You have to buy a gun!!!

Peter Eaton

Just got a call from a pal. He has an open FAC but sold his guns a year or so ago as he wasnt using them, but intended to buy another when the time was right.
He got a call from FLO and was told....if you dont have guns you either have too... Surrender your FAC or apply for a variation (at cost per gun) and then buy new guns....ie £26 per gun I think?

Now the last time I checked (and as in Shooting Times last year) you dont have to buy a gun to have an FAC.

Also if you have an FAC and you have the slots for specific calibres you dont have to apply for a variation to purchase the same calibre again? Correct me if I am wrong but we can sell our riflse and buy another as many times as we like at no cost with regards to my FAC, ew can also do one for ones at no cost too??

Think you have to apply to have the vacant slot re-opened after informing the FLO that you have sold your rifle within a specified time period?
Not sure in this, but it might be that if he didnt do a 1 for 1 in time he might have to pay for a new slot?

I've just bought a new gun in the same calibre, had to fill in a variation form. Standard FAC without the referees.
But at no cost. The only time I've been pulled up for some cash I bought a new rifle and it came with a mod. The mod was a variation so I had to pay.
Was not worth making a fuss.
But I've have hear police forces removing tickets for people who do not purchases rifles.

How do you provide 'good reason' for the slots on a FAC when that slot has not been filled in a reasonable period of time?

Bit different if you are waiting for the 'right' oddball calibre but if it's something like a .22RF, .243 or a .308 you could have a slot filling rifle for under £100 and plink a few rounds off.

I know of a chap who lost a slot on his FAC because it was not filled in a 5 year period.

You need to send cert back with a 101 to open the slots back up. There is no charge assuming you don't increase your total gun holding.

But you dont have to own a rifle to have an FAC do you? it isnt a case of fuss as such as he was told.....no rifles ..you will surrender your FAC, well that cant be correct as you dont have to own a rifle, the FAC gives you permission to possess a rifle..if it meant you had to purchase how long do you have to purchase a rifle. With regards to a a variation , he was told if you want to but a rifle in the same calibre it will cost you...surely not as the FAC is still valid??

Cheers guys for the replies

I've got two slots on my FAC unfilled and have had for four years with no problems from my FLD I suppose at renewal the FLO may ask the question but up until now I've had no problems with mine....

From what was said in the shooting times...good reason would be either...having the land for the quarry you wish to hunt....ie for that calibre, hence you can have a dangerous game calibre and use it once in a blue moon abroad. Or you can apply for a bit of stalking and use someone elses gun...NOT under the estate rilfe rule...ie not in their site...as you will have permission with your own FAC to possess....NOT own said calibre. If you you ned to own a calibre to have an FAC what would be the time limit to buy...weeks , months a year?

i had a spare slot on my FAC for 5 years, and on renewal i had to justify why i hadnt filled the slot. I own a .22 rimfire and have a spare slot for another .22 rimfire, i explained why i hadnt brought a rifle to fill the spare slot and west mercia where happy to reissue with the spare slot
atb
simon

i had a spare slot on my FAC for 5 years, and on renewal i had to justify why i hadnt filled the slot. I own a .22 rimfire and have a spare slot for another .22 rimfire, i explained why i hadnt brought a rifle to fill the spare slot and west mercia where happy to reissue with the spare slot
atb
simon

Yep ...agree with that, as I said to my mate, on renewal that would be the case...but he has two years left on his ticket.

If your friend sold his rifles. And informed his firearms department of there sales. But didn't fill in a variation form and send his ticket in to keep slots with in 7 days he would have lost them.

And now will have to pay the 26 pound fee. This fee isn't per slot though. If he wants 22lr.223.243 and 308 etc then it still only comes to 26 pound. If the firearms officer has told him different he dont know what he is on about.

Of course you have to give good reasons for them all again

Last edited:
Yep ...agree with that, as I said to my mate, on renewal that would be the case...but he has two years left on his ticket.

