Timed out etc.

H

Hillbilly

This site now ranks as the worst site I have ever been on for connection problems, server errors etc. Why oh why can't someting be done to sort it out? I get so bored I even look at ebay for gods sake!

I had the same problem and thought it might have had something to do with my ten year old PC but now I have an 'all singing dancing' one it is still the same. :(

I tried to send a pm to a member the other night by the time I managed it thro "timed out" etc the poor chap had seven copies of my pm it is bloody annoying :evil: :evil:

I have to say that I too find pages very slow to load compared with other fora and have on many occasions been timed out before they load. It needs looking at.

I think that you should think about the costs of running a forum like this, I would imagine that we use a fair bit of bandwidth and its not cheap.

I'm sure the admin could go to a faster more reliable server if they charged some sort of subscription for the use of the forum.

Its like someone getting into your car for a free lift somewhere and them telling you its **** and really uncomfortable. And implying you should upgrade it so that their journey is better..

Just my tuppenny worth.

Thats a fair comment.

So why dont they have an Icon at the bottom of the forum home page that can be clicked on to enable members to make a donation. Have it set up to a paypal account and people can donate a couple of quid if they want to. Help with the running costs of the forum.
I have seen it on another forum and it generates a few hundread quid a year.

Ads

I am sure that we all agree that this can be frustrating, but, lets face it, it is an excellent site and it is worth putting up with until the admin team manage to sort it. :)

thats a good point auquhollie, maybe Admin will let us know. Maybe they didn't think of it....

I'm with ads, wouldn't mind making a donation and have things up dated a little. Although its a bit clunky it's still a great site.

George

auquhollie said:
Thats a fair comment.

So why dont they have an Icon at the bottom of the forum home page that can be clicked on to enable members to make a donation. Have it set up to a paypal account and people can donate a couple of quid if they want to. Help with the running costs of the forum.
I have seen it on another forum and it generates a few hundred quid a year.

Ads
I'd have to agree with that, Admin do a great job, but surely we could all contribute a few squids if it would help to improve things. Having said that, I do find that the double click thing does help things along quite considerably.
Cheers, Pete.

I run a forum, the software and server cost no more than £60 a year and that's the full blown business version with tons of storage and bandwidth. This sites always been like this, at least since I've been hanging around. I don't get problems on other forums, it's more likely a set up problem in the wires than a money problem.

A lot of time I dont even get images or ads.

Donate money if you think it'll help but I'd ask for it back if it doesnt improve things.

Nix Niveus said:
Donate money if you think it'll help but I'd ask for it back if it doesn't improve things.

That's a strange comment to make

The admin put in a lot of work and time on sites like this, as you should know if you run one of this calibre.

SteveOh said:
Nix Niveus said:
Donate money if you think it'll help but I'd ask for it back if it doesn't improve things.
That's a strange comment to make
The admin put in a lot of work and time on sites like this, as you should know if you run one of this calibre.

Stevo,
I read that as more of a 'throw away' remark rather than one to comment on :)

Once I set my forum up it runs itself. In relation to this site the admin team bought it ready made and it still looks the same as it did then. I also see advertising and admin advertising their own stalking to let so I assume they already generate income from the site.

Doesn't alter anything - bandwidth and storage are so cheap that buying more won't solve set up issues.

I don't wish to denigrate the efforts of Admin in this excellent forum but I'm a member of plenty of free forums with more content that load far more quickly than this one does. I just had three attempts to get this page to load. Quite frankly were the threads and posts less interesting I wouldn't bother so often.

I don't know if it's of any help to anyone else, but after problems on another site, at the advice of the webmaster, I changed from Internet Explorer to Firefox as my default browser. It's certainly improved things for my access to The SD forum. As yet no timed outs and only single click to get to where I want to go :D I think others recommended Firefox some time ago on this site, did anybody else try it?
Cheers, Pete.

All

I know slow response is still a pain but......

I have noticed that when I've posted duplicate posts - or rather, when the system has posted duplicates for me :confused: - there is now the option on the last post to Delete it (this appears as a button at the top with an "X" on it, next to the "quote" and "edit" buttons).

Clicking on the delete button and then confirming is much quicker than editing the last post and changing the content to "Duplicate Post", which was the old way of doing it.

willie_gunn

Fire fox works well with me, very seldom have problems. and if a page doesnt load a click on the refresh button and its there.

clunky site

Hey guys, If you didn't want to be be here ???, not everyone can afford to be like accuratereloaders site!, we just have to get on with it!, If it survives it survives, I'll just keep logging on repeatedly till I get it done!, It's just a patience thing , a bit like stalking really!!! :D

Back