Yukon Photon.

gunner269

Work prevented me from visiting this years Shooting Show, did anyone who went get to see the new Yukon Photon night vision scope? If so, does it appear to be any good? If someone who either saw it or actually used it could post their views it would be really helpful, as I dont want to order one ' blind'. Thanks, Gunner.

I looked at it at the BSS - it looks very good for the ££'s, the general feeling among the NV community is - it's going to be a big seller only downside I can see is tieing up a rifle - The Wardy vision digi add on is due out soon too.

Work prevented me from visiting this years Shooting Show, did anyone who went get to see the new Yukon Photon night vision scope? If so, does it appear to be any good? If someone who either saw it or actually used it could post their views it would be really helpful, as I dont want to order one ' blind'. Thanks, Gunner.

I also saw it at the show. It looked promising. The view (in daylight) looked very similar to that from my Bresser 5x50 digital monocular (same as Newton Hornet). If it works as well at night it will be useful, particularly with extra illumination.

It has only three controls, which is a good thing IMHO. A brightness adjustment for the digital bit (which seemed to work much the same as my Bresser), front focus adjustment which is important as depth of field is quite shallow, and reticle illumination. Eyepiece is also adjustable for eyesight variation. Video out socket for use with recorder or external screen.

It fits using standard 'scope rings, so should be easy to swap with a day 'scope using e.g. Weaver or Picatinny mounts.

Much neater than e.g. an N550, and if the price is kept sensible I will be interested in getting one. Was considering modifying my Bresser into an add-on, but if the price is right this could give similar results with none of the hassle.

I have been trialling a Yukon Photon 5x42V, which is the laser IR model.

I was initially sceptical, as for a retail price of sub £400 (as indicated it may be) I wasn't sure if it would cut the mustard.

We took it out mounted to a non firing test rig, and with a labrador sized object we tested it at 50, 80, and 100 meters and it performed very well indeed, firstly in low light 6-7pm and then 10-11pm in complete darkness with 90% cloud cover.

Combined with a Nightmaster NM800IR it was fantastic, and I can honestly say (without my sales hat on) that it was the best NV device this side of £1000 i have used.

We have shot a demo video, however as we do not know a confirmed retail price, and indeed delivery date, and we are already inundated with enquiries since the shooting show, we have not posted it as it would create a LOT more interest...

photon2_1.jpg

Paul

Thanks very much guys, I think you've made my mind up for me. Now it's just a matter of waiting til theyre available.

Hi Gunner

Are you attending the Deerstalking Fair in Kelso later this month?

Only a short blat up the A1 for you, and you can come and try the Photon and the latest kit out on the stand.

We have a night vision demo tunnel on the two days where you can try kit out, in complete darkness (albeit at reduced ranges)

We will have video footage to show you at the show, of the Photon at 150m scanning over rabbit burrows with the Nightmaster, and you couldnt tell it wasnt with a N750.

Paul

Back