He also had filled his slots but sold in order to buy another gun before his ticket expired...all above bored and he let the police know, seems now he must apply for his calibres again...bit odd as his FAC has two years left on it. If this is the case it would surely mean every time you sold a gun ....could be ten times ..whatever..you must apply for a variation....and be charged??

If your friend sold his rifles. And informed his firearms department of there sales. But didn't fill in a variation form and send his ticket in to keep slots with in 7 days he would have lost them.

And now will have to pay the 26 pound fee. This fee isn't per slot though. If he wants 22lr.223.243 and 308 etc then it still only comes to 26 pound. If the firearms officer has told him different he dont know what he is on about.

As far as I am aware he did that...though it still doesnt explain the matter of you must surrender your FAC if no guns...

if you use a friends rifle i throught you had to have it your FAC might be wrong.
but with him losing his slots he should try asking BASC for some help, every police seems to have its own rules and not always with in home office guidelines either

if you use a friends rifle i throught you had to have it your FAC might be wrong.
but with him losing his slots he should try asking BASC for some help, every police seems to have its own rules and not always with in home office guidelines either

You only have to havbe the calibre....as two people cant own a calibre, though another can have access I believe, hence you can buy stalking and hire a rifle if you have that calibre on your cert, if not you have to use the estate rifle clause i think?

And now will have to pay the 26 pound fee. This fee isn't per slot though. If he wants 22lr.223.243 and 308 etc then it still only comes to 26 pound. If the firearms officer has told him different he dont know what he is on about

Jay 22 is correct in his post regarding the requirement for a variation, so that is resolved.

The other issue of the police requiring the surrender of the firearm certificate, simply because no firearm is currently held is another matter. Your friend should write to the firearms licensing manager and inform him/her that he will not be surrendering the fac as it his intention to apply for a variation authorising further acquisitions during the life time of the certificate. If there is any further nonsense from the police, then refer it to the BASC firearms team, who will deal with it effectively.
Do not surrender the fac.

The last issue of whether the police should challenge a certificate holder for failing to acquire a firearm that is authorised (unused slot) during the lifetime of the certificate, is dealt with in the Home Office Guidance. The police should not make such a challenge but if the authority remains unused at renewal then it will enquired into. That does not mean that an unused authority to acquire would not be renewed but simply that it would be enquired into for 'good reason', etc.

You only have to havbe the calibre....as two people cant own a calibre, though another can have access I believe, hence you can buy stalking and hire a rifle if you have that calibre on your cert, if not you have to use the estate rifle clause i think?

not technically distinguished on your FAC
I have two other people's firearms on mine despite not legally owning them

it will cost the chap the same to add his friends rifle under the variation as it will to add his friends rifle and 16 other rifles.

either way if he didnt apply to convert actual rifles into authorisation slot under a "1for1" when he sold them they would simply disappear and he would have an empty FAC.

he has had calibre before, he should have no issue demonstrating good reason,
either way it is only £26.

but in my opinion variations are like "one visit salad buffets"
pile on as much as you can the first time round! (you can always swap with a 1for1 if you change your mind!)

Jay 22 is correct in his post regarding the requirement for a variation, so that is resolved.

The other issue of the police requiring the surrender of the firearm certificate, simply because no firearm is currently held is another matter. Your friend should write to the firearms licensing manager and inform him/her that he will not be surrendering the fac as it his intention to apply for a variation authorising further acquisitions during the life time of the certificate. If there is any further nonsense from the police, then refer it to the BASC firearms team, who will deal with it effectively.
Do not surrender the fac.

The last issue of whether the police should challenge a certificate holder for failing to acquire a firearm that is authorised (unused slot) during the lifetime of the certificate, is dealt with in the Home Office Guidance. The police should not make such a challenge but if the authority remains unused at renewal then it will enquired into. That does not mean that an unused authority to acquire would not be renewed but simply that it would be enquired into for 'good reason', etc.

Time for him to move to Scotland then I know of 3 gents that hold FAC's who do not hold any weapons ,but they do go to both full bore and small bore shooting clubs when there employment allows ,as the work away for home months at a time .

Back