Pulsar DFA75

270Buck

Hi,

Anyone got a Pulsar DFA75 yet?

Does it do what is says on the tin?

What scope are you using it with, calibre and make of rifle etc?

Cheers

I'm also interested, but to me it's unclear "what it says on the tin"... That is, information regarding its performance is very vague (and actually misleading).

Looking forward seeing some pictures through the daytime scope, preferably in comparison with N750.

I received a call from Scot Country to say that my unit is available. I would also like to hear from anyone who has used it......

The trouble with comparison picture are - they will be taken through the front add on unit so you won't be seeing through the scope like you do with the N750 - the image quality will always be better through a dedicated unit.
There is a good link on here to some info on SC's web site explaining how the DFA75 image/POI works or doesn't depending on what you were expecting. Best to read through it before you order one I think !!

Got one here mounted on a Swaro and first impressions are very good and to my eye a better image quality than the dedicated N550 with doubler that it replaced.On board IR totally hopeless but as with the 550 totally transformed with either a god laser and better still with the Nightmaster IR
Haven't had any time to try it properly but had a quick look in the fields behind my house last night and picked up a fox at a good 250yds on 10x which was easily identifiable.

Got one here mounted on a Swaro and first impressions are very good and to my eye a better image quality than the dedicated N550 with doubler that it replaced.On board IR totally hopeless but as with the 550 totally transformed with either a god laser and better still with the Nightmaster IR
Haven't had any time to try it properly but had a quick look in the fields behind my house last night and picked up a fox at a good 250yds on 10x which was easily identifiable.

Music to my ears!. Waiting for my one to arrive where it will initially be used as a monocular (weapon mountable NV is illegal here) but looking forward to using it in the UK. Many thanks for the encouraging words.

If you mount it on a variable make sure it can go down to a low mag (3 or 4).I first mounted it on a 5-30 but couldn't see any of the readings on the bottom of the screen.Nearly phoned up the importers to tell them it wasn't working :doh:

It was a bit of a bugger to get the mounting ring right so the crosshair was central as well but we got there in the end.Got the Swaro Ballistic turrets set up at 100,150 and 200 which should negate the need for this POI compensation as well

Pulsar Forward Forward DFA75 - Got One - Great But Scope Limitations

Hi, Got mine two days ago. VERY good. Only issue is you are limited by the min mag of your scope. Namely cannot see menu with a scope mag of any more than 4/5 times and is not recommended to use with any mag more than 6/7 x. You will also need medium to high scope mounts to clear your barrel for the adapter mount and probably the external rechargeable battery pack is a good idea as the unit is power hungry.

As a consequence of the above findings I am in the market to change my current Docter Sport 8-25 x 50/A,Plex scope for something with a min mag of 3-4 times upwards and 50mm objective. Would be nice if it had an IR too but not critical.

The Pulsar unit works REALLY well too with the Nightmaster 800 IR torch. Very good clarity.

Good universal solution which can be swapped between rifles so long as the scope you use has a min mag power of no more than 3/4. Otherwise you won’t be able to see the set up menu. Otherwise so far so good and very impressed. Hopefully with later versions the unit will get smaller but ok for now and a lot more comfortable to shoot than rear add-on units. (Better rifle balance).

If anyone wants to know anything more just let me know.

Hi All,
Since posting the above message I tried the same out on the range on two different rifles/scopes and the same still shoots 4" low at 7 o'clock of the aiming point. This in spite of adjusting the aiming point on the unit to match the scope as per manual. Spoken with SC and the distributors Thomas Jacks and suspect a faulty unit? Anyone any ideas/similar experience? Other than the POI not lining up the rest is all good, but currently just a great spotter until I get this sorted.

Hi Wsm. Thank you for your message. Yep, lined up the x & y axis's with that of my day scope. Have switched the unit off and back on to check the same has been locked into the unit and it matches that of the day scope. Horizon bar level with day scope cross hairs too. I know the manual has '2 stages' with adjusting the 'aiming point' but canne think I am missing anything else? I have changed over two of my scopes for those with a starting mag of x3 especially to take the Pulsar and expect a 50mm objective adapter to fit them to arrive tomorrow. (Currently been trying the unit with a 56mm adapter on a 56mm objective scope, but with a starting mag of x 6 so not had full view of the menu so far. Going to try again with the x 3 m scope in one last ditch attempt then agreed with SC on teh advise of Thomas Jack's to swap for a replacement unit most probabaly now at the Kelso Stalking Fair a week on Sat if still no joy. Quite frustrating as everything else is great about the unit, but cannot seem to get it to shift from 4" low at 7 o'clock from the scope zero POI. I understand from Ash at TJ whilst there have been issues that have come up with the first users of the unit (mostly to do with the adapter mounting and compatible scope mags) this will be the first possible faulty unit which won't line up with the day scope zero. Any other suggestions/comments warmly welcomed.

After you've lined up the x and y with your scope crosshair have you pressed the selector button and got the red square ? If you've got this try moving the red cross to the middle of the box (which should change the figures and be set at x=0,y=0).If you've already done this have you tried setting the red crosshair to different points in the box to see if it alters impact point ?
Other than try this I'm at a loss to know whats wrong

Hi Wsm,

Many thanks for your further suggestion which I will try tmrw when hopefully the 50mm adapater arrives and I can use it on my new x3mag scope which will enable me to see the entire menu.

