Plenty of Reds near Thetford.

Hodmedod.one

I saw a very large group of Reds on a field south of the A1066 about 2 miles SE of Thetford at dusk yesterday (Shadwell Estate). Some nice looking heads amongst them.
I estimated 150-200, my wife thought 200-250.

Lovely to see.

They have some cracking stags there as they don't take many big ones. Great to see big herds like that, hope some of them will have walked next door by the time I visit again shortly!

shadwell is the owner and i dont thinks the estate is overly bothered they can afford it !

Do they farm it themselves or have a tenant on? I've known other occasions where an estate is more than happy to have plenty of deer or, the tenants who aren't allowed to touch them, less so.

Novice

Do they farm it themselves or have a tenant on? I've known other occasions where an estate is more than happy to have plenty of deer or, the tenants who aren't allowed to touch them, less so.

Novice

im 99% sure they do , the owner is on of the richest men in the world an owns emerites air lines

I saw a very large group of Reds
I estimated 150-200, my wife thought 200-250.

Lovely to see.

Does she always overestimate size? ;)

Back on track, I have done many early morning / late night trips along the A1066 (to / from Southwold via Halesworth for sea fishing) and the numbers of Reds I have seen seemed to be reducing.

Nice to hear they are thriving in such numbers again.

About 26 years ago I worked near Brandon we drilled some boreholes for water to be used for the centre parks site when they built it
in the 8 months I worked there we had access all over the estate which if I remember right was owned by the Guinness family ? And the deer numbers were huge with wild stags to be very proud of . It was a magical place to work and I spent many hours watching the deer there . Since then I have rarely been back to that area and was wondering if its still the magical place it once was ?
regards andy

CWD, thats Elveden Estate which is tottally different from Shadwell Estate.

also very close to Shadwell Estate is Euston Estate, where you can book days stalking with Chris and go after some of those reds that frequent the two estates

Yes it was called elveden estate and I think their ground went right up to the Air Force base
fantastic area when I was there
regards andy

you are correct CWD, runs up to the base, quite often go watch the deer, plenty of Fallow about as well, i work on base so not far to go see them.

Cwd, you are as goldy says, correct, my patch borders them directly with some cracking beasties on it, shadwell do have some monsters though, I was chatting to one of their stalkers a while back, and he was saying that once the sheikh has shot a stag of x amount of points he won't ever shoot another one smaller, always after the next biggest, I think his last one was around 24 points, but you should see how much they feed them! Carrots by the lorry load......and yes, they do farm most of the estate themselves, some is let, some managed by natural England as a nature reserve etc, but as Lee said, they ain't short of a bob or two......he wanted to release capercaillie on the estate as he enjoyed shooting them so much, but having got a load in cages, he then wasn't allowed to release them under the wildlife and countryside act......so they released a load of wild turkeys instead and shoot them, quite a site to see a spaniel try and pick one of them up after a drive!

Back