Ghillie suits

Beowulf

Hi all,
Does anyone here use a ghillie suit? Most people I ask get funny about the subject and say things like 'why do you want one, thinking of becoming a friggin sniper'!
In fact no! But ghillie suits owe their existance to the Scottish Ghillies who wore them for stalking and anti poaching operations. Some of these ghillies went on to serve in the 'Lovats Scouts' and put these suits and their stalking skills to good use in the First World War as these Highland gentlemen made excellent snipers and intelligence gatherers.

So history lesson out of the way, does anyone use one and are they any good?

Mr B,

I have never used one or know anyone that has used one for stalking, but I did read an article once where a stalker wearing one reckoned he walked across an open field to within 20 yards of a group of grazing deer. Naturally he walked slowly, that is the extent of my knowledge of them I am afraid, nothing first hand.

John

Never used one but I've watched marines near where we used to live in Devon. Amazing.

If you want a good price on a ready made one give me a pm, I can get hold of them.

Hi B.

I have one but tend to only wear the top. The one I have is similar to http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr3202.html this. Its light, I tend to wear it simply as a lightweight jacket rather than for concealment. One major problem is that I find that it can get hooked up on the bolt or worse the bipod. I deliberately bought one that was not too heavily covered with material, but still have a problem. I think it works quite well. I am not sure it has any real advantages over a normal shootong jacket but in the summer I do find it very handy.

Hi B

I managed to walk within 30m of grazing roe in a high viz vest (yes I was wearing other clothes :oops: )
I hope you are not ghilling up to take out those mountain bikers :evil: :evil:

Hi Mark,
The ground that I stalk is rather small and requires that I get into position and wait for light. I use a high seat or just sit under a tree. The muntjac can appear from anywhere. If I decide to move all I see is munties running in all directions! Its not like I can go to the other end of the ground and stalk somewhere else! I have a good number of muntjac but no room for error on a stalk. I'm thinking that at least with the use of a ghillie suit I can sit out in the open fields but still remain concealed.
As for the moutain bikes, I wait until I know there will be people about and then walk around the edge of the land permission. As I encounter mountain bikes, ramblers and joggers I politely say hello but offer no reason why I have a rifle slung over my shoulder. I'm purposeful but polite and always smile. The thing is they don't like it! So far though they seem to be getting the message. 8)

Hi Pete,
My research comes from two sources:- 'OUT OF NOWHERE' A History of The Military Sniper by Martin Pegler published by Osprey. The reference to the ghillie suit is on page 129 under the heading 'THE LOVAT EFFECT'.
The other source is the Regiments historical website. Although the use of camouflage suits is recorded by George Catlin in his books about the American Native Indians nearly a century earlier. I think that this is not a new invention and would have been used all around the world at different times in history.
My interest in this subject is from its development as a military item and its subsequent use by modern day hunters.

Your other option is to make a snipers net. you can buy the basic olive drab cotton net from army surplus and its about 4' square. Add some loops and other bits of burlap, sacking cam net, grass leaves etc.
Once in a good shooting position unroll the net and wrap yourself up in it, it should be enough to breakup your outline and handy to pack up so you dont look to 'military' as you move to and from the layup point.
Here's a link
http://www.rifle-cases.co.uk/Ghillie-Suits.asp

Mark

Cheers Mark,
This is a good idea! I would rather have something that I could carry about, deploy and roll up again without having to walk around looking like a Dr Who villian. Thanks I'll give it a try.

Personally Pete I don't care what the origins are of the ghillie suit and don't feel that I need to defend the history books. If your 'beef' is that my information is incorrect, I say 'so what' is everything on this site 100% correct.
The belief is that the ghillie suit comes from the Highland Ghillie thats good enough for most people. What will disproving it do? Nothing it alters nothing.
I've got the information I require, this thread has served its purpose 'job done'.

Pete,
Good luck with your search. I think there was some mention of a ghillie suit in a 'London Illustrated Post' article. I don't know which one. I collect Victorian deer stalking prints and came across it.

Apart from the ghillie meaning 'boy' in the gaelic language. The Irish have legends of fairey folk called 'Ghillie Dhu'. They are discribed as covered in twigs and leaves and were tree guardians.

Back