Must admit I remain a bit unsure how the aiming point is finally adjusted to the x=0,y=0. Will give it a go and test it on the .22 first as wasted enough ammo already in my previous attempts. Hopefully it is just a matter of me doing it correctly rather than a faulty unit.

If I am still struggling will also endeavour to get some 'hands on' coaching from the SC guys at Kelso.

I am sure I will get it cracked as it really is a great bit of kit.
How have your found the onboard IR illuminator switch? Mine tends to switch itself off somtimes. Switch seems a bit too flimsy for my liking.

I used the on board IR once and then discarded it in favour of a Nightmaster.Good out to 200 yards plus on 10x and extremely clear to identify at longer ranges.

I had the problem of not being able to see the menu on a Swaro 5-30 but changed to a 3-18 it was fine.I had exactly the same problem as you and was setting the x and y to the numbers they corresponded to when aligned to the crosshair which is how the crap instructions read.Just remember you need to get up the screen with the red box where you can move the crosshair which should centre as I say at x=0,y=0.
Any problems pm me and I'll send you my number and talk you through it

Wsm

Hello all,

Although our sales office was open as usual, I have been away for a few days on a cycling expedition so not had chance to reply to PM's etc until now, apologies.

Happy to say most DFA75 owners now really happy with performance, and after a few teething issues, have it set up and working well.

Sporting Rifle magazine will be featuring a full test in a forthcoming issue and they have been getting good results.

I agree that the manual could have been a little clearer in terms of set up, and for the not so tech savvy, a little difficult to get to grasps with initially, so brought this up with Pulsar UK, who have in turn spoken with the factory, and I am pleased to announce that they will soon be launching a comprehensive set up video to go along with the instructions showing how the device should be attached, and configured where required.

Bear in mind should you wish to try a DFA75 before you commit to buy you can borrow one of our two demo units, which you can use at home for 7 days, and either return for a full refund or a new unit to be sent to you. (conditions apply)

Alternatively if logistically suited, you can come along to try out a unit in our dark tunnel either here at our sales office, or at a exhibition etc , next one is http://www.deerstalkingfair.co.uk in two weeks.

Last edited:
Hi All,
Since posting the above message I tried the same out on the range on two different rifles/scopes and the same still shoots 4" low at 7 o'clock of the aiming point. This in spite of adjusting the aiming point on the unit to match the scope as per manual. Spoken with SC and the distributors Thomas Jacks and suspect a faulty unit? Anyone any ideas/similar experience? Other than the POI not lining up the rest is all good, but currently just a great spotter until I get this sorted.
Bare with me here as I've not had my hands one one, if I understand correctly, you can 'adjust' an aiming point (crosshairs?) to match up with the crosshairs of your dayscope ?
If that's the case, how much does the unit weigh ?
Now try hanging something else off the front of your scope that weighs the same, and check zero. My bet is that the added weight on the front of your tube is flexing it, so affecting your zero, this is why the military's front add on units don't attach to the scope, but to a stock mounted,piccatinny rail over the barrel, so as not to alter the zero on the dayscope, nor the harmonics of the barrel. I'm not knocking the pulsar unit or it's mounting, you just need to be aware of the zero shift within your dayscope with a lump of nv hanging on the front of it.
Hth
Regards
Pete

Quote: 'I used the on board IR once and then discarded it in favour of a Nightmaster.Good out to 200 yards plus on 10x and extremely clear to identify at longer ranges. I had the problem of not being able to see the menu on a Swaro 5-30 but changed to a 3-18 it was fine.'

Would it be possible to use a 6x Swaro, but take the Pulsar unit off to read & work the meuns? I appreciate that it would be a fiddle, but would it be possible, and how usable would it be once done? If there's a video output could this be used for setup?

Thanks,
Simon.

Last edited:
Quote: 'I used the on board IR once and then discarded it in favour of a Nightmaster.Good out to 200 yards plus on 10x and extremely clear to identify at longer ranges. I had the problem of not being able to see the menu on a Swaro 5-30 but changed to a 3-18 it was fine.'

Would it be possible to use a 6x Swaro, but take the Pulsar unit off to read & work the meuns? I appreciate that it would be a fiddle, but would it be possible, and how usable would it be once done? If there's a video output could this be used for setup?

Thanks,
Simon.

Don't know how you'd manage to get a good sight picture at 6x.I've had a thought that I'd try a scope shade in between to see if that widened the field of view but haven't got round to it yet
Its not going to work taking it off because you'd need another scope and the fittings to see the menu which wouldn't help the adjustments you needed for the original set up.Video output wouldn't work either because the unit sits in front of the scope so you wouldn't see the crosshair.

Thanks WSM. I assumed you might be able to read the bottom of the screen, once removed, without another scope. Is it not possible to view the screen by eye? (then perform an operation/make an adjustment & bung it back on to try) Might be a bit of a faff, but I assume it's a one off activity on initial setup only?
Also, I understood that as part of the setup, that you have to negotiate the menus & perform alignment of the digital crosshair with the scope's reticle. If there's too much zoom I can understand how the menus might be out of the field of view, but surely the menus & crosshairs etc would be shown on any video output? If the controls could be manipulated via the video output I'm hoping that the digital crosshair could be moved to a position central enough to be viewed through the scope & fine tuned, whilst the menus etc are viewed externally. I bought a Swaro 6-24 a few hours before reading this post - hence my persistence!!

Back