Running In

willowbank

Hi chaps,

Previously I have just taken new rifles out of the boxes and got on with it, however local "experts" at the rifle club have tutted and said I should have run the barrels in, by doing this and doing that, so whats the score?

What, if there is, the proper way to treat a new barrel?

Thanks for any advice from our resident experts on this.

ATB WB

The purpose of running in is to lap the bore and knock off burrs and smooth out imperfections. I think ho long this takes depends on the internal finish of the bore. I tend to shoot one or two shots then clean for up to 10 shots, then clean after every five shots for five groups. Sometimes during this I have noticed that the barrel suddenly becomes easier to clean. I then figure the running in has been done. I used to then clean every 10-20 shots but now will go to 40-50 shots between cleans providing accuracy is maintained.
With my last barrel (a Bartlein) it was very clean right from the start but others have taken 40-50 shots before coming clean.

There was a thread on this a while ago, I may have even started it "breaking in a new barrel"- conclusion was good quality/custom barrels don't need it, and the benefit on standard barrels is debatable! This said I figured it couldn't hurt so I do it with my guns: clean after every shot for the first 5 shots, then clean after every 5 shots for 50 shots, then enjoy your rifle!

IMHO running in a barrel is no 1 a waste of bullets,and no 2 a waste of useful barrel life not to mention the time involved doing it, yes in the past I fell into the must shoot it in first brigade but from what I have learned it
makes no difference to the barrel its either a shooter or its not, sure keep it clean but sight it in and enjoy don't see any reason which makes any sense at all making it worth going through all that !!! just my own thinking

Maybe a silly question but does the accuracy/ point of impact change as the barrel 'breaks in'?

Accuracy can change. Usually it gets better as you shoot it. The thing is that running in, per se, is senseless. If the barrel is good, just shoot it. If the barrel is visibly rough, no amount of running in or prayer will cure it. I have had people tell me how "running in" made their rifle shoot better and I say, "Prove it. Prove to me that it would shoot better if you hadn't run it in." Of course, they can't. And of course, I can't prove otherwise, either. I look at it this way: If I had a custom barreled rifle made and the maker told me to "...run it in to take the burrs off and smooth out imperfections in the barrel" I'd say WTF??!!!! And hand it back to him. Wouldn't you?~Muir

BunnyD it was you - Breaking in a new rifle...?

There are as many for as against. Its your rifle and your decision. Looking back I'd edit out the specific number of shots from my post to the above thread - far better to rely on what the barrel tells you through the rod, because there isnt any magic number.

If something works for people they are understandably happy and equally understandable they are perplexed if others arrive at a different findings. That's just life - vive la difference! :D

You mention experts. Many are called, few are chosen! I always view it as :- X - mathematical symbol for an unknown quantity or Ex - a has been. sPert - a drip under pressure. Continuing to learn as life goes on, but tend to believe a true expert only offers an opinion if asked for one. this maybe a useful filter if you find yourself surrounded on the range! ;)

Whichever why you go, enjoy your rifle.

BunnyD it was you - Breaking in a new rifle...?

There are as many for as against. Its your rifle and your decision. Looking back I'd edit out the specific number of shots from my post to the above thread - far better to rely on what the barrel tells you through the rod, because there isnt any magic number.

If something works for people they are understandably happy and equally understandable they are perplexed if others arrive at a different findings. That's just life - vive la difference! :D

You mention experts. Many are called, few are chosen! I always view it as :- X - mathematical symbol for an unknown quantity or Ex - a has been. sPert - a drip under pressure. Continuing to learn as life goes on, but tend to believe a true expert only offers an opinion if asked for one. this maybe a useful filter if you find yourself surrounded on the range! ;)

Whichever why you go, enjoy your rifle.

Haha just read my post - would you believe I've still not got a final date on my redundancy, other than that it "will probably be in March"?!!! - That's my only defence for having over a thousand posts in a year (WTF!!!); sat around waiting for the end LOL :D

Personally I have never bothered running in a barrel be it a factory or a custom barrel and have never had any issues with accuracy because I haven't done it

Haha just read my post - would you believe I've still not got a final date on my redundancy, other than that it "will probably be in March"?!!! - That's my only defence for having over a thousand posts in a year (WTF!!!); sat around waiting for the end LOL :D

More to the point have you married her yet lol,

thanks for all the replies will follow the clean after each shot for 5 then shoot 5 and clean til 50 then crack on... but not overheat the barrel.

Cheers WB

You have to remember when you buy a rifle or other firearm in the UK it has allready been through the proof house, who spend there time trying to blow up your lovely new gun, so when you get it remember who the last guy to shoot it was.

You have to remember when you buy a rifle or other firearm in the UK it has allready been through the proof house, who spend there time trying to blow up your lovely new gun, so when you get it remember who the last guy to shoot it was.

Thats what I have always been curious of I've heard they put 2-5 shots through it but what bullet do they fire down it do they bother cleaning it after use etc etc makes a mockery of the running in process really when you think about it doesn't it....

Mongoose. I see what you are getting at - but the process ( granted - only if you believe worth doing ) is about finishing the surface of the bore. Makes no difference that it has been fired before - though the more its been fired, the harder to get back to bare bore and the increased chance some damage has been done that will be harder or impossible to treat this way.

Really not pushing it - completely support other people having different views and experience. So long as an individual is happy with their choice.

Mongoose. I see what you are getting at - but the process ( granted - only if you believe worth doing ) is about finishing the surface of the bore. Makes no difference that it has been fired before - though the more its been fired, the harder to get back to bare bore and the increased chance some damage has been done that will be harder or impossible to treat this way.

Really not pushing it - completely support other people having different views and experience. So long as an individual is happy with their choice.

But you see, that's the point. The true devotees of this religion would tell you that all hope is lost if any rounds are fired before those specified in The Ritual of Firing and Cleaning. Which.... makes it senseless for any rifle that has left a factory (testfired: boom.boom.boom. Rod down the barrel twice, dry patch, boxed and sent off) or in the UK, proofed.

I don't think any damage ensues from these first rounds. I don't think any harm comes from 'running in' either. I think we can all agree that the less number of times a rod passes down the bore of our favorite fire stick, the happier we feel about it. I can't abide subjecting a good barrel to two months worth of cleanings on the first outing. Rods wear barrels faster than bullets. JMHO~Muir

I'd give it a proper clean out the box to get rid of any grease or anti-corrosives and thereafter just shoot it.
Of the last 5 rifles I've owned I "ran in" one. Can't say it made a blind bit of difference.

Back