Bullet bits!

TGEvans

Hi guys, Im nearly ready to start buying bullet components for home loading. Just wondered what some of you guys may reccomend I get for my gun. I have got an old Ruger M77 MK1 in .308. The ammo that suits my gun the best is remington core lokt 150 grain. I have got plenty of once fired cases to get me going. So its just primers, bullet heads and powder im needing. How do the Remington cases compare to say Norma or Lapua? Thanks in advance guys, Tim.

Rem cases will do you just fine (don't let the benchrest chaps convince you otherwise)
I personally use Norma but that is because I had several hundred once fired like you.

source bits you can get locally, regularly and without trouble.
some bits seem to be in short supply at the moment, especially primers

Hi guys, Im nearly ready to start buying bullet components for home loading. Just wondered what some of you guys may reccomend I get for my gun. I have got an old Ruger M77 MK1 in .308. The ammo that suits my gun the best is remington core lokt 150 grain. I have got plenty of once fired cases to get me going. So its just primers, bullet heads and powder im needing. How do the Remington cases compare to say Norma or Lapua? Thanks in advance guys, Tim.

heres an interesting link that may help you
http://www.shell-central.com/Brass_Prep1.html

Hi. Accurate (now Lovex) 2520 is a great .308 powder, very versatile and being a ball powder it runs through a powder measure like water. It's also one of the cheaper brands and doesn't come from the U.S. where mister Obama has the shooters stripping the shelves in panic. I get my S&B primers from the same source: Westlander.

just got some varget how much has that gone up OMG £43 cci 200's £36 yee gods think that geco stuff may be the way forward for a bit?
h4895 £41

Westlander are a good company to deal with but what I can't understand is how the NRA can sell the same products at the phoenix meeting as Westlander but cheaper. Westlander supply the NRA and sell from their own stand at the phoenix.

It all depends on what you are shooting and at range,if you are shooting the likes of muntjac and roe at short range,then a 130 gr S P over 48 gr of BL-C 2 is a great load .That said I have used that load for fallow and red ,but just about any 150 S P should do the job at ranges up to 200 yrd.Vit N 140 and Vit N 540 are good for 308 and at about £65 per Kilo (2.2 Lb) it's cheap.

I use TR140 powder in my 7.62 target-rifle. The stuff seems good value at £50/kg, if you have a local stockist.
It is allegedly similar to, but not the same as, N140.

Indeed, TR140 is extremely close in performance to N140 (and cheaper!), I use 41gr of N140 or 42gr of TR140 in my .308 and can get 1/2moa with Nosler CC, Lapua Scenar or A-Max 168gr.

Back