Which new knife ?

Acm

Got rid of all my knives I don't use and getting something good , I hope !
Tried the bear grylls ones - pants
gerber - okay but cheap
mora - okay again but crap sheaths , and the steels okay .
Swingblade - just can't get on with it ! Hence mine being for sale , my choice is now narrowed to the following , opinions please :
Karesuando Knives: Karesuando Knives G10 Survival --- Heinnie Haynes - Knives, Pocket Tools and Accessories

Fixed Blade Knives: Boker Knives Arbolito --- Heinnie Haynes - Knives, Pocket Tools and Accessories

Fixed Blade Knives: Gerber Knives Gator Fixed Knives --- Heinnie Haynes - Knives, Pocket Tools and Accessories

Folding Knives: EKA Knives Swede 10 Rubber --- Heinnie Haynes - Knives, Pocket Tools and Accessories

as a knife fan myself you have some great choices there bud can i suggest some hennine sells them so check them?
helle odell great knife triple laminated blade handle great lovely and tactile elk antler and leather small compact very easy to use and keep sharp, the karesuando boar again grate knife great sheath great for the doing the nasty on the deer, the fallkniven F1 or PHK proffesional hunter knife both amazing knives and blades the F1 does need some work i alterd the blade profile on mine ( i had it reground by a lad at longstrider knives double excellent). if you want total custom for sensible money i have a jacklore from jacklore knives either google or youtube it youll like that im sure...let me know how you get on or if you want some more help more than happy to.
cheers
scout

Thanks for the reply buddy , that helles lovely isn't it ! And I've already got a karresuando , but wanted something I can just chuck in the washing machine .

i have a Boker and love it. However if I ever have to replace it I would buy a Cold Steel Master Hunter my mate has one and I think its the dogs doodaas.
Tusker

ACM

I have a used Fallkniven H1 and used Fallkniven TK2 surplus to requirements if you are in the market for second hand?

P.M me if interested.

Regards

Ed

The trouble with knives is they are such personal items, mail order buying is always a leap in the dark. From your shortlist I'd have the Karesuando. It looks to have the best blade profile for field work and it just looks very handy. If its as good as Karesuando usually are it would seem to be good value too. I would say Karesuando or Boker will be superior to Gerber. The EKA uses the same blade steel as the swingblade. I've got one of those and I find it useless at holding an edge. Its relegated to larder use now where the unzipper comes in handy.
And I don't like clip point blades for gralloching.

I use one of these as my regular stalking knife and its a corker: http://www.heinniehaynes.co.uk/Boke...ives/Arbolito-Relincho-Madera/p-116-969-8575/

And if I could justify it I'd get one of these: http://www.heinniehaynes.co.uk/Boker-Knives/Fixed-Blade-Knives/Savannah/p-116-969-3045/ I know someone who uses one and its a superb quality piece. Though I'd have to get another sheath made. That one looks like a lady's undergarment.

ACM,

Based on the style of knife you selected in the links I agree with others who have suggested you have a look at Cold Steel knives. I use a Pendleton Lite Hunter, which is superb for the money (about £16). It has a solid, polypropylene, type handle. If you want a rubber handle you'd need a Hunter or Master Hunter.

The steels they use are superb and the blade shapes and profiles are spot on for gralloching. Thy are worth a look.

Cheers,

Bob

Acm
Being from Sweden I`ve no idea about the situation in the UK regarding knife smiths but my suggestion is that you contact a couple of them regarding your own ideas and see what he/she comes up with.
I did what you have done and got rid of all my factory knives and bought two custom knives made after my own head. I`m pretty sure I won`t be needing any other knives as long as I`m around.
Good luck.
//Rolf

Hi all , just to close the thread , I bought a fallkniven tk2 in 3 g steel and its awesome . Also an enzo trapper , that too is very good .

Have a look at the Cold Steel Finn Bear. Inexpensive, not very pretty, but does the job.

Cheers boggles but the cold steel knives are in my opinion not as good as a mora . Made in Taiwan . I've tried a few and they need sharpening after every deer . The fallkniven however has now done 3 deer and butchered 2 goats and a few other bits and it just needs a touch on a fine whetstone .

Hi all , just to close the thread , I bought a fallkniven tk2 in 3 g steel and its awesome . Also an enzo trapper , that too is very good .

I bought a TK2 recently too ACM, your right, they are indeed awesome.
Just added a long oange paracord lanyard to it in the hope I never misplace it :oops:
Good luck!

Thanks for advice ACM. I'll have a look at a fallkniven next time I'm in the market for a knife.

I bought a TK2 recently too ACM, your right, they are indeed awesome.
Just added a long oange paracord lanyard to it in the hope I never misplace it :oops:
Good luck!
I was lucky and bought mine second hand for very little . Bloody pricey otherwise !

Which steel did you opt for on your Enzo Trapper and how're you finding it?

Back