Anyone into Karate?? Had 1st lesson today!

stratts

Me, the Mrs and our twin boys all went to our 1st Karate lesson this morning and I'm starting to ache in places unused for quite some time!!!

At the ripe old age of 40 we decided that as we would probably be watching them train, we may as well learn ourselves too. Time will tell if we all continue, but it was good to get a bit if exercise for a change and it may help my tight back muscles from sitting around at work all day!

I'll be cracking the xmas walnuts in my tight bootocks this year!! :lol:

Anyone else into Karate or martial arts of any kind and have you any tips?

Cheers

Sensei-Itchi-Nackasaki-Stratts!!

Me, the Mrs and our twin boys all went to our 1st Karate lesson this morning and I'm starting to ache in places unused for quite some time!!!

At the ripe old age of 40 we decided that as we would probably be watching them train, we may as well learn ourselves too. Time will tell if we all continue, but it was good to get a bit if exercise for a change and it may help my tight back muscles from sitting around at work all day!

I'll be cracking the xmas walnuts in my tight bootocks this year!! :lol:

Anyone else into Karate or martial arts of any kind and have you any tips?

Cheers

Sensei-Itchi-Nackasaki-Stratts!!

im into judo black belt and also Krav Maga, do MMA training twice a week Judo once a week, I really enjoy it started when I was young and it certainly teaches you respect at a young age which carries with you as your growing up......

Trained from age 7 to 19 - yushin Kai & ryu kyu kobijitusu (oriental weaponry), ty-ga karate, and Muay Thai - trained 4/5 days a week... Then went to Uni and discovered beer and girls... 12 years later and I'm an expert at chow mein, sushi, and tsing tsao ;)

Did Muay Thai and kick boxing in my
younger years . Started taekwondo
15 month ago with two of the kids we
are all now at blue belt going for red tag
in April we enjoy it. Only tip would be
to stretch as much at home as you can
and to practise what you have been tough
at home . I started at 46

I've done jitsu for nearly 30 years got to 4th dan under Inouye, plus mixed in with a lot of Karate lads training, exchanging ideas and techniques still do a bit of teaching but I got fed up with the politics. I suggest you don't involve yourself breaking blocks and bricks. In later life (I'm 65 at christmas) you'll find your hands and feet will become arthritic. Enjoy it but be prepared for some hard knocks, I ended up with a busted nose (teach me not to block with my head :lol:) and a busted ankle due to a really bad landing on concrete.

i used to do a lot of shotokan kartare when i was younger and then re-took it back up a few years ago but ive had to stop when my son was born which was a real shame as i was very close to getting my 1st dan but thats the way it goes, must admit i do miss it but i dont miss the my style beats your style idiots all the best with it tho

I've done jitsu for nearly 30 years got to 4th dan under Inouye, plus mixed in with a lot of Karate lads training, exchanging ideas and techniques still do a bit of teaching but I got fed up with the politics. I suggest you don't involve yourself breaking blocks and bricks. In later life (I'm 65 at christmas) you'll find your hands and feet will become arthritic. Enjoy it but be prepared for some hard knocks, I ended up with a busted nose (teach me not to block with my head :lol:) and a busted ankle due to a really bad landing on concrete.
Have to agree with the the blocks and bricks theory ... they don`t fight back.

Studied " Kung foo " ( I hate that expression as the mandirn translation results to "work done") from age 14 too 28. Study and practise and conditioning resulted in about 17 sessions a week. As my understanding got better about 8 of those would be assisting teachers with lessons. That way you had to think about what you were doing. It ended with me having my own classes. Teaching basics in Win Chung and Mantis.

Towards the end of that perticular study period I was almost completely studying Ti chi in long yang style and lots of chi cung. So most of my time learning time was spent studying that. So about 9 seasons were spent in the direction.

A change of jobs and shift work led to me not being able to study quite so much. So I just practised the basics for the interim period. I returned to Ti Chi about 3 weeks ago. But due to the life style now, things like early morning stalking and family will mean that a I might get about 3 sessions a week. That's fine I'm quite a bit older now!

Interesting thing, one of the younger students that I helped train before I scaled down. Whent to China with his work. But managed to stay within the school. He studied under direct lineage. He is now my instructor. He is very good too.

Your never to old to get into the martial arts. Regardless of the method deliverd, or form it takes. Anyone studying martial arts arrives at the same destination at the end. Keep at it even if it makes no sence at times.

im 17 and have been boxing for 2 yrs , its good fun but after training for 1 fight iv decided its too much to try nd fit in boxing , shooting , farming and a girlfriend :) the fitness side of it is amazing though

Did Shotokan for about 2 1/2 yrs, never really enjoyed it, could of taken up Aikido while doing Shotokan.
Biggest mistake I could of made, as work and kids took precedent, my lad took up Muay Thai, and one of the guys also did Aikijujitsu, which I took up at the age of 55, and I loved it, wished I'd found it, or done Aikido years ago

Unfortunately Arthritis stopped me carrying on with it, (wrists, hands, shoulder, knees,) was one unhappy bunny when I gave that up

As others have said plenty of stretches.

Been doing Iaido (various styles) for about 35 years. Still active in it but the wear and tear on the knees is showing. As with all things in life, if the teachers in your early years are good and teach you to balance all the aspect of the discipline they teach then you'll do just fine.

Stretching ? Vital both before and after.

FN

Kukido (Traditional Tae kwon Do/Judo/Hapkido combined) 1st Dan, First point black belt. Studied Kenpo and Kung fu as a younger man. I have studied Iron Palm since I was young and continue with daily exercises tho I seldom attempt breaking any more.~Muir

Blimey I never knew there were so many styles of martial arts?!

I won't be getting into breaking things with my hands, etc, I just want to be able to defend myself once the kids start beating me up :lol:

Also I read so many stories of delinquent yoofs these days I want to try and get the kids to learn some respect, control & conduct themselves in society and be able to pan (I mean defend themselves) against any dicks they come across!! ;)

I certainly need to spend time on my stretches coz I feel like a lump of cold play-doh this morning!! :doh:

Blimey I never knew there were so many styles of martial arts?!

I won't be getting into breaking things with my hands, etc, I just want to be able to defend myself once the kids start beating me up :lol:

Also I read so many stories of delinquent yoofs these days I want to try and get the kids to learn some respect, control & conduct themselves in society and be able to pan (I mean defend themselves) against any dicks they come across!! ;)

I certainly need to spend time on my stretches coz I feel like a lump of cold play-doh this morning!! :doh:

it certainly is a good way of showing respect to others, I can't say I no of anybody who I've done classes with who turned out to be a wrongun whilst growing up my niece and nephew 5 and 7 are a great example of what it can do for young children, your doing the right thing IMO getting them in too it good luck with it all........

Black belt in traditional jiu jitsu under Robert Clarck in 1996 went on to study Brazilian jiu jitsu and set up one of the first full time mma centres in the country. Don't do much now as the old body just don't want it.

Well being a double Black belt at Nae Kan doo i will just keep on deer stalking for my exercise :oops:

Well being a double Black belt at Nae Kan doo i will just keep on deer stalking for my exercise :oops:

lol having looked at your pictures from the competence day, I'd second it that you require a double black belt and maybe even a 24 hour girdle to hold in that belly.

We have been invited to a competition in April
my daughter is having her first novice fight in tkd

Back