side of unit flue length of 4.5M etc? Guy I spoke with said that as long as the chimney is in good condition and passes the smoke tests when being swept I could get away with 1M on Flue from the burner. Prefer to have flue right up to the chimney when possible if it is easy enough to do.

it will run better and easier with a liner.

by smoke test I hope he dosent mean let a smoke bomb off to see if the smoke rises? it should be a pressure test,

BTW Part J is a safety guidence, try explaining to your insurance why you ignored it after the house carches fire?

Would prefer to fit a flue to the chimney top if possible however the guidance says There is currently no maximum or minimum length specified for single skin flue pipe which connects a stove to a chimney. Single skin flue pipe may not pass through any roof space, floor or internal wall. We asked Barrie Meridew, independant chimney consultant and he said:There is currently no mention of minimum or maximum lengths of flue pipe used to connect a solid fuel appliance to a chimney, other than the flue pipe not being permitted to extend beyond the room in which the appliance is located. Cost is of course higher but I would prefer the flue extended right the way up exiting the chimney.

Below from stoves online:At Stovesonline we recommend that, if you want to use single skin flue pipe, that the most you should have is 1000mm, with a recommendation of a maximum of 1500mm. The reason we make these recommendations is that a lot of heat will transfer to the room from the uninsulated flue pipe. This leaves the flue gases colder and therefore more soot, tar, and other deposits will condense in the chimney. This increases the risk of chimney fire. Please be aware that modern stoves that have very efficient combustion produce relatively cold flue gases. Undoubtedly your chimney will work better if it is entirely insulated so as to keep the flue gases as warm as possible - this will promote a better draw from the chimney as well as reducing deposits.Some people seem to be under the impression that you have to have a length of single skin flue pipe to start with before connecting to a liner or twin wall flue system. This is not the case, although with low grade or cheap liners or twin wall flue pipe, using a section of single skin flue pipe can be a good idea to reduce heat damage from flames tracking up the chimney.We asked Barrie Meridew, independant chimney consultant about the heat loss from single skin flue pipe and he said: As this heat would otherwise be used to ensure good venting characteristics and reduce the condensation potential within the flue, the flue pipe should be kept as short as possible - if used at all. Making a direct contact to the appliance spigot with an insulated flue or chimney section will always provide the better chimney performance.I intend to fit a liner just reading up at this stage. Dont want to suffer from poor draw and a smokey chimney

Have the burner ready to go, basically searching to find an affordable liner from the flue up. Chap that visited to discuss prepping my fireplace said it wasnt necessary but I want it to be fitted iaw the regs and have a liner for not just safety but peace of mind. Keen to do the work myself where possible though as I hate to pay good money for a service that I could do with a bit of reading and graft. Fitting the liner cant be rocket science just the tidying up/plastering I will seek help for I think. Will measure up for the register plate later today.

If you are intending to fit a stove without a chimney liner the single wall flue must not extend more than 150mm above the register plate. The plate must be galvanised steel at least 1.5mm thick or stainless steel at least 1mm. An access door must be provided to allow cleaning the top of the plate.

Approved Document J is not guidance, it comprises part of the building regulations, if you ignore it you can be prosecuted.

If you are not registered under a competent persons scheme (eg: HETAS) you are legally required to notify your local Building Control Dept before commencing work. Different local authorities approach solid fuel installation differently, most are quite happy to certify your DIY work for a fee (one of our local councils charges £300), some will not accept that you are competent to carry out the work unless you have attended a training course.

Back