Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BASC Advice Query?

BASC Advice Query?

Hi everyone,

I called the BASC the other day asking for some advice on putting in for a variation or a one for one. I got through to a well-known gentleman in the BASC Firearms Department and whilst we were chatting about the usual requirements for a one for one or variation, he asked "what caliber are you thinking of"? When I said I was going to go for a 7mm 08 I was told that this was a very rare caliber and that as far as he was aware there was only one rifle of that caliber in the country. Obviously this completely flummoxed me and so I asked him again, “I mean the 7 08 Remington... the necked down .308”? Again he confirmed that this was a rare caliber and that I would find it very hard to find a rifle and ammunition.

Answers on a post card please - How rare is the 7mm 08? I was under the impression this was a 'normal' round for deer and I shouldn't have too many problems buying a new rifle in the caliber and if I load my own too, I should be ok?

I now at least six people that use 7mm 08 and was thinking about one myself. It is one of the choices you can have when you look at the sako 85 varmint.
    Hope you get on ok.

I don't have a 7mm-08 myself but one of my friends from our club has one of these very rare rifles. atb Tim

I have one, I buy ammo from my local gunshop, I can think of at least 20 or so other people on here with this "rare" caliber.

They are about as rare as Landrovers around here.
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

I think there must be some sort of misunderstanding or miscommunication there Roelander because while rifles in 7mm-8 aren't available straight off the shelf in most gun dealers it isn't exactly rare.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Nr Newport (shrops)
    are you sure he wasnt wineding you up lol????????????

Thanks everyone,

I thought as much! I don't want to start a BASC bashing thread but I came off the phone thinking 'and I'm paying for this service too'! Normally the BASC are pretty good but on this occasion I think they must have been confused over another caliber.... hopefully.

There's another thread on here with a poll on what people on the SD use as their main deer rifle and the 7-08 was the choice of about 6% of people. So not one of the favourites, but not unheard of either. However .308, 6.5 Swedish and .243 together made up ~70% of all users, making everything else a bit niche. Not all manufacturers make rifles in this chambering, but ones that do are Sako, Tikka, Steyr Mannlicher, Remington, although admittedly not all off the shelf. I've just had to wait for 6 months for mine, although I gather that's not actually too bad compared to some. Sourcing ammunition off the shelf is a bit of a chore, but if you know what you want, your gunshop will order it as it's easily available from importers from Remington and Federal. Not sure why no-one imports any of the European loads. I know that Norma make it, as do some of the smaller French companies, generally with heavier bullets (150-180gr) as most people in France use them on driven boar.

Not a rare calibre, but no overly common like 308 and 243. I have just had a client off this site who has ordered this calibre and did comment that the ammo was pricey, but looking around you should find it fairly easily. Loading your own will help as well.

Good luck

Ha ha he has just posted previous to me
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to