.270 in woodland

Herne

Hi All,

I am looking for some informed opinion; I have a Sako 75 in .270 which gives good service on hill reds and I am happy with.

Recently I have picked up some woodland stalking in very close cover with a mixture of reds and roe. I have not yet taken a shot there but all my encounters with deer have been in the 5-50m range close to very thick cover.

I am concerned that my .270 may not be the tool for the job, thoughts anyone?

Herne

Herne,

I would not be to concerned about it. The 270win is a versotile rifle and will cope just fine.

When i had by 270 i used it for everything from Hill stags to lamping fox. Even with a fox in the lamp at 50 yards it would expend no problem. I dont see any problems shooting deer with it at close ranges.

ATB
Ads

If it works, it works mate! :D

Seriously though, is there a problem, such as meat damage, you have noticed or do you want a second, possibly shorter and/or moderated rifle for the thick stuff?

Regards,

Amir

GH,

My main concerns related to high velocity rounds not putting the animal down quickly enough, this isn't a problem on the hill, but in the boondocks - well I got lost in there last week! A secondary concern was meat damage on roe using fast rounds at close range.

My .270 is moderated, but I was considering a round perhaps considered as more of an all-rounder.

Herne

Herne

If it helps, I use a .308 for everything - munties, roe and fallow down South, reds up in Scotland. It's managed shots from 160 yards down to bayonet-range :eek:

There's a lot to be said for being a 'one-rifle' stalker ;)

willie_gunn

Thanks Willie,

My second favourite fly BTW ;)

I agree - one rifle is plenty for me and it hasn't troubled me until I bumped a buck at 10yds last week and thought "what would I have done, if I had my rifle"? Such close range is not usual for an open hill guy that I have been up until now.

Incidentally, the look of utter surprise on his face had me creased up with laughter, I had heard him browsing from down the hill so was more prepared for the encounter.....

Rgds

H

You could use 150grainers for woodland which will get the speed down if that is the concern. You'll have a higher chance of an exit wound also. Speed will be close to that of a 308 with 150gr. If you hand load, you could back off a little towards the lower end of the charge and have a softer shooting woodland round.

edi

ejg,

I like the lateral approach here, I don't home load and have used 130grn Norma's quite happily, I have also used 110grn Nosler BTs, one does 3200 the other 3500+fps. the lighter bullet is functionally flat to 250yds.

Sako do a 156grain round that I had considered might be more appropriate, anyone tried these?

The criteria is a round which will put a beast down quickly with an acceptable level of damage to smaller species.

Thanks all, this is helpful.

H

A digression here:

This is ridiculous British firearms law not allowing low velocity - high energy calibres such as 8x57 or 9.3x62, ideal in this situation, to be used. :cry:

Regards,
Greg

Blimey,

I was thinking of a 6.5x55 or maybe a .308.

I remember reading somewhere that the modern "obsession" with velocity was unhelpful in most hunting situations but it could have been in the context of big game hunting in the former colonies where large/dangerous game combined with thick cover meant short ranges but big requirement for "stopping power".

I am now officially at the end of my practical knowledge on the subject, as Mr McNab said (or something like it) I like to pull the trigger and know it's going to fall over.

H

Hi Herne,

Well internet wisdom has it that high-velocity imparts more "shock" to a well shot beast than a slow velocity round of the same energy.

What the truth is I don't know but it sounds to me as there is not really a problem here, you just want to make sure there won't be a problem in future.

Try the 156 grains load by all means mate, but I'm not sure it'll make much difference.

I've had a 150 grain Nosler Partition deflect off a unseen, tiny twig 12" in front of roe doe in the woods 5" low, on the other hand well hit but spooked deer have still gone 100 yards.

In fact the only deer I have seen drop from anything other than a CNS shot was CWD shot with a soft bullet from a 30.06, CNS is the only sure route I know to drop them on the spot.

HTH,

Amir

GH,

You are probably right. I will just have to make the judgement when the shot presents itself.

Anyway, I have an enthusiastic dog who can assist if needs be.

Thanks all.

H

Herne, I had this concern a few years ago. Handload. Just go for a heavier bullet and a bit less powder.

My solution is a 140gr Hornady BTSP (Interlock), with 51.5gr N160. Velocity is cetainly under 2800 fps. Kills stuff really dead, always get an exit, great blood trail, noot too much blodshot meat.

Was shooting some Federal classic factory loads a few months ago - bloody horrible compared to my hand loads. This rifle is unmoderated.

Herne,
I use a .270 down south in and around woodland on roe and foxes. I feed it 130 gr Nosler Ballistic SilverTips and find no difference between it and .243's i have. The only difference between it and a 'smaller' calibre is that when you get it 'wrong', it makes sure that there is a deer to retrieve and not one with a small chip in it which is vanishing over the skyline. Having one or two rifles in the cabinet does give you the option of taking one out if you have knocked the other and need to re-zero it before use but when the munties make an appearance around here, the .270 will be reached for again. My butcher is happy with the results as well!

I've used a 7x64 , wich is very similar , for years in woodland .
Shooting distances between 30 and 100 meters . I only use factory ammo . I used Federal 160 grain Nosler Partition and 170 grain Sako Hammerhead . Both were very acceptable , not to much meat dammage.
Specialy the Nosler Partition is very clean .
Maybe try the heavy 156 grain Sako or Norma ammo , the 150 grain Nosler Partition or the new Winchester E-tip ( monolithic bullet by Nosler ) .

I would agree with the previous suggestions on opting for a heavier bullet. Speaking as a member of the woodland .308 camp I found that the standard selection of 150gn rounds were a little too vicious for my liking so decided to try going up the scale. I found the Norma Alaska at 180gn an excellent stopper without incurring excessive carcass damage. Wallet damage, however, is extensive. My usual brew nowadays is the Sako Powerhead at 165gn which is exceptionally clean, even on shoulder shot muntjac at 50 yds. They are a little kinder on the wad as well.

The question is do you want a second rifle - in which case the different stalking environment is a wonderful excuse.

The 270 like most calibres is easy to criticise and praise. Hand loading does allow you more scope for varying velocity, but choice of bullet is everything. There is more difference in bullets within calibres than between calibres, as you can use a light hollow point to a premium and expensive controlled expanding bullet. The premium bullets are expensive, but unless you are doing an awful lot of shooting cheaper than a second rifle.

I have seen 130g 270 that was apparently (the owners words) good on the hill really mess a muntjac carcase at 30 yards, the 150 was fine.

I am in Leicestershire. I have some of the Sako bullets mentioned - about 40.

They are the weight they are to comply with certain game laws requiring a minimum of a 10 grams (154 grain) bullet for elk!

So on a lightweight muntjac I'm not sure how they would perform. They'd certainly pass through...but would they expand?

They also looked to me like the ideal all-purpose bullet. But I think that now supplies are all gone here in UK?

If anyone knows where more can be got from please let me know. Norman Clarke has NONE left I am told.

If you want to try some then please PM me. I've also some Sierra 150 grain soft point boat tail - about 100. I want to be rid of those as they are in my cabinet "blocking" part of my "expanding missile" allotment. So they are available cheap.

So I'm back simply because it is readily available to an all around 140 grain Hornady Interlock with 55.4 of H4831 at 2856fps. My loading of the same bullet with 52.4 of VV N160 gives 2858fps.

I've had three .270 rifles over a period of some years and my personal preference has always been for "heavy for the calibre" 150 grn bullets.
I have never shot muntjac but have shot a large number of roe and fallow and always found that 150grn bullets worked fine and never caused excessive meat damage, in fact they cause less meat damage than the majority of .243 bullets.
I only shoot at stalking distances so never have the need of boatail bullets, nor have I found the need for anything exotic as simple spitzer or even roundnosed soft points have done the job with no fuss.
I have in the past had a problem on roe with a certain weight of sierra bullet in .308 pencilling through the deer with very little expansion (165grain), and this I put down to the bullet being intended for larger game. My solution was to go back to 150grn bullets for roe.

Back